Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. mortgage review
This Chicago-based fintech lender offers a wide range of home loans and is highly rated by customers, but it’s not available in Hawaii or Utah.
Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. is the residential mortgage division of Draper and Kramer, with over 125 years of experience in the real estate industry. The company offers a wide selection of home loan options, including a Lender Paid Mortgage Insurance (LPMI) program that doesn’t require PMI on your mortgage, even if your down payment is less than 20%.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, Home Equity/HELOC, Reverse, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Not available in: HI, UT|
Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. requirements
To find out if you meet the requirements for a Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. mortgage, call the company or apply online.
Basic eligibility for a loan with Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. includes:
- Residency in any state except Hawaii or Utah.
- Employment history for the past two years.
- A FICO credit score of at least 620 or higher.
- No history of bankruptcy in the last two years.
While everyone’s situation is different, here’s the basic documentation you’ll need to apply for a mortgage from Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.
- Photo identification
- Social Security card (for FHA loans only)
- Residence information for the last two years
- Your landlord’s contact information, if currently renting
- Employment history for the past two years and, if necessary, a letter to explain gaps
- Most recent 30 days’ pay stubs
- Most recent two years’ W-2 and/or 1099 forms
- Most recent two years’ tax returns (not required in all cases)
- For Social Security or disability recipients, your award letter and a copy of the most recent check
- Most recent two monthly or quarterly account statements for your bank and investment accounts
- Other documentation
If you’re self-employed, you’ll also need:
- Most recent two years’ business federal income tax returns.
- A year-to-date P&L statement and current balance sheet.
Costs and fees
We contacted Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. to request fee information but received no response. However, you can expect to pay around 2% to 5% of your home’s total price in fees, including application, origination and third-party fees.
How to apply for a mortgage with Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.
To apply for a mortgage with Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp., either call the company or start an online application.
Here’s how to start an application on the website.
- Visit the Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. website and select Apply Now. You’ll be asked to enter a loan officer’s name, but you can proceed without one.
- Enter your email. You may be asked to verify it with a code.
- Create an account by entering some information about yourself.
- Authorize a credit check and enter your Social Security number to continue the application. Be aware that this can affect your credit score.
- After completing the application, a loan officer will contact you.
What types of mortgages can I get through Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.?
Other mortgage products offered by Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.
Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. also offers these specialized types of mortgages:
- Mortgage refinancing. With a Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. refinance loan, you can lower your interest rate, shorten your loan’s term, consolidate debts or pay off expenses.
- Renovation loans. A loan that allows you to purchase a fixer-upper or refinance your existing home for remodeling. You have up to six months to complete the renovation project.
- Non-warrantable condos. An option to finance non-warrantable condominiums. If needed, Draper & Kramer can work with your condo development to make it eligible for FHA and Fannie Mae.
- Lender Paid Mortgage Insurance (LPMI) programs. Lets you put down less than 20% on conventional loans without having to purchase private mortgage insurance (PMI).
How Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. offers more types of loans than average, including reverse mortgages and HELOCs. What differentiates Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. from other lenders is the breadth and depth of the company’s real estate experience and its track record of positive customer reviews.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. reviews and complaints
As of August 2021, Draper & Kramer has a 4.98 out of 5 rating on Zillow from over 1,400 customers who report receiving excellent service from their loan officers. Draper & Kramer is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating with only two complaints closed in the past three years — an exceptional track record compared to many other lenders.
Customers report being thrilled with their loan officers’ service and professionalism, as well as their honesty, care and communication. As of this writing, we couldn’t find any major negative feedback, except for a complaint related to an unrefunded appraisal fee.
Pros and cons of Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.
- Customer ratings. Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. consistently gets high ratings from customers, with only a few complaints registered online.
- DK Xpress mobile app. Lets you apply for a loan, send your documents electronically, eSign your forms, check your loan’s status and communicate with your loan officer.
- Homebuyer Privileges Discount Program. Receive discounts from national companies, including savings valued up to $7,500 on moving services, furniture, appliances and more.
- Not available in all states. Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. loans are not available for borrowers in Hawaii or Utah.
- Cost and fees not listed. The Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. website doesn’t include what it charges for origination or application fees.
- Interest rates not listed. The Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. website doesn’t advertise its current interest rates online.
What is Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp.?
Founded in 1893 and headquartered in Chicago, Draper and Kramer Mortgage Corp. is a family-owned company that serves clients nationwide. The company has $300 million in active real estate developments, $1.3 billion in assets under management and $6 billion in annual commercial and residential mortgage loan production.
Kat Aoki is a mortgage writer at Finder. Since 2011, she’s helped consumers make better financial decisions with their home loans, credit cards, insurance and more. As a business writer for the real estate, mortgage and personal finance industries, she’s written hundreds of helpful, informative articles for some of the leading brands around the globe that include iSelect, InfoChoice, realestate.com.au, GE Money and Amex. Kat earned a BS in Marketing from California State University, Sacramento. She enjoys travel, hiking and photography in her spare time.
If you’re looking for a highly-rated, established lender that offers an online application and mobile app, Draper & Kramer Mortgage Corp. could be a good choice. If you’d like to apply, either call the company or start an online application. Because Draper & Kramer doesn’t advertise its current rates online, you may want to call and get prequalified first before doing a full application.