Liberty Mutual car insurance review Apr 2020
Balance better protection with a good deal on car insurance.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want premium coverage and a convenient online experience.
- Pick something else if you want personalized support.
- Safe drivers will find the best rates.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Roadside assistance
- Accident forgiveness
- Collision coverage
- Better car replacement
- Coverage for every location
- Coverage minimums vary by state
- Some access to agents
- Not always the best prices
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Newly married discount|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Liberty Mutual offers a wide selection of coverage options backed by solid customer service and a convenient online platform. Also, you could benefit from additional programs and features that other companies don’t offer.
However, if you’re looking for a more personal experience or the most affordable option, you may want to look elsewhere.
Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes
Compare sample annual quotes for Liberty Mutual car insurance.
|18 year old male||$1,652||$15,260||$1,633|
|18 year old female||$1,601||$10,072||$1,564|
|25 year old male||$1,148||$7,741||$1,121|
|25 year old female||$1,098||$6,498||$1,072|
|35 year old male||$569||$3,793||$556|
|35 year old female||$569||$3,793||$556|
|45 year old male||$520||$3,793||$509|
|45 year old female||$619||$3,793||$509|
|56 year old male||$606||$3,426||$499|
|56 year old female||$606||$3,426||$499|
What car insurance coverage does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of coverage options to get you the protection you need.
- Bodily injury liability coverage. Medical expenses, legal fees, loss of income, pain and suffering and funeral costs are covered for the other party when you are found legally responsible for an auto accident. Legal defense costs are also covered if you are sued by the injured party for damages.
- Property damage coverage. Covers the cost of repairing and replacing property that you’ve damaged with your vehicle. This can be anything from a tricycle in a driveway to another vehicle.
- Medical payments coverage. Whether or not you are at fault, initial medical coverage for you and your passengers will be covered. This also includes any injuries cohabitating family members sustain in another person’s vehicle or as pedestrians.
- Collision coverage. Any repairs needed as a result of an accident that involves a collision with another vehicle or an object, such as a pylon or a fence, will be covered under this optional feature.
- Comprehensive coverage. Covers the cost of any repairs needed due to fire, theft, or other non-collision damages.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers a suite of additional programs and features to supplement its already impressive auto insurance coverage:
- Roadside assistance. Towing, jump starts, emergency fuel, changing flats and unlocking vehicles are available 24-hours a day.
- Accident forgiveness. If you are accident-free and violation-free for 5 years your first auto accident will not raise your rates.
- Rental car reimbursement. This will cover the cost of a rental car while your car is in an approved shop for repairs from an accident.
- New car replacement. This option covers you in the event that your car is completely totaled. Liberty Mutual will pay for a new vehicle if your totaled vehicle is under a year old and has less than 15,000 miles on it.
- Better car replacement. You can get a better car that’s one model year newer with 15,000 fewer miles if your car is totaled.
- Deductible fund. Similar to a no-claims bonus, this add-on lets you keep a pool of money available to put towards your deductible in the event of an accident. Every year that you qualify, Liberty Mutual will add $100 to the fund.
- Mobile apps. Liberty Mutual offers mobile apps for both iPhone and Android. Use the app to manage your account, file claims and more.
- Teacher perks. Educators enjoy a few extra features, including $0 deductible if your vehicle is vandalized or damaged in a collision when on school property or attending school events.
What discounts can I get with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual offers a standard list of discounts on its auto insurance policies.
- Multi-policy discount. Get discounted rates when you have multiple types of insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- New vehicle discount. Receive a discount when you add or change a vehicle on your policy.
- Paid in full discount. Receive a discount for paying your premiums in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safety features discount. Get discounted rates when insuring vehicles with safety features such as anti-lock brakes and airbags.
- Multi-vehicle discount. Receive a discount when you add multiple vehicles to your auto insurance policy with Liberty Mutual.
- Teen driver discount. Discounted rates reward teen drivers for responsible driving
- Good driver discount. Drivers with clean driving records can receive discounted rates.
Pros and cons of Liberty Mutual car insurance
- Helpful website. The website is convenient, informative and easy to navigate. Visitors have easy access to policy details, educational resources and account management.
- Convenient application and claims. Liberty Mutual’s online quote/application process and claims center make it convenient for those who don’t have a local agent nearby.
- Wide coverage options. This provider is home to a wide range of coverage options backed by a lengthy list of additional programs. Its policies offer great coverage and a handful of features that you may not find with other providers.
- Impersonal support. This provider does have a network of sales agents throughout the country, but many of its policies are sold online and by phone. While many other providers strive to provide a personal experience through independent agents, this provider’s services are a bit more digitally focused.
- Higher rates. Though its prices are competitive, its policies are not always the cheapest option. Depending on your choice of policy, you may be better off with another provider.
Compare Liberty Mutual to competitors
How to apply for Liberty Mutual car insurance
Applying for auto insurance can be done online, by phone or in person. In many cases, you can even get covered within minutes. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to Liberty Mutual’s website and navigate to Products and Get a quote.
- Choose auto insurance, then input your zip code and click Get my price.
- Add your personal information and info for any other drivers.
- Add your vehicle information.
- Review your details and your quote. If you’re satisfied, proceed to purchase your policy.
Phone. If you’d rather get a quote and apply for coverage by phone, you can start by calling 866-681-9325.
Agent. If you prefer to speak with an agent face to face, you can use the agent locator tool on Liberty Mutual’s website to find your nearest agent.
What do I need to apply?
Regardless of how you choose to apply, having the following information on hand can speed up your application process.
- Name and date of birth
- Social Security number
- Residential address
- Vehicle information, including estimated annual mileage
- Prior insurance
- Claim and credit history
- Education history and employment status
Liberty Mutual reviews and complaints
On the BBB website, Liberty Mutual holds an A- rating and is officially accredited since 1931. But it also has a long list of customer complaints. Most issues with this provider involve a lack of communication, denied claims and billing issues.
Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Zebra agree that Liberty Mutual’s customer support is lacking and rates aren’t often the cheapest, despite its wide coverage and discount options.
However, keep in mind that most customers only leave reviews when service is either extraordinary or terrible. This means that there are likely thousands of customers who are satisfied with the service but never bothered to leave a review about it.
How to contact Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual makes it easy to get in touch with a number of options. You can connect via email, phone, social media, mail and more.
- Customer service: 800-290-7841
- Claims: 844-339-5303
- Sales: 844-669-3663
- Twitter: @AskLiberty
- Facebook Messenger: Liberty Mutual Insurance
★★★★★ — Excellent ★★★★★ — Good ★★★★★ — Average ★★★★★ — Subpar ★★★★★ — Poor We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.
Common questions about Liberty Mutual car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.