We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe car insurance rates
This upcoming model could come with a grand car insurance premium.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The 2-Series Gran Coupe will probably enter the market with a steep insurance rate given the car’s size and price. The compact car could bring a similar premium to other BMWs like the 4 Series, totaling $238 a month or $2,856 a year, nearly $1,600 above the national average. With a base price of $38,000, that would leave the annual insurance cost-to-base car price ratio at 7.5%, above the national average of 4%.
Compare car insurance for your BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe
How do I compare insurance for the Gran Coupe?
The Gran Coupe is a luxury sedan with specialty repair and coverage needs. Factors to consider when insuring this car:
- Body type. Although coupe is in the name, this model’s four doors could qualify it as a sedan, which are cheaper cars to insure.
- Fuel. While there are no fuel ratings for the Gran Coupe yet, the regular 2-series gets at or above-average gas mileage for its class. For example, the BMW 230i gets 24 mpg in the city and 35 mpg for highway driving.
- Theft rates. Most BMWs see a few hundred thefts each model year. But many of the newest models have seen fewer than 50, meaning safety is improving over time.
- Maintenance. BMW has a reputation for high maintenance costs, and the BMW 328i sits at the top for the most expensive cars to maintain. Plus, you may need specialized parts and skill to repair your BMW, which means higher insurance rates.
- Coverage. Despite being entry-level luxury, the Gran Coupe probably needs luxury insurance to get higher maximums and protection, which translates to higher rates.
- Insurer options. You won’t have as many provider choices as with standard cars, and fewer choices almost always drive up rates. Look to luxury car insurers like Chubb for help.
- Warranty. The Gran Coupe gets BMW’s standard four-year, 50,000-mile warranty plus four years of roadside assistance, so you’ll save by skipping that coverage on insurance. BMW also tosses in wheel balancing, alignment and wiper blade inserts up to 2,000 miles.
Does the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe qualify for discounts?
The Gran Coupe should come outfitted with similar safety technology as the standard 2 Series cars with features like:
- Antitheft system
- Antilock brakes
- Driver assistance tech
- Stability control
Why is insurance so expensive for the Gran Coupe?
This car will skirt the bottom of luxury with its price and performance compared to other luxury models. But it still has features that could lead to an above-average premium, such as its higher price and higher coverage expectations. A mechanic might need added skill and imported German car parts to make repairs.
How reliable is the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe?
Since the Gran Coupe was crowned a 2 Series model, you can take hints from the safety of the 2 Series. That means fairly high safety and reliability but with some anticipated recalls.
- Safety. The 2019 2 Series coupe had high marks in all crash test categories with the IIHS, except for its headlight visibility.
- Reliability. The 2 Series was the most reliable sporty car in 2016 from Consumer Reports. The 2019 model also held a reliability rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars from J.D. Power.
- Recalls. Each model in the 2 Series has seen one or two recalls. For example, the 228 was recalled for improper construction of the fuel pump, and the 230 was recalled for incorrect firmware that could lead to the vehicle stalling and flawed software for the instrument panel display.
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe should compete with entry-level luxury sedans, making its insurance premium higher than standard cars but not as elite as the best in its class. However, its premium might look steep compared to its lower ticket price versus other luxury cars.
Frequently asked questions about the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe
Read more on this topic
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ferrari LaFerrari car insurance rates You can expect to pay a lot to buy — and insure — this hybrid hypercar from Ferrari.