Allstate car insurance review 2021
Comprehensive protection with more perks and benefits than most, plus personalized support.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want good rates for better protection.
- Pick something else if you want a no-frills basic policy.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Rewards for safe drivers, good students and more
- Get your own dedicated insurance agent
- No discounts for homeowners, military, online quote or multiple cars
- Customer service is ranked average
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Up to 20%, under 25|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Usage-based discount||Yes - up to 20% cash back|
|Other discounts||Economy car – Up to 10%|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
With a broad range of coverage options, ways to save and features built for customer convenience, Allstate has earned its place among the top insurers. You’ll find some of the best perks in the industry, especially for luxury cars.
On the downside, its high rates and middle-ground customer service could disappoint you. Customers complain about the claims process, and unhelpful customer service reps.
Overall, this insurer works best if you’re eligible for its many discounts and redeemable rewards through the safe driver program. But if you’re looking for top-rated customer service or cheaper rates, you’ll probably find better coverage elsewhere.
This article was reviewed by Andrew Flueckiger, a member of the Finder Editorial Review Board and certified insurance counselor and licensed insurance agent in five states.
Allstate car insurance rates
Allstate offers some of the most reasonable rates for drivers in many states, at roughly half the national average for liability-only insurance in Texas.
Compare sample Allstate quotes for different driver profiles and locations. Your insurance rates will vary based on your driver profile.
How to get a free quote from Allstate car insurance
Allstate’s initial application process takes a few minutes to complete online. Then expect a call from an Allstate representative to walk you through any policy specifics.
- Go to Allstate’s website, or call an agent. Start online or call an agent at 877-810-2920.
- Enter your personal information. Provide details like your name, address and birth date.
- Enter your vehicle info. Provide necessary information about your vehicle, such as its make, model and year of manufacture.
What info do I need to apply?
When you begin your application, have the following documentation available:
- Basic contact information for any drivers
- Basic information about the cars, including make, model and year
- Special features or aftermarket equipment installed like antitheft devices
- Allstate may access your driving records, past insurer, insurance claim and credit history to design an auto insurance quote.
What discounts can I get with Allstate?
Save by taking advantage of several Allstate discounts.
- Autopay. Save up to 5% when you set up automatic withdrawal for paying your premium.
- Early signing. Save up to 10% when you sign your policy seven days before it becomes effective.
- Loyalty. Save up to 7% for sticking with Allstate for several years.
- Multipolicy. Bundle your car insurance with a homeowner’s policy for more savings.
- New car. Save up to 15% if your car is this or last year’s model and you’re its first owner.
- Paid in full. Save up to 10% when you pay your policy all at once.
- Paperless. Save up to 10% if you sign up for online statements, documents and policy information.
- Responsible payer. Save up to 5% if you pay all your insurance premiums on time.
- Safe Driving Club. You can save if your driving history meets the Safe Driving Club requirements, like having no accidents within a set time.
- Safety features. Save up to 10% if your car has antilock brakes or an antitheft device.
- Smart student. Qualify if your young driver makes the grade requirements.
How does Allstate Drivewise work?
Allstate Drivewise is a telematics car insurance program that tracks your driving through the Allstate app to reward and encourage safety. You’ll get a driving score that you can improve over time, and potentially receive cashback every six months.
Allstate claims that you can save 40% or more, based on your safe driving skills like your speed, braking and the time of day you drive.
What car insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
Compare policies with simple liability coverage or expand your policy to include extras like rental reimbursements or roadside assistance.
- Collision pays for damage to your vehicle after you hit another car or object, like a fence.
- Comprehensive covers car damage costs caused by something other than a collision like vandalism, theft or fallen trees.
- Liability insurance pays for the medical expenses or property damage of another driver if you’re in an at-fault accident.
- Medical payments covers you and passengers’ medical expenses if you’re injured in a car accident.
- Personal injury pays for your injuries, possible lost wages or other health costs after a covered accident.
- Property damage pays to repair any damage you cause to another driver’s car or property after an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement pays for the cost of renting a car if your vehicle is in the shop after an accident.
- Rideshare insurance covers you while you’re driving for a ridesharing company, such as Uber or Lyft.
- Roadside assistance pays for common roadside services like jumps-starts after a battery failure or a flat tire.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists covers your expenses if you’re in a car accident with an at-fault driver who doesn’t have enough car insurance.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Allstate offer?
Keep an eye out for these extras to determine if they could benefit you and your policy:
- Accident forgiveness. If you add this program, Allstate will waive rate surcharges for the first accident after staying claim-free for a set time.
- Deductible rewards. Get $100 off your collision deductible after each year with no driving violations, up to $500.
- New car replacement. Get a check for a new car if you total your car within its first two model years.
- Pay per mile insurance. Best for low-mileage drivers, Allstate Milewise is its own policy that lets you pay for car insurance by the mile.
- Safe driver rewards program. Allstate Rewards lets you earn points for safe driving that you can trade for gift cards and merchandise.
Allstate car insurance reviews and complaints
Allstate is rated slightly above average for customer satisfaction. Allstate has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of February 2021.
Online reviews show that customers like the coverage options available, helping new customers choose a policy based on cost or coverage levels. However, customers have filed over 1,336 BBB complaints as of 2021, citing delayed claims, improper billing and canceled policies on renewal.
However, large companies often see this many complaints, and many customers only leave reviews if they have a negative experience. Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Zebra call out Allstate’s positive reviews and solid coverage.
Compare Allstate to competitors
See how Allstate’s discounts, perks and coverage fare compared to other car insurance companies. Tap the Compare box to look at companies side by side.
How to find Allstate insurance agents near me
Allstate serves customers with over 10,000 local agents. Use the agent locator to find one near you.
Allstate agent locator
- On the Allstate website, go to Find an agent from the main navigation.
- Enter your ZIP code and view agents by map or list.
- Using the contact information listed, call, email or visit your preferred agent.
How does Allstate bundling work?
Allstate lets you bundle home and auto insurance for up to 10% off your car and 25% off home insurance. But it doesn’t offer as many discounts as its competitors for bundling other policies. Policies that Allstate offers:
- ATVs and snowmobiles
- Identity theft
Frequently asked questions about Allstate car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.