Allstate car insurance review Oct 2020
Comprehensive protection with more perks and benefits than most, plus personalized support.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want good rates for better protection.
- Pick something else if you want a no-frills basic policy.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Rewards for safe drivers, good students and more
- Get your own dedicated insurance agent
- No discounts for homeowners, military, online quote or multiple cars
- Customer service is ranked average
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Up to 20%, under 25|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Usage-based discount||Yes - up to 20% cash back|
|Other discounts||Economy car – Up to 10%|
Aliyyah Camp is a writer and personal finance blogger who helps readers compare personal, student, car and business loans. Aliyyah earned a BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania and is based in New York, where she enjoys movies and running outdoors.
With a broad range of coverage options, ways to save and features built for customer convenience, Allstate has earned its place among the top insurance providers. You’ll find some of the best perks in the industry, especially for luxury cars.
But on the downside, its high rates and middle ground customer service could leave you disappointed. Overall, this insurer works best if you take advantage of its many discounts and redeemable rewards through the safe driver program. Otherwise you’ll probably find cheaper rates from a different insurer.
What's in this guide?
- Allstate monthly car insurance rates
- How to apply for Allstate car insurance
- How to find Allstate insurance agents near me
- What discounts can I get with Allstate?
- What car insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
- How does Allstate bundling work?
- Allstate car insurance reviews and complaints
- Pros and cons of Allstate car insurance
- Compare Allstate to competitors
- Frequently asked questions about Allstate car insurance
Allstate monthly car insurance rates
Compare sample Allstate quotes for different driver profiles. Your insurance rates will vary based on your driver profile.
|18 year old male||$118||$157||$67|
|18 year old female||$108||$152||$53|
|25 year old male||$47||$69||$39|
|25 year old female||$46||$69||$21|
|35 year old male||$33||$53||$20|
|35 year old female||$33||$60||$20|
|45 year old male||$32||$53||$20|
|45 year old female||$32||$60||$20|
|56 year old male||$29||$53||$18|
|56 year old female||$29||$55||$18|
How to apply for Allstate car insurance
Allstate’s initial application process takes a few minutes to complete online. Then expect a call from an Allstate representative to walk you through any policy specifics.
- Go to Allstate’s website, or call an agent. To start the process, visit their site or call an agent at 877-810-2920.
- Enter your personal information. Provide information like your name, date of birth and where you live.
- Enter your vehicle info. Provide necessary information about your vehicle, such as its make, model and year of manufacture.
What info do I need to apply?
When you begin your application, have the following documentation available:
- Basic contact information for drivers on the policy
- Basic information about the cars needing insurance, including the make, model and year
- Special features or aftermarket equipment specific to your vehicle, like antitheft devices
Also, Allstate may access your driving records, insurance claim history, past auto policies and credit history to design an auto insurance quote.
How to find Allstate insurance agents near me
Allstate serves its customers with over 10,000 local agents. To find one close to you, you can use the agent locator:
Allstate agent locator
- On the Allstate website, go to Find an agent from the main navigation.
- Enter your ZIP code and view agents by map or list.
- Using the contact information listed, call, email or visit your preferred agent.
What discounts can I get with Allstate?
Save more by taking advantage of a number of Allstate discounts:
- Autopay. Save up to 5% when you set up automatic withdrawal for paying your premium.
- Early signing. Save up to 10% when you sign your policy seven days before it becomes effective.
- Loyalty. Save up to 7% for sticking with Allstate for several years.
- Multipolicy. Bundle your car insurance with a homeowner’s policy for more savings.
- New car. Save up to 15% if your car is this or last year’s model and you’re its first owner.
- Paid in full. Save up to 10% when you pay your policy in full.
- Paperless. Save up to 10% if you sign up for online statements, documents and policy information.
- Responsible payer. Save up to 5% if you pay all your insurance premiums on time.
- Safe Driving Club. You can save if your driving history meets the Safe Driving Club requirements, like having no accidents within a set time period.
- Safety features. Save up to 10% if your car has antilock brakes or an antitheft device.
- Smart student. If your young driver makes the grade requirements, you might qualify for a discount.
What car insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
Compare policies with simple liability coverage or expand your policy to include extras like rental reimbursements or roadside assistance.
- Liability insurance
- Medical payments
- Personal injury
- Property damage
- Rental car reimbursement
- Rideshare insurance
- Roadside assistance
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists
What extra benefits and add-ons does Allstate offer?
Keep an eye out for these extras to determine if they could benefit you and your policy:
- Accident forgiveness. If you add this program to your policy, Allstate will waive rate surcharges for the first accident that happens after staying claim-free for a set amount of time.
- Safe driver rewards program. The Allstate Rewards program lets you earn points for a good driving record that you can trade for gift cards and merchandise.
How does Allstate bundling work?
Allstate lets you bundle home and auto insurance with up to 10% off your car and 25% off your home insurance. But compared to other companies, it doesn’t offer as many discounts for bundling other policies. Policies that Allstate offers:
- ATVs and snowmobiles
- Identity theft
Allstate car insurance reviews and complaints
Allstate is rated slightly above average for customer satisfaction. Allstate has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of October 2020.
Online reviews show that customers are pleased with the number of coverage options available, helping new customers choose a policy based on cost or coverage levels. However, Allstate has seen over 1,350 complaints filed with the BBB since 2017, citing delayed claims, improper billing and canceled policies on renewal.
It’s common for large insurance companies to see this number of complaints. Keep in mind that many customers only review a company when they’ve had a negative experience.
Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Zebra also call out Allstate’s good customer reviews and coverage options.
Allstate user reviews
Pros and cons of Allstate car insurance
- Comprehensive quote tools. Allstate offers a wide range of tools to help potential customers design a personalized plan.
- Plenty of discounts. Save on your quote with discounts for car safety features, safe drivers and more.
- Dedicated agents. Allstate drivers are assigned an Allstate agent, who can help you find ways to save on your policy, improve your coverage, file an insurance claim and more.
- Coverage costs above average. Allstate does offer an extensive discounts list, but you can expect to pay slightly more than you would with other comparable providers in some areas.
- Rated average for customer service. While you’ll enjoy personalized service from your Allstate agent, the overall experience with Allstate is ranked average compared to other insurers.
- Lacking several standard discounts. If you’re used to getting a discount for serving in the military or insuring multiple cars, you might miss those benefits when you switch to Allstate.
Compare Allstate to competitors
See how Allstate’s discounts, perks and coverage fare compared to other car insurance companies. Tap the Compare box to look at up to four companies side by side.
More alternatives to Allstate
Frequently asked questions about Allstate car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.