Primary Residential Mortgage review
This Utah-based direct lender has 240 retail branches nationwide and excellent customer reviews, but the website lacks clarity, and you must choose a loan officer to apply for a loan.
Primary Residential Mortgage is a direct lender with 240 retail branches across 49 states. The company offers a wide selection of loans and leverages the Blend lending platform for a more modern application process. But interest rates aren’t listed online, and you’ll need to choose a loan officer in your state before you can apply for a loan.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, Home Equity, Reverse, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Not available in: NY|
Primary Residential Mortgage requirements
To apply for a loan, either call the company to find a loan officer and get prequalified, or start the online application after choosing a loan officer.
Basic eligibility for a Primary Residential Mortgage loan includes:
- Residency in any state except New York.
- Two years’ history of employment.
- No history of bankruptcy for at least two years.
Here’s a list of Primary Residential Mortgage’s standard documentation requirements for all borrowers.
- Personal identification.
- Residence history for the past two years.
- Previous two years’ tax returns and W-2s.
- Employment information for the last two years.
- Paycheck stubs from the most recent 30 days.
- Bank statements from the most recent two months.
- Statements for 401(k)s, brokerage accounts and investments.
- Other documentation.
Costs and fees
While not listed online, you can expect to pay about 2% to 5% of your home’s total price in fees, including application, origination and third-party fees.
How to apply for a mortgage with Primary Residential Mortgage
To apply for a mortgage with Primary Residential Mortgage, either call the company or start an online application. To start an online application, here’s what you need to do.
- Visit the Primary Residential Mortgage website.
- Select Find an Advisor.
- Enter your zip code to search for loan officers in your area and wait for the list to load.
- Select Apply Now from one of the listings to begin an online application.
- Select Apply Now again once you are directed to the loan officer’s page.
- Answer the questions and provide the information requested.
- Read and choose if you agree with the terms and conditions.
- Select Continue.
What types of mortgages can I get through Primary Residential Mortgage?
Other mortgage products offered by Primary Residential Mortgage
Primary Residential Mortgage also offers these specialized types of mortgages:
- Refinance loans. This type of loan can help reduce your interest rate, lower your mortgage payment and get rid of PMI.
- Renovation loans. Allows you to finance the property plus the costs of renovations in a single loan with one monthly payment.
- VA Streamline Refinance (IRRRL). If you’re a veteran, this loan lets you refinance your current VA mortgage without asset or income verification.
- FHA Streamline Refinance. A refinance option for existing FHA homeowners with lenient documentation requirements and relaxed qualifications.
How Primary Residential Mortgage’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, Primary Residential Mortgage offers a standard selection of mortgage types, including government-backed loans, jumbo loans, reverse mortgages and first-time homebuyer programs. While the bank has excellent ratings from past customers, the website lacks information about prequalification, and unlike some lenders, you’re forced to choose a loan officer before you can start an online application.
Compare mortgage lenders and brokersCompare these lenders and lender marketplaces by the type of home loan you're searching for, state availability and minimum credit score (for a conventional loan). Select See rates to provide the company with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
Primary Residential Mortgage reviews and complaints
As of February 2021, Primary Residential Mortgage has a 5 out of 5 rating on Zillow from over 5,200 customers, who report being happy with the helpfulness, knowledge and responsiveness of their loan officers. Primary Residential Mortgage is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and has had 18 complaints registered in the past three years.
Pros and cons of Primary Residential Mortgage
- Loan selection. Primary Residential Mortgage has a solid range of home loans for both first-time and experienced homebuyers.
- Blend application process. The company uses the Blend lending platform, which helps to streamline the application process.
- Customer reviews. The company has excellent customer reviews from thousands of customers who report being happy with the service provided.
- Website lacks clarity. Loan types are not clearly laid out, and there’s no information about the prequalification process.
- Not available in New York. Primary Residential Mortgage is unavailable in New York at this time.
- Must choose an advisor. You must choose a loan officer to begin the online application process.
What is Primary Residential Mortgage?
Founded in 1998, Primary Residential Mortgage is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. The company employs over 150 local team members in Utah and 1,500 employees nationwide. Primary Residential Mortgage offers 240 retail branches across the county and is licensed to do business in all states except New York.
Frequently asked questions
Kat Aoki is a mortgage writer at Finder. Since 2011, she’s helped consumers make better financial decisions with their home loans, credit cards, insurance and more. As a business writer for the real estate, mortgage and personal finance industries, she’s written hundreds of helpful, informative articles for some of the leading brands around the globe that include iSelect, InfoChoice, realestate.com.au, GE Money and Amex. Kat earned a BS in Marketing from California State University, Sacramento. She enjoys travel, hiking and photography in her spare time.
If you prefer a lending process that combines technology with a human touch, Primary Residential Mortgage may be worth considering. However, the company doesn’t advertise its interest rates online, and you must choose a loan officer to begin the application process. We recommend calling the company to find a loan officer you want to work with, get prequalified, then compare quotes from other lenders.