We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Best car insurance picks
- Cheapest rates
- Discounts up to 40%
- Policyholder owned
- Award-winning support
- Flexible payment schedule
- Special benefits for military
List of the best car insurance companies
We combined the results of over 88,085 surveyed auto insurance consumers from Consumer Reports and the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction survey to rank the best car insurance providers in 2020. Compare the best car insurance companies and the top factors to help you decide which provider is best for you.
|Company||Finder rating||Best for||Learn more|
|USAA||★★★★★||Best perks and rates. Only for military members and their family.|
|Metromile||★★★★★||Best usage-based insurance for young, safe or low-mileage drivers|
|Amica||★★★★★||Best personalized customer experience|
|Geico||★★★★★||Best cheap car insurance and discounts|
|Allstate||★★★★★||Best for free perks and luxury cars|
|State Farm||★★★★★||Best coverage and insurance bundling|
|Esurance||★★★★★||Best online support and cheap rates|
|Company||Finder rating||Best for||Learn more|
|Erie||★★★★★||Best local coverage and agent support in the South & Midwest|
|Auto-Owners||★★★★★||Best rates and discounts for safe drivers|
|Electric Auto||★★★★★||Best small company with big discounts and fast claims|
|AAA||★★★★★||Best towing & roadside coverage|
|American Family||★★★★★||Best coverage for families with teen drivers|
|Progressive||★★★★★||Best coverage for pet owners|
|The Hartford||★★★★★||Best for senior drivers and AARP members|
|Titan||★★★★★||Best for SR-22 and high risk drivers|
|Kentucky Farm Bureau||★★★★★|
|New Jersey Manufacturers||★★★★★|
|Texas Farm Bureau||★★★★★|
|Bear River Mutual||★★★★★|
|Michigan Farm Bureau||★★★★★|
|NC Farm Bureau||★★★★★|
Case study: Adrienne’s experience with USAA
Head of Publishing
I’ve been a USAA member for more than 10 years, having held renters, personal property and auto insurance policies. USAA representatives are always friendly and available with little or no wait times when I call, though customer service is not open late.
I brought my policy to a friend who runs a local insurance agency to see if I could get a better deal. He told me, “Don’t bother — I won’t be able to get you this coverage for a better price.”
I’ve gotten two mortgage preapprovals through USAA, but didn’t end up using them because the rates weren’t as low as going through a broker.
At least as far as insurance goes, I fall into their tagline: It’s safe to say that I’ll be a USAA member for life.
Best car insurance rates
Looking for the best rates? Compare sample quotes for California drivers and see how much you could save by looking for better car insurance deals.
|Company||Average annual rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$1,701||Read review|
|State Farm||$2,474||Read review|
|The Hartford||$2,529||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$2,611||Read review|
|Average||$1,910||Compare all reviews|
Your monthly premium doesn’t tell the whole story about your car insurance.
Car insurance companies may not differ much in the coverage they provide, but can be worlds away on the quality of their service. While both you and the company hope to never make a claim, if you are in an accident, you want to be sure they pay your claim.
- Decide which factors matter most to you. Does your provider charge extra for monthly payments or paperless bills? How easy is it to contact customer service? What’s the process like for making a car insurance claim? These are important questions to ask to make sure you choose the right provider.
- Research companies that meet your criteria. Narrow down your list by comparing how a company treats customers and claims when researching car insurance companies.
- Get quotes. Go online to get quotes from your top picks. The more info you fill out, the more accurate your quote will be. You can also call a broker to help you get multiple quotes.
- Ask for discounts. Use your competing quotes to get the best rate. Make sure you ask for any discounts you could qualify for to get the lowest rate.
What’s the best kind of car insurance policy?
Liability insurance policies come with expensive add-ons depending on the provider, making them difficult to compare on price alone. However, if you decide on full coverage, there are additional options to consider. The best policy for you is something that has all the extras you need, and nothing you don’t.
- Liability only for cheap cars. Liability, personal property and bodily injury coverage will pay for any damage you cause after an accident. You need to meet your state’s minimum liability requirements, but most drivers should consider higher limits to protect the entire value of their car.
- Full coverage for newer cars and frequent drivers. This policy type includes collision and comprehensive coverage. Collision coverage protects you in a car accident, and comprehensive covers you for everything else. This type of policy is ideal for newer vehicles, drivers with long commutes and anyone else who can’t pay out of pocket after an accident.
- Roadside assistance for older cars. Many insurers offer free towing and roadside coverage if you have collision and comprehensive coverage. Others offer it as an add-on for a few extra dollars a month.
- Mileage-based for low-mileage drivers. If you don’t drive much, consider a policy that lets you save by only paying for the miles you drive.
- Gap insurance for a financed car. If your car is stolen or totaled, your insurer will pay off any remaining lease or loan balance so you aren’t stuck making payments on a car that can’t be driven anymore. Without this coverage, there would be a gap between what the insurance company pays you and what you owe your bank or dealership, and that can be a financially-debilitating burden.
How do I find a company with the best customer service?
In car insurance, customer service means a lot more than just a smile as you fill out the paperwork. It means being able to depend on your insurer in the event of a claim, and knowing that the next time you speak to them, you might be having a very bad day.
To find car insurance companies with the very best customer service, look into each of the following areas.
- Response times. Email turnaround, how long it takes for a rep to pick up when you call and the ways available to contact an insurer for questions and claims all play a part in how good your experience is. It can be a good idea to avoid insurers that aren’t available for claims service 24/7.
- Claim reporting options. If you have a preference for online claims or want to be able to use an app, make an effort to look for insurers that offer these options. Being able to use what you’re comfortable with during a potentially highly stressful situation can ease the process.
- Communication. How attentive an insurer is throughout the claims process can make an important difference when you’re making a claim. Chasing an agent down for updates when you’re already dealing with a mess can be frustrating and time consuming. Let them keep you in the loop instead.
- Policy flexibility. Flexibility encompasses not only the options available to you, but also the ease with which you can take advantage of them and the responsiveness of your insurer. Having the option to save more doesn’t mean as much if you have to jump through tons of hoops to get it.
- Partnered service quality. Free roadside assistance might not be much use if it’s not available in your area, while towing, vehicle storage, glass and windshield replacement and other repairs will all typically involve the use of partnered service providers. It can be a good idea to compare the quality of these, and look for relevant reviews.
Finding the best car insurance is unique for every driver. Compare each quote and company based on the value you’re getting for the cost. What you value may be different from other drivers, from good customer service to coverage levels that protect you and your family from any road disaster.
Start your search by comparing car insurance options to find the right policy for you.
Get rates from some of the best car insurance companies
Questions about the best car insurance
Ask an Expert