Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to get cheap SR-22 insurance
Save on SR-22 insurance to prove you're insured
An SR-22 is a form your insurance company fills out with the DMV stating you have the required car insurance. But based on your driving history, you may find yourself paying higher insurance premiums, especially if you’re a high risk driver. Find out how to save on SR-22 insurance and get back on the road on the cheap.
How much does SR-22 insurance cost?
Filing an SR-22 isn’t expensive. An SR-22 typically costs from $25 to 55 for the certificate, which your insurer will help you fill out.
But expect your insurance rates to go up by 50% or more, depending on why you need an SR-22. For example, getting a DUI could raise your insurance rates by $1,250 for three to five years, not to mention court fees and other costs.
Cheap SR-22 car insurance quotes
|Company||Average monthly rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$81||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$89||Read review|
|State Farm||$91||Read review|
How to save on SR-22 insurance
Even with a DUI or SR-22 on your record, you can still save money on SR-22 insurance.
- Look for discounts. Take advantage of as many discounts as you can find, like getting good grades, paying up front, not making claims and more.
- Nominate drivers. You might get a better rate by listing a low-risk driver on your policy and nominating yourself, if you both share a car.
- Choose the highest deductible you can afford. Pick a deductible that you could cover in an emergency. Raising your deductible from $250 to $500 might only save you $5 a month, and it could put a strain on your savings if you do have to make a claim.
- Remove extra coverage. You could save $500 or more by dropping collision and comprehensive on an older car you don’t drive much. Consider dropping your liability limits if they’re too high for an older car.
- Don’t pay for features you won’t use. For example you won’t need towing coverage if you already have an AAA membership or a new car warranty.
- Shop around. Get a few quotes from SR-22-friendly companies to find the best rate for you.
Get cheap SR-22 insurance
How does an SR-22 affect my insurance rates?
Based on your driving history, you may find yourself paying higher insurance premiums. Consider these factors that affect your car insurance rates for SR-22 insurance.
- Severity of incident. DUI conviction and accident will cost more than traffic violation like speeding tickets.
- Number of incidents. Several incidents in the span of three years will cost more in insurance than one.
- Age. The youngest drivers will find the worst insurance costs with a driving under the influence charge.
- Time. Car insurance providers typically look at your driving record from the past three to five years, but a DUI could stay on your record for up to ten years.
- Provider. Some companies penalize you more for problems with your driving record than others.
How long will I have higher rates after an SR-22?
How long you’ll need an SR-22 will vary by state and situation. Most states require an SR-22 for three years. During those three years, you’re required to pay for and file a new SR-22 each time you renew your policy.
If in those three years you commit any dangerous driving offenses, you could be required to extend the length of time you need an SR-22. If you’ve remained free of accidents, you can forfeit the certificate and get back to purchasing regular, low-risk insurance coverage.
An SR-22 isn’t the end of the world, but it is the end of cheap car insurance rates. You can still save even if you need an Sr-22, and the best way to do that is by comparing rates from different car insurance companies.
Frequently asked questions about cheap SR-22 insurance
Read more on this topic
Chevrolet Trailblazer car insurance rates This CUV might have higher rates than average unless the new model boosts crash safety.
BMW Alpina XB7 car insurance rates The BMW Alpina XB7 might require a luxury insurance package to get the coverage you need.
Is it illegal to sleep in your car? Some cities ban the practice, but otherwise you can overnight legally at designated parking areas.
Chevrolet Blazer car insurance rates Strong safety ratings help keep insurance rates predictable for the revamped Chevy Blazer.
Compare manual vs. automatic car insurance Cars with stick shifts cost a little less to insure than automatics
How to self-insure your car Self-insurance may not be the money-saver you’re hoping for.
Compare car insurance after a life event When life changes, re-evaluating your policy can help you save on your car insurance premium.
Coronavirus car stories LA drag racing, doggy DUI and premium forgiveness in the response to COVID-19.
Branch car insurance review May 2020 Branch auto insurance takes a community-focused approach with friend referral discounts.
Watch out for these weird car laws Brush up on these strange car laws before your next road trip across state lines.
Ask an Expert