Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to get cheap SR-22 insurance
Save on SR-22 insurance to prove you're insured
An SR-22 is a form your insurance company fills out with the DMV stating you have the required car insurance. But based on your driving history, you may find yourself paying higher insurance premiums, especially if you’re a high risk driver. Find out how to save on SR-22 insurance and get back on the road on the cheap.
How much does SR-22 insurance cost?
Filing an SR-22 isn’t expensive. An SR-22 typically costs from $25 to 55 for the certificate, which your insurer will help you fill out.
But expect your insurance rates to go up by 50% or more, depending on why you need an SR-22. For example, getting a DUI could raise your insurance rates by $1,250 for three to five years, not to mention court fees and other costs.
Cheap SR-22 car insurance quotes
|Company||Average monthly rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$81||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$89||Read review|
|State Farm||$91||Read review|
How to save on SR-22 insurance
Even with a DUI or SR-22 on your record, you can still save money on SR-22 insurance.
- Look for discounts. Take advantage of as many discounts as you can find, like getting good grades, paying up front, not making claims and more.
- Nominate drivers. You might get a better rate by listing a low-risk driver on your policy and nominating yourself, if you both share a car.
- Choose the highest deductible you can afford. Pick a deductible that you could cover in an emergency. Raising your deductible from $250 to $500 might only save you $5 a month, and it could put a strain on your savings if you do have to make a claim.
- Remove extra coverage. You could save $500 or more by dropping collision and comprehensive on an older car you don’t drive much. Consider dropping your liability limits if they’re too high for an older car.
- Don’t pay for features you won’t use. For example you won’t need towing coverage if you already have an AAA membership or a new car warranty.
- Shop around. Get a few quotes from SR-22-friendly companies to find the best rate for you.
Get cheap SR-22 insurance
How does an SR-22 affect my insurance rates?
Based on your driving history, you may find yourself paying higher insurance premiums. Consider these factors that affect your car insurance rates for SR-22 insurance.
- Severity of incident. DUI conviction and accident will cost more than traffic violation like speeding tickets.
- Number of incidents. Several incidents in the span of three years will cost more in insurance than one.
- Age. The youngest drivers will find the worst insurance costs with a driving under the influence charge.
- Time. Car insurance providers typically look at your driving record from the past three to five years, but a DUI could stay on your record for up to ten years.
- Provider. Some companies penalize you more for problems with your driving record than others.
How long will I have higher rates after an SR-22?
How long you’ll need an SR-22 will vary by state and situation. Most states require an SR-22 for three years. During those three years, you’re required to pay for and file a new SR-22 each time you renew your policy.
If in those three years you commit any dangerous driving offenses, you could be required to extend the length of time you need an SR-22. If you’ve remained free of accidents, you can forfeit the certificate and get back to purchasing regular, low-risk insurance coverage.
An SR-22 isn’t the end of the world, but it is the end of cheap car insurance rates. You can still save even if you need an Sr-22, and the best way to do that is by comparing rates from different car insurance companies.
Frequently asked questions about cheap SR-22 insurance
Read more on this topic
Audi S4 insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Audi S4.
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Ask an Expert