Liberty Mutual car insurance review 2023
Get solid car insurance protection and access unique perks, but you have limited access to agents.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want a variety of coverage options and convenient online experience.
- Pick something else if you want highly rated customer service.
Bottom line: Comparing coverage and managing your policy online couldn’t be easier. But its agent support is limited, and it doesn’t see high customer ratings.
Speak to an agent: 877-336-0538
|States served||All 50 states & DC|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Long list of discounts
- Convenient website and mobile app
- Unique features, like a deductible fund or teacher perks
- Access to agent support is limited
- Lower than average customer satisfaction rating
- Higher than average number of customer complaints
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Newly married discount|
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
What we think of Liberty Mutual car insurance
Liberty Mutual offers a wide selection of coverage options and a convenient online platform. Also, you could benefit from additional programs and features that other companies don’t offer, like teacher perks or a deductible fund.
But, in exchange for the extra perks, you may find a less than stellar customer experience with limited customer support. So if you’re looking for a more personal experience or the most affordable option, you may want to look elsewhere.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
|Category||Our rating||Why we gave this score|
|Coverage||★★★★★ 5/5||Liberty Mutual goes beyond coverage from competitors, offering options for accident forgiveness, rideshare insurance, and more.|
|Discounts||★★★★★ 4/5||It offers a variety of discounts to help you save on premiums, such as for bundling or tracking your driving through RightTrack. It’s also one of the only companies to reward you for owning an electric or hybrid vehicle.|
|Customer service||★★★★★ 3.4/5||The company gets high J.D. Power and Better Business Bureau scores. However, it sees low customer ratings on Trustpilot and an average number of complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).|
|Financial strength||★★★★★ 4.25/5||It receives an A financial rating from AM Best, showing that it has strong finances to pay for car insurance claims.|
Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes
We pulled full-coverage car insurance rates using Liberty Mutual’s online quote tool for good drivers living in California with a clean driving record.
How to get a free quote for Liberty Mutual car insurance
Apply for auto insurance by phone by calling 866-681-9325, or in-person by finding an agent using Liberty mutual’ s agent locator tool on its website. In many cases, you can get covered online within minutes by following these steps:
- Go to Liberty Mutual’s website and navigate to Products and Get a quote.
- Choose auto insurance, then input your ZIP code and choose Get my price.
- Add personal information for you and other drivers.
- Add your vehicle information.
- Review your details and your quote. If you’re satisfied, continue to buy your policy.
What do I need to apply?
Having some information on hand can speed up your application process, including:
- Name and date of birth
- Social Security number
- Vehicle details, including estimated annual mileage
- Previous insurance company
- Claim and credit history
- Education and employment status
What discounts can I get with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual offers a standard list of discounts on its auto insurance policies.
- Anti-theft. If your car has antitheft technology installed you’ll be eligible for a discount.
- Automatic payments. Get a discount for setting up auto draft car insurance payments.
- Early shopper. Get a discount for getting a quote with Liberty Mutual before your current policy expires.
- Good driver. Any driver with a clean record can get discounted rates as a reward.
- Good student. Access discounted rates if you or your student has a GPA of B or better.
- Homeowner. Get a discount on your car insurance just by owning your home.
- Hybrid or electric car. Get discounted for driving an environmentally friendly hybrid or electric vehicle.
- Military. If you’re an active, retired or reserved military member, you’ll receive a discount.
- Multi-policy. Get discounted rates when you have multiple types of insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- Multi-vehicle. Get a discount for adding multiple cars to your Liberty Mutual auto insurance.
- New vehicle. Lower your premium when you add a new vehicle to your policy.
- Online purchase. Score this easy discount by buying your car insurance online.
- Paperless. Get a discount by opting to get your documents emailed instead of mailed.
- Paid in full. Pay less by paying your premium in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safety features. Discount rates for a car with safety features like antilock brakes and airbags.
- Student away at school. Receive a discount if you have a kid away at school.
- Teen driver. Discounted rates reward teens for responsible driving with no claims.
- Telematics. Save up to 30% through Liberty Mutual’s RightTrack program. Once you sign up, the program tracks habits like your braking, mileage and the number of night trips.
What extra perks does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers a few free features to supplement its auto insurance coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. If you’re accident- and violation-free for five years, your first accident won’t raise your rates.
- Teacher perks. Enjoy teacher perks like no deductible if your car gets vandalized or damaged in a collision at school.
Our review of Liberty Mutual RightTrack
Liberty Mutual RightTrack is a telematics car insurance program, which monitors your driving and gives you a discount personalized to how you drive.
Overall, customers enjoy the app, giving it 4 out of 5 stars on Google Play and 4.4 out of 5 stars on the Apple Store. To get your discount, you’ll need to complete RightTrack’s 90-day review period. Then, you can earn up to 30% off your premium, an amount you’ll see with most other telematics programs.
However, what stands out is that RightTrack isn’t an ongoing program. Instead, the discount applies for as long as you have Liberty Mutual car insurance. Ask to re-enroll in the program if you’d like your discount updated.
As is the case with other programs, Liberty Mutual doesn’t use your driving data just for setting premiums. The company may use it for investigating claims, developing new services for customers or for research.
Review RightTrack’s terms and conditions to make sure you agree with how it’s using your information.
How RightTrack scores your driving
To get a high score with RightTrack, you can focus on four key areas:
- Acceleration — How quickly you step on the gas
- Braking — Limiting rough slowdowns and hard stops
- Mileage — How many total miles you drive
- Nighttime driving — Avoiding trips during this high-risk time
Liberty Mutual car insurance reviews and complaints
Liberty Mutual holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and is accredited since 1931. However, it has a long list of customer complaints, involving a lack of communication, denied claims and billing issues.
Liberty Mutual also receives a 1.11 on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for private passenger vehicles. Since the industry standard is 1.00, Liberty Mutual’s score shows that it sees many more complaints than normal.
Continuing the trend, the company typically scores below average for each region in the J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study. The one exception to its poor customer satisfaction is in Florida, where Liberty Mutual scored an above-average 837 out of 1,000 points in the J.D. Power study.
Keep in mind that most customers leave reviews when the service is either extraordinary or terrible. Thousands of customers may be satisfied with the service but haven’t bothered to leave a review.
Our star ratings for Liberty Mutual, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Liberty Mutual slightly above average because of its well-rounded coverage options and discounts available as well as its solid BBB score and strong AM Best financial rating. However, the company’s poor customer service brings down its overall Finder rating.
|AM Best financial rating||A|
|Trustpilot score||1.4/5 out of 482 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||28 June 2021|
Compare Liberty Mutual to competitors
See how Liberty Mutual fares alongside other policies in terms of benefits, cost and coverage. Then tap Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of coverage options to give you ample protection.
- Better car replacement. Get a car that’s one model year newer with 15,000 fewer miles if your car is totaled.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers medical and legal costs for someone else when you cause an accident.
- Collision. This optional coverage pays for repairs after hitting another car or object.
- Comprehensive. Covers the cost of repairs from fire, theft or other non-collision damage.
- Deductible fund. This optional coverage saves $100 every year you’re claim-free, then applies the savings to your deductible after an accident.
- Medical payments. No matter who’s at fault, medical coverage for you and your passengers is covered. Also applies when you’re a pedestrian.
- New car replacement. Liberty Mutual will pay for a new car if yours is totaled at less than a year old and under 15,000 miles.
- Property damage liability. Covers repairing and replacing property that you damaged, like another car or fencing that you hit during an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement. This will cover the cost of a rental car while your car is in an approved shop for repairs from an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Towing, jump starts, emergency fuel, changing flats and unlocking vehicles are available 24 hours a day.
How to find Liberty Mutal insurance near me
The company has a limited number of agents in different states. You can see if an agent works near you through Liberty Mutual’s agent locator:
- From Liberty Mutual’s main website, enter your ZIP code in the Find a local agent box. Hit Go.
- Choose your preferred office from the list.
- Visit in person or call the number listed.
How does Liberty Mutual bundling work?
Bundle a host of insurance products with Liberty Mutual. However, the company only specifies a discount for bundling home or renters with auto insurance. The company claims to save you up to $840 across your car and home insurance policies.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.