Huntington National Bank mortgage review
A regional bank with a variety of loan options and programs, but no online preapproval.
Huntington National Bank is a midwestern regional bank that offers most standard loans, as well as some specialized loans and services to help keep your mortgage costs down. But you must speak to a loan officer in person or over the phone for fees and rates.
Huntington doesn’t state minimum credit requirements, but 620 is the minimum credit score required by most lenders for a conventional loan.
Minimum credit score
Only available in: IL, IN, KY, MI, OH, PA, WV
|Loan products offered
|Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, Home Equity/HELOC, Refinance
|Minimum credit score
|Huntington doesn’t state minimum credit requirements, but 620 is the minimum credit score required by most lenders for a conventional loan.
|Only available in: IL, IN, KY, MI, OH, PA, WV
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder, specializing in home and personal loans. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing and analysis has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed, among other top media. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She earned a BA in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Huntington National may be an attractive option to borrowers who like the idea of a smaller regional bank but want to choose from a variety of loan types. The bank has some great online educational tools, but the rate quote and preapproval tools are really just contact forms that make you wait for a call back from a loan officer to get any personalized information. Borrowers looking to do more research online or who live outside the bank’s seven-state footprint will want to shop around to find a better fit.
Huntington National Bank requirements
This bank doesn’t reveal its loan requirements until you apply, but your interest rate is based on your down payment, credit score, the loan-to-value ratio of the property, property type and occupancy, and other factors relating to your personal financial situation.
To start the application process, you need the following documentation:
- The sales contract for the property signed by buyers and sellers, if available
- Social Security numbers for all applicants
- Residential and employment information for the last two years, or two years of tax returns if you’re self-employed, plus a profit and loss statement
- W-2 forms for the past two years
- Most recent pay stub with year-to-date information
- Bank and account information on all outstanding loans
- Bank and account information on all accounts, including investment and retirement accounts, including statements for the most recent three months
- Child support and alimony documentation, if applicable
- VA certificate of eligibility, if applicable
- Information about any rental properties you own, if applicable
- A copy of your lease, if applicable
- Bankruptcy petition and discharge, if you’ve filed in the last seven years
Costs and fees
Huntington doesn’t list all its fees, but you can expect to pay:
- an application fee on most loans
- appraisal and title fees
- other closing costs, which include:
- origination fees
- broker fees
- rate-lock fees
- processing fees
You are also required to pay state taxes and provide insurance for the property.
How to apply for a mortgage with Huntington National Bank
This bank doesn’t allow online applications, but you can fill out a form to get a mortgage rate and monthly payment quote from a loan officer. This quote can be personalized if you allow the bank to check your credit report.
To get a quote, follow these steps.
- Visit the Huntington Bank website. Select the Borrowing tab and then select Mortgage 101: Our Tips & Tools.
- Scroll down and select Get a Quote. Then select Get Purchase Quote.
- Enter your personal information.
- Enter information about the property or the loan type.
- Enter verification information and select whether you want to include your credit report.
- Select Submit.
A Huntington National loan officer should contact you within 24 hours to walk you through the results.
You can also start the preapproval process on the website in a few quick steps.
- Go to Huntington Bank’s home page and select Personal.
- Select Mortgage Pre-Approval.
- Select Get Started.
- Fill in the inquiry form.
Again, expect a Huntington Bank loan officer to contact you within 24 hours to complete the process.
What types of mortgages can I get through Huntington National Bank?
Other mortgage products offered by Huntington National
Huntington offers additional home loans, some specialized and others to help take advantage of your home’s equity:
- Home equity loans. Use your equity to renovate and improve your home’s value with flexible terms and discounts that include no application fee.
- HELOCs. Huntington offers fixed rates and 10 years of access on their home equity line of credit (HELOC), which taps into your equity without taking out a conventional loan.
- Mortgage refinance loans. Reduce your monthly payments or cash out your equity with waived application fees and discounts on closing costs.
- Doctor loans. Medical professionals can get home loans with no down payment, no mortgage insurance and no prepayment penalties.
- Construction loans. When financing a new-home build, Huntington allows you to have one closing for both your construction and permanent mortgage loan, which can save you money in closing costs. You can also take advantage of their “float down” option and snag a better interest rate during the loan’s lock period.
- Home improvement loans. Combine your purchase or finance loan with a home improvement loan for up to $250,000, as long as your improvements increase your home’s value.
How Huntington National Bank’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Huntington offers all the standard mortgage purchase and refinance options typical of most banks. And while the lender doesn’t specify their credit or down payment requirements up front, the terms and rates seem to be in line with similar banks of its size. But Huntington provides a few special programs and services not widely available, such as:
- Relocation services. Huntington offers special options for employees who are relocating for work, by billing the company directly for closing costs, waiving PMI for borrowers who have a 10% down payment and expanded debt-to-income ratios.
- Down payment assistance. This lender works with state bond programs in the states it services to help with your down payment.
- Discount for nurses. Licensed medical nurses get $500 off their closing costs.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
Disclaimer: The partners on Finder's mortgage comparison tables are sorted in alphabetical order.
Huntington National Bank reviews and complaints
Huntington National Bank has been accredited with the BBB since 1921 and, as of July 2022, has an A+ rating. The bank has closed 1,050 official complaints in the last three years, with 432 closed in the last 12 months.
Because of the bank’s size, there aren’t many customer reviews outside of the BBB, which has 277 reviews and a rating barely over 1 star. Customers mostly complain of customer service issues, such as difficulty getting answers from representatives and not being able to speak to managers or other higher-ups directly, who are also slow to respond to email.
Pros and cons of Huntington National Bank
- Free calculators and learning tools. Huntington’s website has an extensive library of mortgage information as well as calculators and checklists to make sure you know what to expect and how to make decisions about the best loan for you.
- Variety of loan options and programs. In addition to the typical loan products, Huntington National offers specialty loans and programs to help you relocate or help with the upfront costs of a mortgage loan.
- Financially stable. The bank has been in operation for over 150 years and currently holds $118 billion in assets.
- Limited availability. Huntington National loans are only offered within the bank’s seven-state footprint.
- No online quotes. While the bank has Get a Quote Now buttons on almost every loan page, the tool is really only a glorified contact form to put you in touch with a loan officer.
What is Huntington National Bank?
Huntington National Bank is a full-service regional bank with over 800 branches in seven states, including Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The bank has been in operation for over 150 years and is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio.
Community benefits plan
In June 2021, Huntington announced its plan to invest $40 billion into the communities it services. The Community Plan places an emphasis on helping marginalized people in the community—including people of color, women and veterans—and includes $2 billion for small businesses, $12 billion to help improve homeownership and $2 billion for community improvement and social equity.
Frequently asked questions
How do I contact Huntington National Bank customer service?
The mortgage customer service center is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. EST. You can use one of the following options to contact a representative:
- By phone at 800-323-4695.
- By automated assistant on the website.
- By email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Using social media through Facebook direct message or @askhuntington on Twitter
- By mail at Mortgage Customer Service Attn: GW1N09 5555 Cleveland Ave, Columbus, OH 43231.
- Directly, at your local bank branch.
What other types of loans does Huntington National offer?
In addition to mortgage loans, Huntington National also offers a range of personal and auto loans.