United Wholesale Mortgage review
This wholesale mortgage lender offers some of the lowest rates in the country, but it will require you to work with an independent mortgage broker to get a loan.
United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) is a wholesale mortgage lender offering conventional and government-backed loans with rates as low as 1.99% as of February 2021. As a wholesaler, the company doesn’t offer consumer-direct loans. If you want a loan through UWM, you’ll need to find a mortgage broker who is approved to work with UWM and can help you apply for a loan.
Our take on United Wholesale Mortgage
If you’re looking for a highly rated mortgage lender that offers some of the lowest rates in the nation, United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) may be worth considering. However, you can’t apply for a loan directly from the company.
Instead, you have to find a mortgage broker that’s approved to work with UWM. Your broker acts as the middleman between you and UWM, providing you with information about your home loan options and costs while walking you through the application process. However, after your loan closes, UWM becomes your loan servicer to where you make your payments.
The good news is, it’s easy to find a broker that works with UWM. Either visit the UWM website or visit findamortgagebroker.com. Don’t expect to get much information about loans, costs and fees by calling UWM directly.
United Wholesale Mortgage requirements
To find out if you’re eligible for a UWM loan, find a mortgage broker that partners with this company.
Basic eligibility for a United Wholesale Mortgage loan includes:
- Two years’ history of employment.
- A FICO credit score of 620 or higher.
- No history of bankruptcy for at least two years.
While everyone’s situation is unique, here’s a list of the standard documentation requirements for most borrowers.
- Personal identification
- Pay stubs for the most recent 30 days
- Bank statements from the past two months
- Completed tax returns and W-2s from the last two years
- Employment verification contact information
- Property and insurance documentation
Costs and fees are not charged directly to borrowers
As a loan wholesaler, United Wholesale Mortgage doesn’t charge fees directly to borrowers. Instead, you pay a commission to your mortgage broker for their services, which can range anywhere from .5% to 2% of your loan’s total amount.
The best way to find out how much you’ll be charged is to contact a broker directly. A customer service representative at United Wholesale Mortgage told us to visit findamortgagebroker.com to find a broker licensed to work with UWM.
In addition to the broker commission, expect to pay about 2% to 5% of your loan’s total amount in closing costs, depending on the state you’re in.
Closing costs typically include:
- Credit report.
- Home inspection.
- Private mortgage insurance (PMI).
- Homeowner’s insurance.
- Attorney’s fees.
- Title insurance.
- Escrow fees.
- Recording fees.
You can view all fees on your loan disclosure through your broker if you have any questions about what you’re being charged.
How to apply for a mortgage with United Wholesale Mortgage
To apply for a mortgage with United Wholesale Mortgage, you’ll need to work with a mortgage broker that partners with the company. Either visit the findamortgagebroker.com website or go to the UWM website and look up a broker from there.
To find a mortgage broker from the UWM website:
- Go to the United Wholesale Mortgage website.
- Select About Us, then choose Find a Mortgage Broker. This will take you to the findamortgagebroker.com website.
- Enter your ZIP code, city or address to search for available brokers.
- Choose a broker from the list to view their contact information.
What types of mortgages can I get through United Wholesale Mortgage?
Other mortgage products offered by United Wholesale Mortgage
United Wholesale Mortgage also offers these specialized types of mortgages.
- Conquest program. This is an exclusive program that helps borrowers lock in rates as low as 1.99% on conventional mortgages, mortgage refinancing, and FHA and VA loans. It’s available for borrowers who haven’t closed a loan with UWM in the past 18 months.
How United Wholesale Mortgage’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, United Wholesale Mortgage offers a basic selection of mortgage types, including conventional and government-backed loans. What makes United Wholesale Mortgage different is its Conquest program, which offers extremely competitive rates as low as 1.99% as of February 2021 on purchase loans and mortgage refinancing for eligible borrowers.
Compare mortgage lenders and brokersCompare these lenders and lender marketplaces by the type of home loan you're searching for, state availability and minimum credit score (for a conventional loan). Select See rates to provide the company with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
UWM customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive
As of July 2021, UWM has garnered nearly 2,000 Google reviews and a 4.6 out 5 rating from both mortgage brokers and customers, who praise the company for its ease of service, professionalism and faster-than-average underwriting and closing times.
However, not everyone has had a great experience. A few customers complained of escrow funds not being released in a timely manner, insurance payment issues and long wait times on the phone for loan servicing.
UWM has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2018 and has an A+ business rating, a 3.35 out of 5 rating from 312 customers and 45 complaints closed in the past three years. Given the number of loans that UWM processes, this is a relatively small number of complaints compared to other lenders.
Pros and cons of United Wholesale Mortgage
- Conquest program. Offers some of the lowest interest rates in the country for FHA and VA loans, conventional loans and mortgage refinancing.
- Faster than average close times. UWM averages 14 days or less from application submission to closing, which is significantly faster than the industry average of 47 days
- Make payments online. If UWM services your loan after closing, you can make payments online through its website portal.
- Must use a broker. To apply for a UWM loan, you must work with a broker and pay a broker’s commission.
- May need to buy discount points. Lower rates may only be available with the purchase of discount points at closing.
- Customer complaints. UWM has a 3.56 out of 5 rating on BBB, with 33 complaints closed in the past three years.
What is United Wholesale Mortgage?
Founded in 1986, United Wholesale Mortgage is the largest wholesale lender in the country with nearly 7,000 team members nationwide. The company is headquartered in Pontiac, Michigan, and offers mortgages in all 50 states, plus the District of Columbia. In January 2021, UWM went public by merging with Gores Holding in a deal worth $16.1 billion.