Average insurance cost for a Mercedes-Benz
As a top luxury brand, Mercedes-Benz prices its vehicles at a premium, and you’ll probably pay handsomely to insure one too.
Find your Mercedes-Benz model
How a vehicle from Mercedes-Benz affects insurance costs
The pricier purchase price of a Mercedes-Benz means your insurance will be higher as well because this is a costly car to replace or repair. Other factors that insurance companies consider when determining the cost of insurance include the car’s safety rating and its likelihood of being stolen. These last two factors work in your favor to help balance out the cost of insuring one of these luxury vehicles.
Mercedes-Benz car insurance rates by model
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
Are there any standout models?
One of Mercedes’ most luxurious vehicles, the Maybach is the ultimate in comfort. Options include ambient lighting; heated, ventilated and massaging seats; calf rests; and even folding tables for the rear seats. And its distinguished design extends to the vehicle’s performance. Advanced chassis technology, all-wheel drive and a 4.0L biturbo V8 engine make for a powerful, smooth ride.
Prices start at $168,600.
Pros and cons of insuring a Mercedes-Benz
- Good safety ratings
- Not commonly targeted by thieves
- Costly to repair or replace
- More than basic coverage is recommended
About the Mercedes-Benz brand
Mercedes-Benz traces its origins to the 19th century, when Carl Benz created the first automobile — the “Motorwagen” — in 1886. In the same year, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach constructed a petrol-powered stagecoach. The Mercedes-Benz brand was conceived decades later in 1926, through a merger of the companies founded by Daimler and Benz.
Over almost a century, Mercedes-Benz would craft coveted luxury cars and distribute them around the world. In 1963, the large and luxurious Mercedes-Benz 600 put the company in competition with the likes of Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Cadillac. The elegant and well-equipped S-Class collection arrived in the 1970s. And a collaboration with AMG in the 1990s infused Mercedes-Benz models with racecar-like performance improvements.
Today, Mercedes-Benz jostles with BMW, Audi and Lexus for the crown of bestselling luxury brand in the world. It’s the top-selling luxury marque in the United States, buoyed by the popular C-Class, GLE-Class and E-Class models.
Mercedes-Benz car facts
- Buying a Mercedes-Benz isn’t cheap. At the bottom of the manufacturer’s price range, the entry-level coupe will set you back at least $32,700. And you’ll shell out at least $33,400 for the GLA subcompact SUV. At the upper end, you’ll find options like the AMG GT ($112,400 MSRP) and the Maybach ($168,600 MSRP).
- For the price you’ll pay, you’ll enjoy a highly secure ride. Mercedes-Benz models score impeccable safety ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Many models have received IIHS’ Top Safety Pick+ designation.
- Mercedes-Benz vehicles are targeted relatively infrequently by car thieves, which tempers insurance costs.
- You may want more than just minimum liability coverage for your Mercedes-Benz, expanding your protection through an umbrella policy and comprehensive coverage.
What’s the Mercedes Me program?
Mercedes me allows drivers to access all of their car’s info and suite of connected services, all in one place. Registered users can view their maintenance plan, view manuals and how-to videos, connect to a vehicle-tech expert and more. With the Mercedes me app you can start your engine remotely, lock and unlock the doors and sync with Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa.
Companies that offer coverage for Mercedes-Benz vehicles
Most insurers will cover the bestselling Mercedes-Benz models. However, you may have fewer options with certain models — such as the Sprinter, some AMG vehicles, vintage cars and high-priced models.
Compare Mercedes-Benz competitors
Need help considering some other car manufacturers? Compare all car makes
Mercedes aren’t cheap, and neither is the insurance to cover one, so be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Frequently asked questions about Mercedes-Benz
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out: