Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare the best cheap car insurance for 2020
Find the cheapest car insurance rates to save on the coverage you need
Car insurance can protect you and your vehicle from the unexpected, but it can also take a chunk out of your budget. By comparing low-cost insurers and figuring out the right kind of coverage for your car and the way you drive it, you can get a policy that saves you big while offering full protection.
WATCH: How to get cheaper car insurance
What's in this guide?
- Which companies have the best cheap car insurance?
- Cheapest car insurance for most drivers
- Cheapest liability only car insurance coverage
- Cheapest car insurance for men
- Cheapest car insurance for women
- Cheapest car insurance for young drivers
- Get cheap car insurance quotes online
- What's the cheapest type of car insurance policy?
- What can I do to get cheap car insurance rates?
- Bottom line
- Common questions about cheap car insurance
Which companies have the best cheap car insurance?
The cheapest insurance for you depends on what you’re looking for in a policy, plus other factors such as your driving record, location, demographics and car. The cheapest car insurance company for one driver might not be the same one for another.
Compare the companies with the lowest rates to get an idea of who might have the cheapest rates for you.
Cheapest car insurance for most drivers
These insurers tend to have the cheapest rates for certain drivers, but your mileage may vary.
|Cheapest for||Average monthly rate||Cheapest insurer|
|Drivers who want to bundle insurance||$72||★★★★★||Progressive|
|Military members, veterans and family||$44||★★★★★||USAA|
Cheapest liability only car insurance coverage
|Company||Lowest monthly rate|
Cheapest car insurance for men
Surprisingly, Allstate and Travelers had the lowest rates for men, though Mercury also had the lowest rates for certain drivers. When you get quotes, you might not see these rates, since your actual rates will be based on factors like the car you drive, where you live and your driving history.
|Age||Cheapest rate||Cheapest insurer|
Cheapest car insurance for women
Allstate and Travelers had the lowest rates for women too, but Central narrowly made the list too for certain drivers. While this is the absolute lowest rate you could get from these insurers, not every driver will qualify due to other factors that play into rates, such as your car, driving record and address.
|Age||Cheapest rate||Cheapest insurer|
Cheapest car insurance for young drivers
|Company||Cheapest annual rate|
Get cheap car insurance quotes online
What’s the cheapest type of car insurance policy?
The less coverage you have, the lower your premiums. Liability only policies are the cheapest type of policy because you’re only covered for the bare minimum required by your state, which is typically bodily injury and property damage liability. Higher coverage policies that include collision and comprehensive coverage, often called full coverage policies, are typically twice as expensive than liability-only policies because these policies protect your car from almost any kind of accident.
|State||Liability only||Full coverage|
What can I do to get cheap car insurance rates?
Compare the top ways to get cheaper car insurance quotes.
- Remove coverage you don’t need. Resist adding optional extras unless you truly need them. Also consider dropping comprehensive and collision on an older car.
- Raise your deductible. Consider raising your deductible, which is the amount you have to pay when making a claim before you get reimbursed. A higher deductible means lower premiums. Just make sure you can afford the higher cost if you end up needing to make a claim.
- Nominate your drivers. You should see lower premiums by insuring your policy in the oldest or safest driver’s name and nominating drivers with higher risk. Just avoid fronting — falsely listing who uses the car the most — otherwise your claim could be denied.
- Reduce your mileage. You could get a low mileage discount if you drive less than 35 miles a day or 13,000 per year.
- Check for discounts. Make sure you’re getting rewarded where you can. And check for any new deals that may come up after being with a carrier for a while, like a claims-free or loyalty discount.
- Shop around to compare prices. Switch car insurance instead of renewing, especially if you’ve been through any big life changes like getting married or moving. You can also use comparison quotes to ask for a price match from your current insurer, or compare quotes from regional or local car insurance company.
If you want inexpensive car insurance, you’ll need to compare the options available from a range of insurers. The right policy at the right price is out there, you’ve just got to go find it. Compare your options to find cheap auto insurance that’s right for you.
Common questions about cheap car insurance
Read more on this topic
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Does car insurance cover PTSD after a car accident? How to make a car insurance claim for mental or emotional injuries after a car accident.
How to transfer your car registration in 5 basic steps Learn the basic steps for transferring your car registration from another state or previous car.
Grundy classic car insurance review July 2020 Protect your classic as well as your daily driver with steep liability coverage all on one policy.
J.C. Taylor classic car insurance review July 2020 Protect nearly any classic vehicle at least 19 years old with no-fuss, standard coverage.
How to get your claim paid without receipts No receipts? See how you can still get your insurance claim paid with different types of policies.
Ask an Expert