We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
BMW 8 car insurance rates
Compare costs for covering this accessible sports car.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The “8” in this model’s name stands for its top-tier ranking when compared to other BMW series. Its MSRP rings in accordingly, at $112,895, and should cost between $159 to $240 on average to insure each month. Still, it’s less expensive than other luxury competitors, like Ferraris or Mercedes, so it may fit the bill if you’re looking for a fast car that doesn’t require millionaire status to maintain.
Compare car insurance providers for the BMW 8
How much does BMW 8 car insurance cost?
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
How do I compare insurance for the BMW 8?
BMW refers to its cars as “the ultimate driving machine.” Keep in mind a few factors to get the right protection.
- Body type. It’s a coupe, which tends to be less expensive than a sedan to insure. However, getting coverage on the convertible version will likely be even pricier, since they’re typically more prone to theft.
- Fuel. The BMW 8 is rated at 18 city MPG and 25 highway MPG, averaging out to 20 combined MPG, which is about average for these types of coupes.
- Maintenance. It’s got German engineering, which means repairs likely won’t be easy or cheap. But all MY17 BMWs and newer models come with the BMW Ultimate Care program, which covers scheduled maintenance for the first three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Coverage. You may need to look into luxury insurance for your BMW 8, since it’s more expensive than the average car and typical maximums might not be enough to cover its value.
- Warranty. The initial factory warranty covers most repairs, including the powertrain, corrosion, and limited wear and tear, and lasts four years or 50,000 miles. You’ll also get 24/7 roadside assistance for free during the first four years, so you can get away without additional coverage for that.
- Transmission type. It’s automatic, which can be slightly more expensive to insure than manual due to a pricier gear box.
Does the BMW 8 qualify for discounts?
In addition to an award-winning stylistic design, the BMW-8 comes with some advanced safety features that could help you get a safe car discount on your car insurance.
- Antilock brakes
- Stability control
- Front, side and overhead impact airbags
- Seatbelt pretensioners
- Antitheft security system
- Daytime running lights
- Adaptive brake lights
Why is insurance so high for the BMW 8?
It can go from zero to 60 mph in just 3.6 seconds, is powered by a turbocharged V-8 engine with 523 horsepower and has a relatively high MSRP. This means it’s meant to go fast but costs a lot to repair or replace in the event of a crash, which makes it a risk for insurers.
How reliable is the BMW 8?
This vehicle combines advanced technology, powerful style and high performance, but its track record is less than flawless.
- Safety. It hasn’t been rated by the IIHS, probably because its price tag makes it relatively costly to test crash. But similar models, such as the BMW 2 coupe, have a “good” crashworthiness rating with “advanced” crash avoidance and mitigation.
- Reliability. Online, it hasn’t received any major complaints. But in general, cars with German engineering are known for being pesky to maintain due to their bespoke design. So regular maintenance will be key to keeping your BMW 8 running smoothly.
- Recalls. There’s one recall for the 2019 model, and that’s due to an electrical glitch that can cause an electrical shock or a fire. BMW contacts owners of affected vehicles, repairing and replacing the issue for free.
The BMW 8 can be pricey to insure, but since it’s a mid-range luxury vehicle it shouldn’t be through-the-roof expensive. One way to keep costs reasonable is to shop the market to find the best rates.
Frequently asked questions about the BMW 8
Ask an Expert