Wayfair Mastercard® Review
Your choice of 5% back at Wayfair or no interest financing for 24 months.
- Get this card if you’re a regular Wayfair shopper and want to turn your spending into additional Wayfair purchases.
- Pick something else if you’d rather have a credit card that earns back on a variety of spending categories.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5%
Purchase APR (variable)
Steven Dashiell is Senior Writer, Personal Finance at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, NASDAQ, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
Citi’s Wayfair Mastercard® is a new credit card from online retailer Wayfair, replacing the old version of the card provided through Comenity. You can choose one of two reward types when applying for the card: 5% back in rewards at Wayfair or no interest financing for up to 24 months when you pay in full. The card also offers 3% back at grocery stores, 2% back on eligible online purchases not made at Wayfair, 1% back everywhere else, $40 off your first qualifying order of more than $250 when you choose rewards, and no annual fee with a variable APR of 27.74%.
An earning rate of 5% on a site that primarily specializes in home goods is unique and fairly strong given the range of products you can purchase at Wayfair – 5% back on a $1,200 retro stove is a significant $60 return on your purchase. But if you’re less interested in earning 5% back on your Wayfair purchases, you can also opt for the no interest financing, which offers this card some excellent flexibility. Plus, you’ll still enjoy the card’s other earning rates even if you choose the financing reward structure, though the card’s APR is terribly high compared to the 16% average, meaning it’s a poor card for carrying a balance.
Like most store cards, the card’s value ultimately comes down to how often you shop at the corresponding store. You’re not restricted to just Wayfair.com in this case – you’ll also be able to earn and redeem your rewards at other online stores in the Wayfair umbrella, including Joss and Main, All Modern, Birch Lane and Perigold. If you’re a regular shopper at any of these sites and you want to turn your spending into further opportunity for savings at these retailers, then the Wayfair Mastercard® could prove a useful tool in your card arsenal. If you don’t shop at these sites, you’ll likely be better served by a general rewards card.
The Wayfair Mastercard® is a solid card for Wayfair shoppers that offers you a choice of 5% back at Wayfair or no interest financing. But while the rewards are reasonably strong, the card lacks additional perks that competitor store cards usually offer, such as free shipping. This card is best reserved for Wayfair devotees only.
How to apply for the Wayfair Mastercard®
You can’t apply for the Wayfair Mastercard® directly. Instead, Wayfair will review your information and put you in the running for either the Wayfair Mastercard® or Wayfair Credit Card depending on your credit qualifications.
- Go to the Wayfair website.
- Click on the Hamburger sidebar icon and click Wayfair Credit Card.
- Click Apply now.
- Enter the requested information and click submit.
What credit score do I need to apply for the Wayfair Mastercard®?
While an exact credit score isn’t listed for qualifying for the Wayfair Mastercard®, the higher your score the better. We recommend applying with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Wayfair Mastercard® benefits
- Choose your reward structure. You can choose to earn 5% back on Wayfair.com purchases and online retailers under the Wayfair umbrella, including Joss and Main, All Modern, Birch Lane and Perigold. Alternatively, you can choose to have no interest financing on select purchases for up to 24 months when you pay in full.
- Reward categories. Regardless of the reward structure you choose, you’ll also earn Reward points on select categories. This includes 3% back on eligible grocery stores, 2% back on eligible online purchases and 1% back everywhere else. Rewards are earned as Wayfair Rewards points and can be redeemed up to a maximum of $2,500 per month.
- Possible welcome offer. If you choose 5% back for your reward structure, you can get $40 off your qualifying first order of $250 or more.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Open loop. You can use the Wayfair Mastercard® for purchases at any retailer that accepts Mastercards.
Wayfair Mastercard® drawbacks
- No intro APR. While the card offers an interest free payment option, you have to give up the 5% rewards rate on Wayfair purchases to use it.
- High APR. The Wayfair Mastercard® comes with a shockingly high base APR of 27.74% variable. Generally, you shouldn’t carry a balance with this card.
- Few perks. Unlike some other store cards on the market, such as the Target REDcard™ Credit Card, this card doesn’t come with additional store perks, such as free shipping.
Compare other store credit cards
Wayfair Mastercard® customer reviews and complaints
Citi, the bank behind the Wayfair Mastercard®, is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau as of August 2021 and currently sports an F rating from the organization. Customers rate the bank a 1.04 out of 5, with many complaining about problems with the product as advertised and collections issues.
Citi earns a 1.4 out of 5 rating from customer reviews on Trustpilot as of August 2021, with poor customer service a frequent complaint.
The Wayfair Mastercard® is a solid rewards card for frequent Wayfair shoppers who want to earn rewards toward their next Wayfair purchase. However, it lacks the perks we’ve come to expect from the top-of-the-line store credit cards.
If you’re looking for a rewards card with more diverse earning potential, compare your reward card options to find one that fits your needs.