North American Savings Bank review
Offers competitive rates and a wide range of loans with alternative lending criteria, but you won’t find many branches to choose from.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
★★★★★North American Savings Bank offers an impressive range of home loans and considers alternative lending criteria and income sources. But there aren’t any branches outside of the Kansas City, Missouri area.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, Home Equity/HELOC, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Available in all states|
North American Savings Bank requirements
To find out if you meet the requirements for an NASB home loan, call the bank or get preapproved online. Basic eligibility for a home loan with North American Savings Bank includes:
- Proof of employment for at least two years
- No history of bankruptcy in the past three years
- No history of a short sale or foreclosure in the past six years
Requirements vary by loan product. For more information, contact a NASB loan officer on 855-921-4921.
Personal and financial details required to apply for a mortgage from North American Savings Bank include:
- Driver’s license or passport
- The last two years’ W-2s, tax returns and your most recent pay stubs
- Employment verification
- A credit history report
- Other documentation as requested
Costs and fees
When taking out a mortgage with NASB, you’ll need to pay:
- Origination fee. Expect to pay a $995 origination fee on all loans except VA loans. Depending on the loan terms, some home loans are eligible to get this amount credited back.
How to apply for a mortgage with North American Savings Bank
To get started with a home loan from North American Savings Bank:
- Go to the NASB website and select Apply Now, then choose Mortgage.
- Enter your name and email and choose a username and password to set up a new account.
- Provide your contact information, current address and housing information, personal information and coborrower information, if any.
- Select if you’re looking for a preapproval, home purchase or refinance and choose the type of loan you want and the loan terms.
- Enter the property location and purchase price and the source of your down payment.
- Provide information about your employment, income and assets.
- Answer the financial declarations and demographic questions (optional).
- Enter your Social Security number and authorize the company to do a credit check (optional).
- Wait for a loan officer to contact you about the next steps.
Alternatively, you can call NASB to speak with a loan officer and learn more about the products on offer or to apply.
What types of mortgages can I get through North American Savings Bank?
Other mortgage products offered by North American Savings Bank
North American Savings Bank also offers these specialized types of mortgages:
- FLEX loan. This lower-than-20%-down option considers nontraditional income sources for those with a previous bankruptcy or foreclosure.
- Nonconforming loan. Offers personalized loan criteria and more flexible underwriting guidelines for those with previous credit issues.
- Bank statement loan. Borrow up to $1 million without the need for tax returns. Ideal for self-employed borrowers who prefer to show bank statements.
- Portfolio loan. Looks at all income streams and offers less restrictive credit guidelines.
- Bridge loan. Allows you to buy a new house before you sell your old one.
- IRA lending. A unique financing program that facilitates the purchase of a property with a real estate IRA.
- Mortgage programs. Choose from the Home Buying Advantage, Good Neighbor Program, Zero Down Home Loan Program or RateSecure Program.
- Mortgage refinance. Choose from cash-out refinancing, rate and term refinancing or VA refinancing. Can be used to lower your rate, change your term or get cash out.
How North American Savings Bank’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Compared to other lenders, NASB offers a much higher-than-average number of home loan products and programs. These include multiple home loan options that consider alternative lending criteria and income sources for people who are self-employed, or alternatively, have less-than-stellar credit.
Compare mortgage lenders and brokersCompare these lenders and lender marketplaces by the type of home loan you're searching for, state availability and minimum credit score (for a conventional loan). Select See rates to provide the company with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
North American Savings Bank reviews and complaints
As of April 2021, North American Savings Bank has a 5 out of 5 rating on Zillow from nearly 1,200 customers. NASB has been accredited with the BBB since 2008 and has an A+ business rating, with eight complaints closed in the past three years.
Customers report being thrilled with the professionalism, trustworthiness and responsiveness of their loan officers, some of whom answered calls during off-hours. The small number of customer complaints on the BBB website mostly center around payment billing errors.
Pros and cons of North American Savings Bank
- Portfolio loans. Because NASB can keep certain types of loans in-house, it can help borrowers who can’t find a home loan elsewhere.
- Low fees. This lender offers a flat-rate origination fee that’s lower than many lenders and can be waived depending on the borrower’s circumstances.
- User-friendly application. The NASB application is straightforward, and you’re not required to do a hard credit check if you don’t want to.
- Mortgage rates not advertised. You won’t know your potential rate until you fill out the prequalification form.
- No online application tracking. NASB lets you open an online account to submit your documents, but you can’t track your application process.
- Loans may be sold. While some loans are funded in-house, other loans are sold after closing. Some borrowers may find this inconvenient.
What is North American Savings Bank?
Founded in 1927, NASB is headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri and has current assets totaling more than $2 billion. NASB is a full-service bank offering checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, home loans and commercial loans. NASB has branches in Grandview, Lee’s Summit, Independence, Harrisonville, Kansas City, Platte City, Excelsior Springs, St. Joseph, Lexington and Odessa, Missouri.
Kat Aoki is a mortgage writer at Finder. Since 2011, she’s helped consumers make better financial decisions with their home loans, credit cards, insurance and more. As a business writer for the real estate, mortgage and personal finance industries, she’s written hundreds of helpful, informative articles for some of the leading brands around the globe that include iSelect, InfoChoice, realestate.com.au, GE Money and Amex. Kat earned a BS in Marketing from California State University, Sacramento. She enjoys travel, hiking and photography in her spare time.
Expert reviewNorth American Savings Bank may be a great option for self-employed borrowers and those with bad credit who can’t find funding anywhere else. Most customers have great things to say online about NASB, praising the individual attention they received from their loan officers. We also spoke with a loan officer and were provided with straightforward and helpful answers to our questions.
But the company’s interest rates and fees aren’t listed online, and you won’t know your available rates until you fill out a prequalification form online. However, doing a hard credit check is optional, giving you a choice on how you want to proceed with the application.