Want to save more on your car insurance? Compare discounts you could qualify for.
Always stay diligent about saving on your car insurance. There are lots of discounts out there, and some companies aren’t always forthcoming about ways to save money. If you want to get car insurance discounts instead of just hearing about them, this guide can show you how.
Best car insurance discounts
How much will discounts affect my rates?
Paying less doesn’t necessarily mean getting less. You don’t always have to sacrifice the amount of your coverage to save money on your car insurance. You just need to know what to look for and decide what works best for you.
Insurance companies determine your premium based on behaviors of certain groups. People who drive more and into busy areas, younger drivers and people who drive high-performance cars are more likely to file claims. On the other hand, more experienced drivers, people who drive cars with safety and security features and people who drive less tend to pay less. Insurance companies take all of this into consideration when determining premiums.
Car insurance can get expensive, so look for ways that you can save.
Cheapest insurance for every driver
Find the best insurance for you with guides on finding discounts and savings for anyone.
Compare car insurance providers
What discounts should I look for?
Insurance companies don’t always advertise their discounts to established customers. If you’ve been with a company, it’s worth asking about what they offer. Discounts vary by state and insurance company. Compare possible discounts you could qualify for and how much you could save.
|Discount||Average savings||How you could qualify for this discount|
|Low mileage, pay as you go||20-50%||Your car is garaged, you don’t drive much or you drive during low traffic times|
|Defensive driver, driver improvement||10% up to 20%||Pass a driver safety or skills course|
|Security, anti-theft||5%, up to 25%||Your car has a device that makes it harder to steal like tracking or an immobilizer|
|Safety device||5-10% up to 33%||Drive a car with anti-lock brakes, airbags, etc.|
|Electric, hybrid||5-10%||Choose an electric, hybrid or low emission car|
|No claims, claim free, safe driver||$50-500 or 15%||Don’t make a claim for a certain period for discounts, cash back, credit or lower deductible|
|Paid in full, autopay||5-10%||Pay up front or sign up for autopay|
|Good student||10% up to 35%||Maintain a 3.0 GPA|
|Military, veteran||5-10%||Serve, have served or an affiliation with the military|
|Low income, low cost||50-75% or more||For low income drivers in states that require insurance|
|Bundle, loyalty||5-10%||Combine multiple cars or insurance policies with the same provider|
|Homeowner||10-25%||Own or rent a house instead of an apartment|
|Occupation||5-15%||Employed in education, healthcare, government or nonprofit|
|Online quote, sign up bonus||5%||Get a quote, switch or sign up and get a discount on your first term|
What to watch out for with car insurance discounts
Discounts can help you save a significant amount of money, but their main purpose is to bring in new customers. With car insurance being such a competitive market, always be cautious when deciding on a plan. Read the terms and conditions and be aware of a few exclusions you could run into.
- Time limits. Some deals may only apply for a limited period of time. There’s a big difference between getting 10% off for one year or two.
- Exclusions. As with the policies themselves, exclusions can also apply to discounts. Customers who are already earning certain discounts are often excluded from any more or might only qualify for up to a certain amount off total, for example.
- Rising premiums: Getting 25% off car insurance is nice, but you’re not saving any money if the insurer raises your premiums by 26% soon after. For general car insurance, insurers are able to set their prices, and change them without notice. Stay diligent and frequently compare policies, or ask your insurer why they raised your rates.
Which company has the cheapest car insurance?
While some companies may seem to be the cheapest based on the number of discounts offered, you won’t necessarily get the best overall rate. And your exact quotes will depend on your location, driving history, vehicle and coverage choices, among other factors. To find the best affordable insurance for you, it pays to compare total costs and what you get for that price, including coverage, mobile apps, customer support and perks like free roadside assistance. Compare sample quotes for cheap car insurance to get an idea of what you can get for the bare minimum coverage.
Cheap car insurance quotes with discounts included
|Company||Average annual rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$651||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$709||Read review|
|State Farm||$726||Read review|
|The Hartford||$727||Read review|
|Average||$598||Compare all reviews|
More ways to save money on car insurance
To save even more on your insurance, keep these other options in mind.
- Buy a car that’s cheaper to insure. Cars that are cheaper and easier to repair cost less to insure. Keep prices down by buying something that’s cheap, safe and fuel-efficient.
- Drive defensively. You’ll always save money if you don’t make any claims. To avoid an accident never drive while impaired, tired or distracted.
- Pick a higher deductible. The deductible makes a substantial difference to your premiums, and it’s worth adjusting to take advantage of savings.
- Nominate drivers. Specify exactly who’s allowed to drive your car, and prevent anyone else from getting behind the wheel. This can go a long way to keeping premiums down.
- Park safely. Many insurers will offer lower prices for a car that is kept under a carport rather than on the street, and lower prices still when it is kept in a secure, lockable garage.
- Choose add-ons carefully. Where possible choose a policy that gives you the flexibility to drop features you don’t need, and get the ones that are important to you.
We all need car insurance, and often feel we are paying too much. Before you sign up for a plan, be sure to compare your options and look at what discounts you qualify for.