New American Funding mortgage review
A family-owned lender with a variety of mortgage types, but no online preapproval.
finder.com’s rating: 3.7 / 5.0
New American Funding offers a simple application process and breadth of mortgage options, though you’ll need to feel comfortable getting a quote over the phone instead of online.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, HELOC, Reverse, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Not available in: HI|
New American Funding requirements
Basic eligibility for a traditional mortgage includes:
- Two years of continuous employment.
- A FICO credit score of 620 or higher.
- No history of bankruptcy for at least two years.
- Listed assets in your bank account for at least 60 days.
To learn whether you qualify for a specific loan, request a quote online or directly speak with a lender. A representative can help narrow down an option that best meets your needs.
To request a quote online, you’ll provide basic personal information and your potential loan requirements. After a licensed loan professional contacts you, you’ll likely need to provide documentation as:
- Bank statements.
- Proof of stated assets.
- Tax documents.
- Pay stubs or W-2s to prove your income.
- Government-issued ID.
- Your housing or renting history.
- Proof of any gifted funds.
Costs and fees
This lender doesn’t disclose its fees online. If you’re considering a mortgage with New American Funding, talk with your loan officer about what fees you’ll need to pay before signing anything to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Common fees associated with a new mortgage include these:
- Application fee
- Origination fee
- Underwriting fee
- Rate lock fee
- Ongoing fees
- Third-party fees
How to apply for a mortgage with New American Funding
Start by requesting a quote from the lender’s website.
- Go to the New American Funding website and select Buy a House.
- Step through the prompts and enter information about the loan you’re interested in and the kind of property you want.
- Answer questions about the loan amounts and where you want to buy.
- Enter your personal history and contact information, then select Submit.
- Wait to be contacted by New American Funding with a quote and next steps to review your assets, debt-to-income ratio and credit history to determine your eligibility.
What types of mortgages can I get through New American Funding?We are currently verifying if this company offers mortgage refinancing services.
Other mortgage products available at New American Funding
New American also offers the following additional home loan products:
- Mortgage refinance. Change the terms of your loan, pay down your principal with a lump sum, or cash-out on your home’s equity using a refinance loan with New American Funding.
- Reverse. Qualifying homeowners over age 62 may be able to tap into their home’s equity with a reverse mortgage to supplement their retirement.
- Buydown loan. This option allows you to pay “points” up front to reduce your interest rate and lower your monthly payments for the first one to three years.
- FHA 203k. If you need to renovate a home you own or plan to buy, an FHA 203K loan can help you finance the cost.
- HELOC. A home equity line of credit (HELOC) lets you draw from the equity in your home over a set period, paying only interest until the repayment period.
- Nonqualifying. A nonqualifying mortgage, or non-QM, can help self-employed borrowers purchase a home by allowing alternate documentation for proof of income and credit history.
- I Can mortgage. This option allows you to customize your loan’s terms, choosing a payment that works for you and the term that fits that payment, between eight and 30 years.
- Interest-only loan. If your income is going to increase in the next few years, an interest-only home loan can help you buy a house sooner.
Alternatives to New American Funding mortgages
With so many options to choose from, New American Funding may seem like it offers something for everyone. But if you’re interested in a particular type of mortgage, you may consider a lender that specializes in that loan. For example, Veterans United mostly works with borrowers seeking a VA loan or refinance and knows all the nuances of the system.
And if you’re concerned about New American’s lack of transparency when it comes to closing costs or you’re more comfortable with a fully online process, you may want to look into Better, a lender that doesn’t charge origination fees and has a streamlined digital application.
Shopping your options is the best way to make sure you’re finding the lender that’s right for you. Select See rates below to visit the lender’s website for a personalized quote.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
New American Funding reviews and complaints
As of July 2021, New American Funding’s online reviews are pretty positive. The lender is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating for closing 114 customer complaints over the last three years. It also has 280 customer reviews, averaging 3.36 out of 5 stars.
Trustpilot has only 38 reviews but has earned a TrustScore of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Both positive and negative reviews tend to focus on individual loan officers. While some customers worked with loan officers who helped them through the process and explained everything clearly, other customers were frustrated with loan officers who were difficult to get in touch with, didn’t listen and took significantly longer than expected.
New American Funding pros and cons
Consider the good and the bad for this lender.
- Manual underwriting. A person determines your eligibility, not a computer, which could help freelancers and self-employed individuals.
- Online flexibility. Submit required documents, track your loan’s status and make payments online.
- Customizable loan options. Among American Funding’s options, you can find options that allow you to customize your loan term, pay points to adjust your mortgage payment or pay only interest for a set number of years.
- Undisclosed fees. The full range of fees you’ll face isn’t disclosed beforehand, making it hard to know how much you’ll pay out of pocket.
- No online preapproval or automatic quote. You’ll need to feel comfortable talking details with a lender over the phone after completing the brief online application.
What is New American Funding?
New American Funding was founded in 1999 by a husband and wife team in Tustin, California. Today, that couple services a portfolio of more than 197,000 loans across 186 branches in 32 states. And in 2021, it ranked among the top mortgage lenders for the ninth consecutive year by Scotsman Guide’s Top Mortgage Lenders list.
Amy Stoltenberg is a staff writer covering all things travel, shopping and lifestyle. After earning a BA at Savannah College of Art and Design, she worked as technical designer in corporate fashion before opting for a career with unlimited travel time. When her laptop's closed, you can find her wandering around Los Angeles looking for hole-in-the-wall eateries and plotting her way to all 50 states (she's currently at 28).
New American Funding offers a suite of loans for mortgages and refinancing. If you’re looking for a government-backed loan for low down payments and need flexible lending requirements, it offers USDA, FHA and VA loans.
But there’s no online preapproval, so you need to be comfortable handling the application over the phone. And if you live in Hawaii, you’ll need to compare other mortgage options to find the best fit for your needs.