Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Car Insurance Finder
Get your customized policy quotes to save up to $500 a year.
Updated . What changed?
Get the cheapest quotes
Compare car insurance near you.
Compare free car insurance quotes online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
The first step to savings is getting multiple quotes. Get started by selecting Compare to review coverage and features from each company side by side.
Compare up to 4 providers
Finder’s car insurance team spends thousands of hours researching policies and analyzing hundreds of thousands of quotes (for real!) from nearly every car insurance company across the US.
people trust Finder to compare car insurance
drivers saved money on car insurance with Finder
in savings on average by switching
to get your custom quote
What's in this guide?
- Compare free car insurance quotes online
- How much does car insurance cost?
- Car insurance quotes
- How do I compare car insurance?
- How to find car insurance near you
- Top 10 tips for saving on car insurance
- What car insurance coverage do I need?
- Ask an expert: What car insurance mistakes should I avoid?
- What factors affect my car insurance quote?
- Your car insurance questions answered
Some of the top companies we compare
How much does car insurance cost?
The average cost of car insurance is $1,300 a year or $108 a month, but rates vary depending on your car, driving record, demographics and other factors.
The biggest factors that affect your rate include:
- Your car. Your car’s make, year and model are the biggest factors in your insurance rates. Its current value and whether you own it also affects your coverage costs and how much coverage you need.
- Your location. Where you live and drive is the second biggest factor for rates. Each state sets minimum insurance requirements. Even rates in different ZIP codes in the same city can vary by hundreds of dollars. Living in a high-claims area, like a big city or an area with a high rate of uninsured drivers, can also drive your rates up.
- You. Your demographics affect your rates more than you might think. In most states, rates are based on your age, gender, marital status, credit score and other factors that have nothing to do with your driving. Insurance companies use these factors to predict your risk level and set your rates.
Car insurance quotes
If lowering your car insurance premium is your main priority, switching car insurance could be one of the best ways to save. Compare how much price differs between insurers with sample auto insurance rates for California drivers.
|Company||Average annual rate||Average monthly rate|
How do I read my quote?
A car insurance quote estimates the monthly rate you might pay with a particular insurer. Your quote may total costs by the month, the year or for every six months. Payment frequency should be listed near the estimated premium.
You might also see your coverage limits written as 50/100/25. These numbers represent the dollar amount of coverage you have for physical damage and bodily injury liability:
- 50 = $50,000 for bodily injury liability per person involved in the accident
- 100 = $100,000 for bodily injuries total per accident
- 25 = $25,000 for physical damage liability per accident
How do I compare car insurance?
Ever wonder why insurance policies and quotes are different for every insurer? Make sure you’re comparing equivalent rates to get the strongest insurance quotes.
- Balance the best coverage with the cheapest rates. The goal is to get the right coverage for you with the best deal. But consider every factor that might be important, such as discounts you qualify for, how easy it will be to make claims or whether you’ll pay extra for perks you need.
- Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. Check for the same perks and coverage, and make sure the deductible and pay schedule are the same. If you’re not getting good rates from the big national companies, look for a company that specializes in the coverage you need.
- Get multiple quotes. It’s helpful to consider at least two to three of the cheapest quotes with the same level of coverage you need. And while it’s good to consider discounts in your initial search, make sure you’re also considering the final price too.
- Check for exclusions. Read the fine print on your car insurance quote before you sign on the dotted line. Make sure you’re covered for everything you expect, and avoid claim caveats like cancellation fees.
How to find car insurance near you
Car insurance rates across the US can vary a lot based on where your address. The national average is $1,300 a year, but drivers in Maine pay only about $864, while drivers in Michigan see premiums averaging $2,394.
To pick the right amount of coverage, start with your state’s minimum requirements for liability coverage, underinsured driver coverage and personal injury protection. Then decide if you should increase your maximums or add any extra coverage you’d like, such as roadside assistance, collision coverage or comprehensive coverage.
Explore in-depth car insurance guides
No one wants to overpay for insurance. And it’s hard to compare policies to get enough coverage at the right price. The best way to save on car insurance is by shopping around.
Watch our short video offering tips to saving you money on car insurance
- Start with multiple customized quotes.
- Hunt for discounts, like defensive driving.
- Get the right coverage for your car.
- Raise your deductible if you can afford it.
- Improve your credit score.
- Try pay-per-mile insurance if you’re a safe driver.
- Consider customer satisfaction as well as price.
- Choose a safe, low-risk car to get lower rates.
- Think twice about small claims to avoid high rates.
- Shop around every year or after life-changing events.
What car insurance coverage do I need?
In most states, each driver needs to have at least liability coverage, and sometimes personal injury protection and uninsured driver coverage. The types and limits you need are different for every state. When shopping for car insurance, you might see these limits written like 25/50, which means $25,000 bodily injury liability and $50,000 property damage liability.
Bodily injury liability
Covers costs from injuries you cause another person in an accident.
Property damage liability
Covers damage you cause to someone else’s property in an accident.
Personal injury insurance
Covers medical services after an accident, regardless of fault.
Covers costs caused by a driver if their insurance can’t pay enough.
What factors affect my car insurance quote?
Your insurance quote comparisons can look quite different across several companies. That’s because insurers use info about you to determine your driving risk and set your quotes, based on factors like whether you park on the street or in a safe neighborhood and how many miles you drive each year.
The 10 biggest factors that affect your rates:
Read more on this topic
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Heacock Classic car insurance review October 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Oct 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Is online driver’s ed worth it?
Pick the right online driver’s ed program and learn how long it takes to complete one.
Compare Auto Insurance
Get cheap car insurance rates.
Car insurance engine
Get cheap car insurance quotes for you.
Ask an Expert