Mortgage Investors Group review
This lender offers a wide range of first-time homebuyer programs and refinance mortgages, but it’s only available in the Southeast and Midwest.
Mortgage Investors Group (MIG) is a direct mortgage lender that offers in-house processing and is willing to work with bad credit. But unless you live in select states in the Southeast or Midwest, you won’t be able to apply.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, Home Equity/HELOC, Reverse, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Only available in: AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, MO, MS, NC, SC, TN|
Mortgage Investors Group requirements
To apply for a loan, contact the company or start an online application from the website.
Basic eligibility for a Mortgage Investors Group loan includes:
- Residency in eligible states.
- Two years’ history of employment.
- No history of bankruptcy for at least two years.
Here’s a list of Mortgage Investors Group’s standard documentation requirements for all borrowers.
- Copy of your driver’s license and Social Security card
- Paycheck stubs for the most recent 30 days
- Employment history for the last two years
- W-2s and tax returns from the past two years
- Checking and saving account statements for the last two months
- Copies of quarterly or semi-annual statements for investment accounts
- Residence history for the past two years. For renters, including landlord’s contact information
- Refinance Copy of Note, Deed of Trust, Settlement Statement, Survey, and Insurance information
- Copy of a signed sales contract, if available
- Other documentation
Costs and fees
While not listed online, you can expect to pay about 2% to 5% of your home’s total price in fees, including application, origination and third-party fees.
How to apply for a mortgage with Mortgage Investors Group
To apply for a mortgage with Mortgage Investors Group, either call the company or start an online application. To start an online application, here’s what you need to do.
- Visit the Mortgage Investors Group website.
- Select Apply Now from the top of the homepage.
- Answer No when asked if you’re working with a loan officer.
- Enter your name and contact details and select Next.
- Wait to be directed to a new site.
- Provide the information required to complete the application, including your Social Security number.
- Wait up to 24 hours to receive a personalized rate quote.
What types of mortgages can I get through Mortgage Investors Group?
Other mortgage products offered by Mortgage Investors Group
Mortgage Investors Group also offers these specialized types of mortgages:
- Mortgage refinancing. Pay off your old loan and replace it with a new loan to reduce your interest rate, lower your mortgage payment or get rid of PMI.
- Home Court Advantage Loan. Offers up to 97% of value on first mortgages, plus additional financing of up to 105% of value.
- Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA) Loan. Offers down payment assistance to low-income, first-time homebuyers in Tennessee.
- Georgia Dream Loan. Provides more affordable financing options and down payment assistance to eligible buyers in Georgia.
- FHA Streamline Loan. Allows FHA homeowners refinance to a lower rate with minimal documentation requirements.
Note: MIG lists the Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) on its website, but this program ended on December 31, 2018.
How Mortgage Investors Group’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, Mortgage Investors Group offers an above-average selection of mortgage types, including first-time and state-specific homebuyer programs and mortgage refinancing. While the bank has great ratings from past customers, the online application feels overly cumbersome, and a rate quote can take up to 24 hours to receive.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Mortgage Investors Group reviews and complaints
As of April 2022, Mortgage Investors Group has a 4.97 out of 5 rating on Zillow from nearly 2,600 customers, who report being thrilled with the helpfulness, efficiency and communication of their loan officers. Mortgage Investors Group is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has had only one complaint registered in the past three years.
Pros and cons of Mortgage Investors Group
- Loan selection. MIG has an above-average number of home loans for both experienced and first-time homebuyers, including a range of low-income buyer programs.
- Willing to work with bad credit. The company will ask for written explanations about negative credit, giving you a chance to explain your financial situation, especially if the problems were temporary.
- Customer reviews. The company has positive customer reviews from thousands of customers who report being happy with the service provided.
- Limited state availability. MIG is only available in AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, MO, MS, NC, SC and TN.
- No fast prequalification. Unlike other lenders, MIG doesn’t offer a streamlined online prequalification process. Instead, you’re forced to fill out a lengthy application and wait up to 24 hours for a rate quote.
- Rates and fees not listed. The MIG website doesn’t advertise its current rates or fees. You must fill out the online application or call a loan officer for information.
What is Mortgage Investors Group?
Founded in 1989, Mortgage Investors Group (MIG) helps borrowers in the Southeast and Midwest achieve their goals of homeownership. The company offers on-site underwriting, processing and appraisal services and has nearly 400 employees in 29 branch locations across 10 states. Since 2003, MIG has been the Tennessee Housing Development Agency’s (THDA) top lender.
Kat Aoki is a writer at Finder focusing on cryptocurrency, mortgages and personal finance products. Since 2011, she’s written hundreds of thoughtful and informative articles to help consumers make better decisions with their money. She’s well versed in working with leading brands in the finance and mortgage industry, including AMEX, Citibank and RealEstate.com.au. She earned a BS in Business Administration and Marketing from California State University and enjoys travel, hiking and yoga in her spare time.
If you prefer a lender with a range of first-time homebuyer programs and excellent customer reviews, Mortgage Investors Group may be worth considering. However, the company doesn’t advertise its rates or fees online. And you must fill out a lengthy application online to get a rate quote, which can take up to a day to receive. We recommend calling the company to speak with a loan officer for possibly faster service.