Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Compare car insurance companies
Choose from our A-Z list of 165+ car insurance companies, reviewed by insurance experts.
This article was reviewed by Andrew Flueckiger, a member of the Finder Editorial Review Board and certified insurance counselor and licensed insurance agent in five states.
Finder’s insurance team spent thousands of hours analyzing over 165 car insurance companies to help you narrow down your options. Rely on our unbiased reviews to cut out days of research about each company’s coverage, discounts, free or optional perks and customer reviews.
hours of research
The 10 largest car insurance companies
These top 10 car insurance companies make up nearly 75% of the personal car insurance market. Taking up such a huge part of the market shows that most drivers trust these companies for their car insurance. Dive in to our reviews of the largest auto insurers to see what the hype is about.
List of car insurance company reviews
Choose the letter from our alphabetized list that corresponds with the name of the company you’re interested in, such as S for State Farm. Then, click the company name to read our review.
Compare the largest auto insurers side by side
See how the top companies compare against each other, based on their market share, financial strength and customer service ratings. What these ratings mean:
- A.M. Best financial strength — Tell whether an insurer has the finances to pay for your car insurance claims.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating — Get an idea of how the company interacts with customers. The BBB rating is based on publicly available information, company complaints and the BBB’s opinion.
- Finder star rating — Our Finder rating scores companies in several areas, including coverage, benefits, financial strength and customer ratings from J.D. Power, the BBB, Trustpilot and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Market share — Market share is based on the 2021 National Association of Insurance Commissioners market share report, showing how much business one company gets compared to another.
- 21st Century
- American Family
- American Farmers & Ranchers Group
- American National
- Connect (formerly Ameriprise)
- Archer Daniels Midland Group
- Automobile Club MI Group
- Bear River Mutual
- Bristol West
- Buckeye Insurance Group
- California Capital
- California Casualty
- Celina Insurance
- Church Pension Fund Group
- Civil Service Employee Group
- CNA Insurance Group
- Colorado Farm Bureau
- Columbia Insurance Group
- Concord Group Insurance
- Country Financial
- CSAA Insurance Group
- Cumberland Group
- Direct Auto
- Donegal Insurance Group
- Electric Auto
- Farm Bureau
- Farmers Mutual Insurance of Nebraska
- Florida Farm Bureau
- Georgia Farm Bureau
- Germania Insurance Group
- Grange Mutual Casualty Group
- Gray Insurance Group
- Grinnell Mutual
- Hastings Mutual
- Hochheim Prairie Group
- Horace Mann Group
- Idaho Farm Bureau
- IMT Insurance
- Indiana Farm Bureau Group
- Indiana Farmers Mutual
- Insco Insurance Services Group
- Island Insurance Co Group
- Kemper Specialty
- Kentucky Farm Bureau
- Leon Hix Group
- Liberty Mutual
- Lockhart Co Group
- Loya Group
- Main Street Amer Group
- Meadowbrook Insurance Group
- Merchants Insurance Group
- Michigan Farm Bureau
- Michigan Farm Bureau Group
- Mile Auto
- Mississippi Farm Bureau
- Missouri Farm Bureau Insurance
- MMG Insurance
- Motion Auto
- Motorists Mutual Insurance Company
- Mountain States Insurance Co Group
- Mutual Benefit Group
- Mutual Of Enumclaw
- National General
- National General Group
- NC Farm Bureau
- NC Farm Bureau
- New Jersey Manufacturers
- Nodak Mutual Insurance Company
- Norfolk Dedham Group
- North Star Mutual
- Ocean Harbor Group
- Ohio Mutual Insurance Group
- Oklahoma Farm Bureau
- Oregon Mutual
- Partners Mutual
- Patriot Insurance Company
- Pekin Insurance
- Penn National
- Pioneer State Mutual
- Plymouth Rock
- Preferred Mutual
- Quincy Mutual
- Rockford Mutual
- Rockingham Group
- Southern Farm Bureau Casualty
- Starr Group
- State Auto
- State Farm
- Tennessee Farm Bureau
- Texas Farm Bureau
- The General
- The Hanover Insurance Group
- The Hartford
- Umialik Insurance Company
- Union Mutual of Vermont
- Utica National Insurance Group
- Vermont Mutual
- Virginia Farm Bureau
- Wayne & Washington Mutual Group
- West Bend Mutual
- Western National
- Western Reserve
- Western Reserve Group
- Wolverine Mutual
|Car insurance company||Market share||Finder star rating||AM Best financial strength||BBB rating|
|State Farm||16%||4 of 5 stars||A++||A+|
|Geico||13.5%||4 of 5 stars||A++||A+|
|Progressive||13%||4 of 5 stars||A+||A+|
|Allstate||9%||4 of 5 stars||A+||A+|
|USAA||6%||4 of 5 stars||A++||A|
|Liberty Mutual||5%||4 of 5 stars||A||A+|
|Farmers||4%||4 of 5 stars||A||A-|
|Nationwide||2%||4 of 5 stars||A+||A+|
|American Family||2%||4 of 5 stars||A||A|
|Travelers||2%||4.5 of 5 stars||A+||A+|
Alphabetical list of auto insurance companies
The big brands like Geico and Progressive can offer great perks, prices and availability across states. However, smaller local companies like Arbella or Bear River may offer better customer service or unique perks for your area, career or car.
Compare the full list of companies that offer car insurance coverage directly to any driver:
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
More guides on Finder
Compare car insurance in Stockton
Compare car insurance rates and features that serve Stockton.
Car insurance in Modesto
These 4 best car insurance picks are a good starting point for shopping around in Modesto.
5 best life insurance companies for parents
The 5 best life insurance companies for parents at different stages of life.
Car insurance in Bakersfield
Compare top car insurance companies in Bakersfield, plus see why you need extra coverage here.
Car insurance in Sacramento
Shop for car insurance in Sacramento with the best coverage, rates, service and local reputation.
Compare car insurance in San Jose
Car insurance isn’t optional in San Jose. Compare insurers that serve San Jose, California.
Compare car insurance in Fresno
Compare insurers that serve Fresno, California, side by side.
Car insurance in San Diego
These top 4 companies should narrow down your car insurance options in San Diego.
Car insurance in Denver
See our 4 best picks for car insurance in Denver, plus a few more to consider.
Car insurance engine SR-22
Get cheap car insurance quotes for you.