BNC National Bank mortgage review
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5.0
Specializes in loans for first-time homebuyers and veterans, though there’s no online preapproval.
BNC National Bank is one of the nation’s top lenders for VA loans, and offers many other government-backed and conventional loans for homebuyers. Its loan officers offer personal customer service, though its branch locations are limited to just a few states.
What types of mortgages does BNC National Bank offer?
BNC National Bank primarily offers mortgages for new home purchases and refinancing. Within those two categories, there are a number of loan types for a variety of needs.
Fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages are both available with low down payments, and the option to make biweekly payments.
These loans, backed by the US government, allow BNC to offer low mortgages rates to first-time homebuyers and people with poor credit and no down payment.
Loans offered through the Veterans Administration allow active service members, veterans and their spouses to buy a home with no down payment, no PMI and low interest rates.
USDA backed loans are specifically for low-income people in rural areas. Be approved with a credit score of at least 620, and get a break on your down payment and mortgage insurance (PMI).Though USDA loans aren’t specifically mentioned on BNC National Bank’s website, they are available through BNC.
Those with good credit can apply for loans up to $3.5 million.
Other loans offered by BNC National Bank
- Hybrid ARMs. Hybrid adjustable rate mortgages combine features from fixed rates and adjustable rates, such as offering a fixed rate for a shorter period of time, and then switching to an ARM.
- Home refinancing. Refinancing options to lower monthly payments and interest rates.
BNC National Bank fees.
The origination fee is $1,095, although people with good credit might be able to have that reduced.
Depending on the program you apply for, the credit requirements and down payment requirement varies. Other requirements for most applicants will include:
- 18 years or older
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Income verification
- Valid ID, such as a driver’s license, US passport or permanent resident card.
- Pay stubs for the most recent 30-days, and your total income year to date
- W-2 forms or tax returns for the last two years
- Names and addresses of all employers over the last two years
- If there’s a gap in employment, a letter explaining why
- A copy of savings, checking and investment funds
- A full list of all current debts and copies of the last three monthly statements of each
BNC National Bank reviews and complaints
BNC National Bank has 2 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau website, though there are only five reviews on the site and the BBB awards BNC National Bank with an A+ rating.
BNC National Bank has an average rating of 4.67 stars out of 5 on Zillow, based on 1,664 reviews. These positive reviews reflect BNC’s strong online reputation.
Pros and cons of BNC National Bank
BNC National Bank offers a few advantages which help set it apart from its competition.
- Personalized service. Get access to the same loan officer through the entire mortgage process. One loan officer is typically assigned to each person for the entire process, allowing them to customize a mortgage that suits your needs.
- Expertise with VA loans. While BNC National Bank offers all types of government-backed loans, VA loans make up nearly half of its home loans.
- Low down payments. Not all banks allow down payments of less than 15%, but BNC National Bank will work with as little as 3% upfront.
- Nonprimary homes. If you’re buying a secondary or vacation home, you can still apply for a mortgage through BNC.
Consider these negative points before deciding on a mortgage with BNC National Bank.
- No online preapproval. This lender offers online prequalification to show you what you can afford. However BNC National Bank manually reviews each application before and sends out a letter of approval.
- Limited branch locations. Branches located in the central states of Arizona, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, and North Dakota, though it does offer loans across the country.
- Undisclosed interest rates. While the bank seems to offer competitive interest rates, it doesn’t advertise them on its website. You’ll need to submit your information for a personalized quote to see what rates you qualify for.
Compare mortgage lendersCompare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
How to get a home loan with BNC National Bank
To see if you prequalify for a home loan:
- Visit BNC National Bank’s website and go to Get a Free Quote.
- Enter the appropriate information, which includes
- Type of loan
- Credit history
- Loan amount
- Property value
- Contact information
- Submit the information and a loan officer will contact you shortly to discuss your options.
To apply for a home loan:
- Visit BNC National Bank’s website and click Apply Online.
- Select a loan officer and click Get Started Now!.
- Register by providing your name, email address, phone number and create a password.
- Proceed through the online application process.
What is BNC National Bank?
BNC National Bank is a full service bank that is headquartered in Bismarck, North Dakota, with its mortgage division based out of Overland Park, Kansas.
In addition to mortgage lending, it offers community banking and wealth management services, although some of its branch locations only service mortgages.
BNC National Bank is primarily known for two things: As a top VA mortgage lender and its customer service. It’s been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2013 and has an A+ rating.
Generally, BNC National Bank has positive online reviews, although there are some negative reviews for customer service on the BBB’s website.
Frequently asked questions.
Home loans ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top home loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, product selection and borrower experience.
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
BNC National Bank is a top VA lender, best for veterans and service members who can qualify. It boasts a strong track record of personalized customer service, but if you prefer working with a loan officer in person, you may want to consider another lender.