Allstate car insurance review
Comprehensive protection with personalized support
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want good rates for better protection.
- Pick something else if you want a no-frills basic policy.
- Ideal for safe drivers with clean driving records.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone, in-person|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Rewards for safe drivers, good students and more
- Get your own dedicated insurance agent
- No discounts for homeowners, military, online quote or multiple cars
- Customer service is ranked average
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Up to 20%, under 25|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Usage-based discount||Yes - up to 20% cash back|
|Other discounts||Economy car – Up to 10%|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Aliyyah Camp is a publisher helping folks compare personal, student, car and business loans. Prior to joining Finder, she ran her own personal finance blog and wrote for numerous finance sites. Aliyyah earned a BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania. She likes to go to the movies and go for runs outdoors.
With a broad range of coverage options, ways to save and features built for customer convenience, Allstate has earned its place among the top insurance providers. You’ll find some of the best perks in the industry, especially for luxury cars.
But on the downside, its high rates and middle ground customer service could leave you disappointed. Overall, this insurer works best if you take advantage of its many discounts and redeemable rewards through the safe driver program. Otherwise you’ll probably find cheaper rates from a different insurer.
Allstate car insurance rates
|18 year old male||$1,412||$1,878||$809|
|18 year old female||$1,294||$1,821||$636|
|25 year old male||$559||$825||$462|
|25 year old female||$547||$822||$242|
|35 year old male||$391||$637||$242|
|35 year old female||$397||$719||$242|
|45 year old male||$382||$636||$242|
|45 year old female||$388||$718||$242|
|56 year old male||$349||$641||$211|
|56 year old female||$345||$657||$211|
What car insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
Compare policies with simple liability coverage or expand your policy to include uninsured drivers, rental reimbursements, a custom sound system or even towing and roadside assistance.
- Liability insurance
- Personal injury
- Property damage
- Uninsured & underinsured motorists
- Rental car reimbursement
- Medical payments
- Roadside assistance
What extra benefits and add-ons does Allstate offer?
Keep an eye out for these extras to determine if they could benefit you and your policy:
- Reward system for safe drivers. The Allstate Rewards program lets drivers who have a good driving record earn points that can be traded for rewards like gift cards and merchandise.
- Repair shop locator. As an Allstate-covered driver, if you need mechanical repairs to be performed on your car or have been in an accident and need collision services, you can benefit from the repair networks available either on the Allstate website or within the mobile app, easily viewing the providers that are recommended by Allstate in your local area.
- Quick Card Pay. Get your claim payment sent directly to your debit account. Link your Allstate account with your Visa or MasterCard debit card. Instead of waiting for a claim check in the mail, you’ll get paid quickly and more securely.
What discounts can I get with Allstate?
Save more by taking advantage of a number of Allstate discounts:
- New car discount. Save if your vehicle is new and you’re the first owner.
- Multi-policy discount. Bundle your car insurance with a homeowner’s policy for more savings.
- Smart student discount. If your young driver meets the requirements, you might qualify for a discount.
- Anti-lock brake discount. Save up to 10% if your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes.
- Anti-theft discount. Save up to 10% if there’s an anti-theft device in your car.
- EZ pay plan discount. Save up to 5% when you set up automatic withdrawal for paying your premium.
- eSmart discount. Save up to 10% if you sign up for ePolicy, a convenient way to view insurance documents online.
- FullPay discount. Save up to 10% when you pay your policy in full.
- Early signing discount. Save up to 10% when you sign your policy seven days before it becomes effective.
- Responsible payer discount. Save up to 5% if you did not receive a cancellation notice for non-payment in the past year.
- Safe Driving Club. Save big if you meet the safe driving requirements to make it into the club.
Pros and cons of Allstate car insurance
- Comprehensive quote tools. Allstate offers a wide range of tools to help potential customers design a personalized plan.
- Plenty of discounts. Save on your quote with discounts for car safety features, safe drivers and more.
- Dedicated agents. Allstate drivers are assigned an Allstate agent, who can help you find ways to save on your policy, improve your coverage, file an insurance claim and more.
- Coverage costs tend to be above average. Allstate does offer an extensive discounts list, but you can expect to pay slightly more than you would with other comparable providers in some areas.
- Rated average for customer service. While you’ll enjoy personalized service from your Allstate agent, the overall experience with Allstate is ranked average compared to other insurers.
- Lacking several standard discounts. If you’re used to getting a discount for being a homeowner, being in the military or insuring multiple cars, you might miss those benefits when you switch to Allstate.
How to apply for Allstate car insurance
Allstate’s initial application process is fairly simple and takes just a few minutes to complete online. Then you can expect to receive a call from a qualified Allstate representative.
- Go to Allstate’s website, or call an agent. You can get quotes, apply for coverage and even commit to a policy through Allstate’s website or over the phone with an agent. To start the process, visit their site or call an agent at 877-810-2920.
- Enter your personal information. You’ll be prompted to fill in information like your name, date of birth and where you live.
- Enter your vehicle info. Just like you filled out your personal information (or read it aloud to your agent over the phone), provide necessary information about your vehicle such as its make, model and year of manufacture.
What info do I need to apply?
When you begin your insurance application, you should have the following documentation readily available:
- Basic contact information for any drivers on the policy
- Information about the vehicles being covered, including VIN, the car make, model and year, and any features that are specific to your vehicle, including anti-theft devices
Additionally, Allstate may access your driving records, insurance claim history, past auto policies and credit history to design a quote for your auto insurance.
What do customers say about Allstate car insurance?
Allstate isn’t highly rated for customer service, according to data from the Better Business Bureau and other institutions. However, the company is rated average for customer satisfaction, meaning that to most customers, it isn’t significantly better or worse to deal with than other comparable providers.
Allstate has an A+ rating from the BBB, and the provider’s BBB page shows a pending accreditation status. BBB accreditation is a voluntary process, and it isn’t free. Many legitimate businesses that are highly rated and trusted by consumers are not BBB accredited for these reasons.
Online reviews indicate that customers are most pleased with the number of options available, which might allow a new customer to choose a policy based on cost, on levels of coverage or on a need for flexibility.
How to contact Allstate
Allstate’s customer service team can be reached at 877-810-2920. The Allstate Mobile apps also give you a list of department phone numbers, plus tools to locate an agent, get a quote or request roadside assistance.
You can also contact their team through email, or even on Twitter @AllstateCares.
Compare Allstate to competitors
Frequently asked questions about Allstate car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.