We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Ferrari California car insurance rates
What to expect when insuring your Ferrari California
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Though it’s no doubt expensive to insure, the Ferrari California was built to last and owners attest to its reliability. You’ll also receive an extensive maintenance plan to keep this luxury convertible on the road longer.
- Rewards for safe drivers
- Basic to comprehensive
- Your own dedicated agent
Our top pick: Allstate
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
- Rewards for safe drivers, good students and more
- Get your own dedicated insurance agent
Compare car insurance for your Ferrari California
How much does Ferrari California car insurance cost?
The average insurance rate for the Ferrari California is $648 per month, or $7,776 per year. The national average sits far lower at $1,426 per year, making this car a whopping $6,350 higher to insure.
Ferrari car insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car Price|
|Berlinetta F12 & TDF||$1,015||$319,995|
How do I compare insurance for the Ferrari California?
Once the warranty wears off, this convertible may need extra coverage for its relatively high-priced repairs. However, Ferrari’s 7-year maintenance plan will help you keep it in good condition until then.
- Body type. The California is a luxury convertible, which automatically makes it more expensive to insure. That fact is largely because convertibles come at a high ticket price and their soft tops are less safe than hardtop cars. The California does, however, have an unusual hardtop convertible feature.
- Fuel. The vehicle gets between 16 and 23 mpg, which is standard for sports cars.
- Maintenance. Maintenance costs can be expensive on this Italian supercar. However, Californias are built to last. For example, the brakes and clutch have reported long-lasting value among car owners as reported on various car forums.
- Coverage. In addition to higher maximum coverage than the state minimum, you may want to include add-on coverage or luxury car insurance to protect your investment. Add-ons to consider: loan or lease gap, uninsured/underinsured motorist and agreed value coverage.
- Insurer options. Most insurance companies will provide coverage for convertibles. However, your options may get more limited if you’re opting for luxury car insurance.
- Warranty. Ferrari offers a 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty to cover basic repair costs and a maintenance plan that lasts 7 years at no extra cost to you.
Does the Ferrari California qualify for discounts?
To offset this car’s high insurance cost, you may be able to get discounts for having these safety features.
- Anti-theft system
- Anti-lock brakes
- Electronic stability control
- Parking sensors
Why is insurance so high for the Ferrari California?
Although you may love the idea of a sporty California, this car does have a high average insurance rate. That rate is affected by:
- High MSRP. The car has a price tag ranging in the $200,000s, making it more costly to repair or replace after an accident.
- Higher coverage. If you choose add-ons or luxury car insurance, these options will up your rates. But you’ll also get premium coverage as the tradeoff.
- Powerful engine. The California comes with a powerful engine built for speed, and your insurance company knows that. Sports car drivers are more likely to use their cars at higher speeds.
- Specialized repairs. This Italian sports car may need special parts or a Ferrari specialist for repair work.
- Convertible top. The car’s breezy top-down ride makes for less protection during an accident than a car without a convertible top.
How reliable is the Ferrari California?
Ferrari California car owners love the car’s low maintenance and repair needs. The car has had a few recalls in past years, though.
- Safety. This car hasn’t been reviewed by top safety organizations. That’s likely due to the car’s high price tag, making it a somewhat rare choice for consumers.
- Reliability. The California was built to last. Car owners from review sites and forums sing its praises, including its minimum maintenance and minor repair problems.
- Recalls. A few recalls have been issued over the years, including a dangerous low pressure fuel line connection, an improperly installed driver side airbag and airbag inflators that exploded upon deployment. These issues have been resolved in recent models.
The Ferrari California’s average insurance rates stand well above the national average. You may have its convertible body, recalls and high-cost parts to thank for that fact. However, owners express their love for its reliability and extensive maintenance plan.
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out:
Frequently asked questions about the Ferrari California
Read more on this topic
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ferrari LaFerrari car insurance rates You can expect to pay a lot to buy — and insure — this hybrid hypercar from Ferrari.
Ask an Expert