Allstate car insurance review Jul 2020
Comprehensive protection with personalized support.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want good rates for better protection.
- Pick something else if you want a no-frills basic policy.
- Ideal for safe drivers with clean driving records.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Rewards for safe drivers, good students and more
- Get your own dedicated insurance agent
- No discounts for homeowners, military, online quote or multiple cars
- Customer service is ranked average
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Bundling discount||Up to 10%|
|Defensive driving discount||Up to 10%|
|Good student discount||Up to 20%, under 25|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Usage-based discount||Yes - up to 20% cash back|
|Other discounts||Economy car – Up to 10%|
Aliyyah Camp is a writer and personal finance blogger who helps readers compare personal, student, car and business loans. Aliyyah earned a BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania and is based in New York, where she enjoys movies and running outdoors.
With a broad range of coverage options, ways to save and features built for customer convenience, Allstate has earned its place among the top insurance providers. You’ll find some of the best perks in the industry, especially for luxury cars.
But on the downside, its high rates and middle ground customer service could leave you disappointed. Overall, this insurer works best if you take advantage of its many discounts and redeemable rewards through the safe driver program. Otherwise you’ll probably find cheaper rates from a different insurer.
Allstate monthly car insurance rates
Compare sample Allstate quotes for different driver profiles. Your insurance rates will vary based on your driver profile.
|18 year old male||$118||$157||$67|
|18 year old female||$108||$152||$53|
|25 year old male||$47||$69||$39|
|25 year old female||$46||$69||$21|
|35 year old male||$33||$53||$20|
|35 year old female||$33||$60||$20|
|45 year old male||$32||$53||$20|
|45 year old female||$32||$60||$20|
|56 year old male||$29||$53||$18|
|56 year old female||$29||$55||$18|
What car insurance coverage does Allstate offer?
Compare policies with simple liability coverage or expand your policy to include uninsured drivers, rental reimbursements, a custom sound system or even towing and roadside assistance.
- Liability insurance
- Personal injury
- Property damage
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists
- Rental car reimbursement
- Medical payments
- Roadside assistance
- Rideshare insurance
What extra benefits and add-ons does Allstate offer?
Keep an eye out for these extras to determine if they could benefit you and your policy:
- Reward system for safe drivers. The Allstate Rewards program lets drivers who have a good driving record earn points that can be traded for rewards like gift cards and merchandise.
- Repair shop locator. As an Allstate-covered driver, if you need mechanical repairs to be performed on your car or have been in an accident and need collision services, you can benefit from the repair networks available either on the Allstate website or within the mobile app, easily viewing the providers that are recommended by Allstate in your local area.
- Direct deposit. Get your claim payment sent directly to your debit account. Link your Allstate account with your Visa or MasterCard debit card. Instead of waiting for a claim check in the mail, you’ll get paid quickly and more securely.
What discounts can I get with Allstate?
Save more by taking advantage of a number of Allstate discounts:
- New car discount. Save if your vehicle is new and you’re the first owner.
- Multipolicy discount. Bundle your car insurance with a homeowner’s policy for more savings.
- Smart student discount. If your young driver meets the grade requirements, you might qualify for a discount.
- Antilock brake discount. Save up to 10% if your car is equipped with antilock brakes.
- Antitheft discount. Save up to 10% if there’s an antitheft device in your car.
- Autopay discount. Save up to 5% when you set up automatic withdrawal for paying your premium.
- Paperless discount. Save up to 10% if you sign up for online statements, documents and policy information.
- Paid in full discount. Save up to 10% when you pay your policy in full.
- Early signing discount. Save up to 10% when you sign your policy seven days before it becomes effective.
- Responsible payer discount. Save up to 5% if you didn’t receive a cancellation notice for non-payment in the past year.
- Safe Driving Club. You may be able to save if your driving history meets the Safe Driving Club requirements.
- New car discount. Save up to 15% if your car is this or last year’s model and you’re its first owner.
- Loyalty discount. Save up to 7% for sticking with Allstate for several years.
How does Allstate bundling work?
Allstate offers the standard option for bundling home and auto insurance with steep discounts on both policies. You can expect 10% off your car and 25% off your home insurance for bundling. But compared to other companies, it doesn’t offer as many discounts for bundling additional policies. You can buy these policies together for a discount:
Allstate also offers insurance policies for:
- ATVs and snowmobiles
- Commercial auto
Pros and cons of Allstate car insurance
- Comprehensive quote tools. Allstate offers a wide range of tools to help potential customers design a personalized plan.
- Plenty of discounts. Save on your quote with discounts for car safety features, safe drivers and more.
- Dedicated agents. Allstate drivers are assigned an Allstate agent, who can help you find ways to save on your policy, improve your coverage, file an insurance claim and more.
- Coverage costs tend to be above average. Allstate does offer an extensive discounts list, but you can expect to pay slightly more than you would with other comparable providers in some areas.
- Rated average for customer service. While you’ll enjoy personalized service from your Allstate agent, the overall experience with Allstate is ranked average compared to other insurers.
- Lacking several standard discounts. If you’re used to getting a discount for being a homeowner, being in the military or insuring multiple cars, you might miss those benefits when you switch to Allstate.
How to apply for Allstate car insurance
Allstate’s initial application process is fairly simple and takes just a few minutes to complete online. Then you can expect to receive a call from a qualified Allstate representative.
- Go to Allstate’s website, or call an agent. You can get quotes, apply for coverage and even commit to a policy through Allstate’s website or over the phone with an agent. To start the process, visit their site or call an agent at 877-810-2920.
- Enter your personal information. You’ll be prompted to provide information like your name, date of birth and where you live.
- Enter your vehicle info. Just like you gave your personal information, provide necessary information about your vehicle such as its make, model and year of manufacture.
What info do I need to apply?
When you begin your insurance application, you should have the following documentation readily available:
- Basic contact information for any drivers on the policy
- Basic information about the vehicles being covered, including VIN, the car make, model and year
- Any special features or aftermarket equipment that’s specific to your vehicle, including antitheft devices
Additionally, Allstate may access your driving records, insurance claim history, past auto policies and credit history to design a quote for your auto insurance.
Allstate reviews and complaints
Allstate is rated slightly above average for customer satisfaction. Allstate has an A+ rating from the BBB and 3 our of 5 stars from JD Power.
Online reviews indicate that customers are most pleased with the number of options available, which might allow a new customer to choose a policy based on cost, on levels of coverage or on a need for flexibility.
Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Zebra also call out Allstate’s good customer reviews and coverage options.
How do I find an Allstate agent near me?
Allstate serves its customers with over 10,000 agents. To find one close to you, you can:
- On the Allstate website, go to Find an agent from the main navigation.
- Enter your ZIP code and view agents by map or list.
- Using the contact information listed, call or visit your preferred agent.
How to contact Allstate
Allstate’s customer service team can be reached at 877-810-2920. The Allstate mobile app also gives you a list of department phone numbers, plus tools to locate an agent, get a quote or request roadside assistance.
You can also contact Allstate through email, or on Twitter @AllstateCares.
Compare Allstate to competitors
Frequently asked questions about Allstate car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.