Neat Capital mortgage review
This fintech lender claims it can help you close up to three times faster than average, but it’s currently available in only a handful of states.
Neat Capital is a fintech mortgage lender that specializes in unique situations, jumbo loans and loans for the self-employed. It works directly with homebuyers, helping them with residential mortgages, first mortgages and refinances. The lender leverages Finicity’s open banking platform to help provide faster decisions and less back and forth while your loan is being underwritten.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|State availability||Only available in: CA, CO, CT, DC, NM, TX, WA|
Neat Capital requirements
To find out if you meet the requirements for a Neat Capital home loan, you’ll want to get preapproved online or speak with a loan officer. Basic eligibility for a loan with Neat Capital includes the following:
- Residency in California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, New Mexico, Texas or Washington.
- Two years’ history of employment.
- A FICO credit score of at least 620 or higher.
- No history of bankruptcy for at least two years.
- While assets are not a specific requirement, it depends on the loan.
While everyone’s situation is different, here’s the basic documentation you’ll need to apply for a mortgage from Neat Capital.
For employed persons:
- Personal identification.
- 30 days of your most recent pay stubs.
- Most recent two years’ W2s.
- Most recent 60 days’ assets (checking/savings accounts), if required.
- Homeowner’s insurance quote (while optional, it’s good to have this at the time of application).
- Most recent mortgage statement (for refinance loans).
For self-employed persons:
- Personal identification.
- Most recent two years’ tax returns (1040s).
- A year-to date P&L and balance sheet.
- Bank statements showing revenue for the last two months (at minimum).
- Business license.
- Personal identification.
- Most recent two years’ 1120 tax returns.
- Most recent two years’ 1040 tax returns.
- Most recent two years’ Schedule K-1.
- A year-to-date P&L and balance sheet.
- Bank statements showing business deposits for the last two months (at minimum).
Costs and fees
Neat Capital charges an underwriting fee of $995. In addition, you’ll also be required to pay third-party fees, including title and escrow, appraisal and other fees.
How to apply for a mortgage with Neat Capital
Apply for a Neat Capital mortgage with an instant preapproval that includes a soft credit check. Follow these steps:
- Visit the Neat Capital website.
- Choose the Get Pre-Approved in 3 Minutes button.
- Provide the six pieces of required information.
- Receive and download your preapproval letter if you prequalify.
If you are preapproved, Neat Capital invites you to apply for a loan either through its website or wait for a loan officer to contact you. Once you submit a full application, the company will run it through the system to verify your assets for later review by the underwriting department.
Neat Capital also offers a Platinum approval, where your application is reviewed by an underwriter and you’re given an official approval to make a cash-like offer in as little as 48 hours. It also guarantees up to $10,000 of your earnest money if the transaction falls through.
What types of mortgages can I get through Neat Capital?
Other mortgage products offered by Neat Capital
Neat Capital also offers these specialized types of mortgages:
- Mortgage refinancing. Neat Capital offers refinance loans that can be used to lower your interest rate, shorten the loan’s term, consolidate other debts or pay off expenses.
How Neat Capital’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, Neat Capital offers a standard range of loans, including conventional and government-backed loans. What makes Neat Capital different is its ability to process applications faster, software integrations that can verify assets electronically and its Platinum preapproval process to help you compete with all-cash offers.
Compare mortgage lenders and brokersCompare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
Neat Capital reviews and complaints
As of January 2021, Neat Capital has a 4.82 out of 5 rating on Zillow from a small number of customers, most of whom report positive experiences with the company. While Neat Capital is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), it has an A + rating with zero complaints registered in the last three years.
Customers report being thrilled with the service and expertise of their loan officers, as well as the company’s ability to integrate with financial systems for faster data gathering. As of this writing, we could not find any major negative feedback from customers except for one complaining of a slow application.
Pros and cons of Neat Capital
- Quick preapproval. Neat Capital claims to have a three-minute preapproval application that does a soft credit pull only.
- Platinum application. Lets you know if your loan is approved in as little as two days, allowing you to make cash-like offers. Backs up to $10,000 of your earnest money if the transaction falls through.
- Earn $100. If you upload your files in the first 24 hours of starting your application, you’ll earn $100.
- Limited availability. Only available in CA, CO, CT, DC, NM, TX and WA.
- Lacks details. The Neat Capital website doesn’t list loan types, fees or eligibility requirements.
- Login credentials for sensitive accounts required. The Finicity system requires login credentials. However, your credentials are not accessible to Neat Capital.
What is Neat Capital?
Founded in 2015, Neat Capital is a Boulder, Colorado-based fintech lender built to help borrowers compete with all-cash offers. In January 2021, the company closed on $22.5 million in Series B funding, which it will use to make its platform more scalable and to add new distribution sources and features to improve its customer-facing interfaces, according to National Mortgage News.
Frequently asked questions
How do I contact Neat Capital support?
If you have questions for Neat Capital, you can get help by phone, email or social media.
- Phone: 888-210-5232
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: @neatcapital
Is it better to apply for a loan through the website or work with a loan officer?
Neat Capital recommends getting a soft prequalification first and then calling the company to find a loan officer to work with.
How will applying for a prequalification affect my credit score?
Neat Capital performs a soft credit pull to check if your income and assets qualify for a loan before submitting the application. It doesn’t affect your score. If you have any questions, contact a loan officer.
Kat Aoki is a mortgage writer at Finder. Since 2011, she’s helped consumers make better financial decisions with their home loans, credit cards, insurance and more. As a business writer for the real estate, mortgage and personal finance industries, she’s written hundreds of helpful, informative articles for some of the leading brands around the globe that include iSelect, InfoChoice, realestate.com.au, GE Money and Amex. Kat earned a BS in Marketing from California State University, Sacramento. She enjoys travel, hiking and photography in her spare time.
If you’re looking for a faster application and underwriting process that eliminates a lot of back and forth, Neat Capital could be a good choice. The company strives to provide quicker preapprovals, including its Platinum application, which after being approved by underwriting, is as good as an all-cash offer.
If you’re interested in working with this lender, you can start by getting a soft preapproval on its website and then compare rates with other lenders. Then you can work with Neat Capital to secure the best rate for your credit score and situation.