Liberty Mutual car insurance review Jan 2021
Balance better protection with a good deal on car insurance.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want premium coverage and a convenient online experience.
- Pick something else if you want personalized support.
Bottom line: Comparing affordable coverage and managing your policy online couldn’t be easier, but agent support is limited.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- Roadside assistance
- Accident forgiveness
- Collision coverage
- Better car replacement
- Coverage for every location
- Coverage minimums vary by state
- Some access to agents
- Not always the best prices
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||Newly married discount|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Liberty Mutual offers a wide selection of coverage options backed by solid customer service and a convenient online platform. Also, you could benefit from additional programs and features that other companies don’t offer.
However, if you’re looking for a more personal experience or the most affordable option, you may want to look elsewhere.
Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes
Libery Mutual tends to have more expensive rates than competitors, coming in around 50% more than the national average in states like California. Compare sample annual quotes for Liberty Mutual car insurance.
|18 year old man||$138||$1,272||$136|
|18 year old woman||$133||$839||$130|
|25 year old man||$96||$645||$93|
|25 year old woman||$92||$542||$89|
|35 year old man||$47||$316||$46|
|35 year old woman||$47||$316||$46|
|45 year old man||$43||$316||$42|
|45 year old woman||$52||$316||$42|
|56 year old man||$51||$286||$42|
|56 year old woman||$51||$286||$42|
How to apply for Liberty Mutual car insurance
You can apply for auto insurance online, by phone or in person with Liberty Mutual. In many cases, you can get covered within minutes. Get started with these steps:
- Go to Liberty Mutual’s website and navigate to Products and Get a quote.
- Choose auto insurance, then input your zip code and click Get my price.
- Add your personal information and info for any other drivers.
- Add your vehicle information.
- Review your details and your quote. If you’re satisfied, proceed to purchase your policy.
Phone. If you’d rather get a quote and apply by phone, you can start by calling 866-681-9325.
Agent. If you prefer to speak face to face, use the agent locator tool on Liberty Mutual’s website to find your nearest agent.
What do I need to apply?
Having some information on hand can speed up your application process, including:
- Name and date of birth
- Social Security number
- Vehicle information, including estimated annual mileage
- Previous insurance company
- Claim and credit history
- Education and employment status
How to find Liberty Mutal insurance near me
The company has a limited number of agents in different states. You can see if an agent works near you through Liberty Mutual’s agent locator:
- From Liberty Mutual’s main website, enter your ZIP code in the Find a local agent box. Click Go.
- Choose your preferred office from the list.
- Go to the address for an in-person visit or call the number listed.
What discounts can I get with Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual offers a standard list of discounts on its auto insurance policies.
- Good driver. Any driver with a clean record can get discounted rates as a reward.
- Multi-policy. Get discounted rates when you have multiple types of insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- Multi-vehicle. Receive a discount when you add multiple vehicles to your Liberty Mutual auto insurance policy.
- New vehicle. Lower your premium when you add a new vehicle to your policy.
- Paid in full. Pay less when pay your premium in a single, lump-sum payment.
- Safety features. Get discounted rates when insuring a car with safety features like antilock brakes and airbags.
- Teen driver. Discounted rates reward teen drivers for responsible driving with no claims.
- Telematics. Save up to 30% through Liberty Mutual’s RightTrack program. Once you sign up, the program tracks habits like your braking, mileage and the number of night trips.
What car insurance coverage does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers a wide range of coverage options to give you ample protection.
- Better car replacement. You can get a better car that’s one model year newer with 15,000 fewer miles if your car is totaled.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers medical expenses, legal fees and pain and suffering for someone else when you’re responsible for an accident.
- Collision. Pays for repairs caused by a collision with another car or an object is protected under this optional coverage.
- Comprehensive. Covers the cost of repairs needed due to fire, theft or other non-collision damage.
- Deductible fund. This optional coverage saves $100 every claim-free year to a fund, then applies the savings to title your deductible after an accident.
- Medical payments. No matter who’s at fault, initial medical coverage for you and your passengers are covered. This also applies if you’re injured as a pedestrian.
- New car replacement. This option covers you in the event that your car is completely totaled. Liberty Mutual will pay for a new vehicle if your totaled vehicle is under a year old and has less than 15,000 miles on it.
- Property damage liability. Covers repairing and replacing property that you damaged, like another car or fencing that you hit during an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement. This will cover the cost of a rental car while your car is in an approved shop for repairs from an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Towing, jump starts, emergency fuel, changing flats and unlocking vehicles are available 24 hours a day.
What extra perks does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers a few free features to supplement its auto insurance coverage:
- Accident forgiveness. If you’re accident- and violation-free for five years, your first accident won’t raise your rates.
- Teacher perks. If you’re a teacher, enjoy extra features like a $0 deductible if your vehicle gets vandalized or damaged in a collision at school.
How does Liberty Mutual bundling work?
You can bundle a host of insurance products with Liberty Mutual. However, the company only specifies a discount for bundling home or renters with auto insurance. As an example of the potential for steep savings, the company claims to save you up to $840 total on your car and home insurance policies.
Liberty Mutual car insurance reviews and complaints
On the BBB website, Liberty Mutual holds an A+ rating and is officially accredited since 1931, as of October 2020. But it also has a long list of customer complaints. Most issues with this provider involve a lack of communication, denied claims and billing issues.
Other comparison sites like NerdWallet and The Zebra agree that Liberty Mutual’s customer support is lacking and rates aren’t often the cheapest, despite its wide coverage and discount options.
However, keep in mind that most customers only leave reviews when service is either extraordinary or terrible. This means that there are likely thousands of customers who are satisfied with the service but never bothered to leave a review about it.
Compare Liberty Mutual to competitors
See how Liberty Mutual fares alongside other policies in terms of benefits, cost and coverage. Check the Compare box to see up to four companies side by side.
Common questions about Liberty Mutual car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.