Ameris Bank mortgage review
This lender offers a wide variety of mortgages, first-time homebuyer programs and specialized loans, but you need to live in Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states to apply.
Ameris Bank is a lender whose stated mission is to find creative solutions to your financial needs. The company provides in-house loan underwriting, funding and closing and offers a wide range of mortgages and specialized loans, including jumbo loans, extended rate lock loans, construction and rehab loans and medical professional loans.
Minimum credit score
Minimum down payment (Conventional)
Only available in: AL, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, TN, VA
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, HELOC, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional:620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Only available in: AL, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, TN, VA|
Kat Aoki is a personal finance writer at Finder, specializing in consumer and business lending. She’s written thousands of articles to help consumers make better decisions on their home loans, bank accounts, credit cards, cryptocurrency and more. Kat is well versed in working with leading brands in the real estate, mortgage and personal finance industries, and her expertise has been featured on Forbes Advisor, Lifewire and financial comparison sites like iSelect and realestate.com.au. She holds a BS in business administration from California State University, Sacramento and enjoys hiking and yoga in her spare time.
If you’re looking for a Southeast-based lender with an extensive branch network and multiple financial products under one roof, Ameris Bank could be a good choice. Besides home loans and HELOCs, the bank offers checking and savings accounts, credit cards and retirement and investment planning services, plus financial services for businesses.
Ameris Bank doesn’t advertise its interest rates online, so if you’re interested in applying for a mortgage, we recommend contacting the bank and speaking with a loan officer. As always, be sure to compare quotes from a few different lenders to find the best interest rate and terms for your situation.
Ameris Bank requirements
Basic eligibility for a mortgage loan includes:
- Residency in Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee or Virginia
- Two years’ history of employment.
- A FICO credit score of at least 620 or higher.
- No history of bankruptcy for at least two years.
To find out if you meet the requirements for an Ameris Bank mortgage, call the bank to speak with a loan officer, visit a branch or select a loan officer from the website and apply from the loan officer’s webpage.
While every situation differs, here’s the basic documentation you’ll need to apply for a mortgage from Ameris Bank.
- Personal identification.
- Income verification for the most recent 30 days.
- Bank statements from the past two months.
- Completed tax returns and W-2s from the last two years.
- Employment verification contact information.
- Other property and insurance documentation, if applicable.
Costs and fees
While not listed online, you can expect to pay about 2% to 5% of your home’s total price in fees, including application, origination and third-party fees.
How to apply for a mortgage with Ameris Bank
- Find a loan officer. Go to the Ameris Bank website and either:
- Select Mortgage Programs, then select Apply Now, which will prompt you to find a mortgage banker.
- Select Contact, and call the bank to find a loan officer.
- Apply online. Go to the loan officer’s personal web page and select Apply Now.
Note: We encountered a cookie error when attempting to access the online application. No guidance was provided on how to fix the issue.
What types of mortgages can I get through Ameris Bank?
Other mortgage products offered by Ameris Bank
Ameris Bank also offers these specialized types of mortgages.
- Mortgage refinancing. A loan that can be used to lower your interest rate, consolidate debts or pay off expenses.
- Medical professional loans. Provides up to 100% financing for doctors, physician’s assistants, dentists, chiropractors, pharmacists and more. No PMI is required.
- Construction and rehab loans. Get two loans with one application for financing the construction of a new home on your land.
- Extended rate lock loans. Lock your rate for up to 360 days. Available for conforming, FHA, VA and fixed-rate mortgages.
How Ameris Bank’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, Ameris Bank offers a higher than average selection of mortgage types, including specialized loans, government-backed loans and state-sponsored down payment assistance programs. While the bank’s mortgage services come highly rated by past clients, you can only apply for a loan if you live in specific states in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
Disclaimer: The partners on Finder's mortgage comparison tables are sorted in alphabetical order.
Ameris Bank reviews and complaints
As of July 2022, Ameris Bank has a 4.94 out of 5 rating on Zillow from 792 customers, who report being happy with the service, professionalism and communication of their loan officers.
Ameris Bank is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and earns an A+ rating for resolving one complaint registered in the past three years. Customers score it 1 out of 5 stars after 13 reviews.
Pros and cons of Ameris Bank
- Loan selection. Offers a wide range of home loans for a variety of personal circumstances.
- Website clarity. The Ameris Bank website clearly lays out the types of loans and loan programs available.
- Customer ratings. Ameris Bank has positive customer ratings, with borrowers reporting being happy with their loan officers’ services.
- Loan officer required. Ameris Bank requires that you select a loan officer before applying by phone, in person or online.
- Limited availability. Ameris Bank only offers mortgages in AL, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, TN, VA
- Rates and fees not listed. You’ll need to contact the bank or apply for a loan to view your rates.
What is Ameris Bank?
Founded in 1971, Ameris Bank is owned by parent company Ameris Bancorp and is headquartered in Moultrie, Georgia. The company has over $20 billion in assets and 200-plus full-service and mortgage-only physical locations in the Southeast. In 2020, Ameris Bank financed $23 billion in home loans.