Disclaimer: The partners on Finder's mortgage comparison tables are sorted in alphabetical order.
Best mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What are the best mortgage lenders?
How we picked the best lenders
We chose these five lenders based on several criteria, including fees, loan amounts, interest rates and eligibility requirements. We also considered customer reviews from sites such as Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Learn more about our home loan rating methodology.
Best for first-time buyers
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
Other mortgages: As low as 580, depending on type
Best for refinancing
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
FHA, VA: 580
Best for veterans
Best lending marketplace
|Minimum credit score||Mid-600s (varies by lender)|
How do I choose the best mortgage lender?
- Types of loans. There are several types of mortgages — including jumbo, conventional, fixed rate, adjustable rate and government insured. Not all lenders offer all types, so knowing which kind you want can help you narrow down your options.
- Mortgage rates. Generally speaking, the lower the rate on a home loan, the less you’ll pay over time.
- Down payment requirement. If the amount you’re able to put down on a home is limited, the lender’s requirements based on your financial situation can make or break your purchasing power.
- Cost and fees. Some are less than transparent. Comb through the fine print and ask about all fees involved.
- Prepayment penalties. Some lenders penalize you for paying off your loan early, while others don’t. If you plan on paying off your mortgage ahead of time, look for a lender that won’t charge you a fee for it.
- Credit score flexibility. Different lenders have different credit requirements when it comes to credit scores, and some are more strict than others. Knowing where your score stands can help you find the lenders most likely to approve you.
- Face-to-face service. Many modern digital lenders lack brick-and-mortar branches. If in-person service is important to you, a more traditional lender might be a better fit.
Our top five mortgage lender picks offer some of the lowest rates and best loan terms around — and they’re each well-reviewed by their customers. But if they don’t align with your needs, continue comparing your mortgage options until you find the right fit.
Home loans ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top home loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, product selection and borrower experience.
More guides on Finder
Lendzi business loans review: Compare multiple business loans in one place.
Lendzi lets you compare multiple business loan options in one place. Here’s how it works.
10 best trading platform for beginners 2023
These are the best trading platforms for beginners, according to Finder’s comprehensive analysis.
Artificial intelligence stocks
AI is one of the most exciting industries on the market. Here’s some of the top artificial intelligence stocks to watch.
Changes coming to Roth retirement catch-up contributions at work
What you need to know about the future of catch-up contributions.
8 best ETF brokers of 2023
These are the best ETF brokers of 2023, according to Finder’s comprehensive review.
Why saving money feels impossible and how to adjust
Strategies for saving better while inflation is high.
How to invest in startups
Find out how to invest in startups, how long it could take to get your money and why startup investing is so risky.
Best same-day business loans of 2023
Same-day business loans can get you funds the same business day as you apply, rather than making you wait 24 hours or more.
How to buy cryptocurrency – a beginner’s guide
Learn how to buy and store crypto with a few checklists to keep in mind.
Ask an Expert