Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Best Bank of America credit cards
Get anything from a rewards card to a credit-building product.
Bank of America’s suite of credit cards offers a range of cash rewards, charitable donation opportunities, no annual fees and no foreign transaction fees. Even students and those looking to build or rebuild their credit are bound to find an option that fits their needs. And because Bank of America partners with Visa and Mastercard, its cards are accepted worldwide.
Best Bank of America credit cards
Bank of America’s cards fall into several categories that meet specific needs. Here’s what we like and what to watch out for when it comes to our top picks.
Quick look at Bank of America credit cards
- Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card: Best card for cashback rewards
- Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card: Best card for travel rewards
- Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card: Best card for airline rewards
- BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card: Best card for building credit
- Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card: Best card for small businesses
Best card for cashback rewards
Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card
Min. credit score
- Signup bonus. Make at least $1,000 in purchases within 90 days of opening your account to earn a $200 bonus cash reward.
- No annual fee. Get cash back without the weight of making up for an annual fee.
- Intro APR. Enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 statement closing dates. The APR reverts to a standard 13.99% to 23.99% variable after the promotional period is up.
- Foreign transaction fees. Avoid using the card abroad or online with foreign merchants or you'll pay a 3% fee of the amount.
- Balance transfer limitations. Transfer your balance within the first 60 days when you open your account or you won't get the 0% intro APR period on balance transfers.
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Welcome offer||$200 after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3% cash back on a chosen category and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 each quarter combined, then 1% after that and on everything else|
Best card for travel rewards
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
Min. credit score
Points welcome offer
You can also earn 25,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days your account is open. That shakes out to a $200 statement credit toward travel purchases. To top it off, there's no limit to how many points you can earn.
- Intro APR period on purchases. Get a 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 12 statement closing dates your account is open. A variable 14.99% to 22.99% APR applies after the intro period expires.
- Signup bonus. Get 25,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days your account is open. Paired with the intro APR, this is quite the deal.
- 0% foreign transaction fee. Use the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card abroad without paying additional fees on your purchases.
- No intro APR period on balance transfers. You won't be able to save money on interest if you make a balance transfer with this card.
- Penalty APR. If you miss a payment, Bank of America may impose a penalty APR of up to 29.99% variable.
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 statement closing dates (then 14.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||14.99% to 22.99% variable|
|Welcome offer||25,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||1.5x points on all purchases|
Best card for airline rewards
Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card
Min. credit score
Miles welcome offer
- Bonus miles. Earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 90 days your account is open.
- Companion fare bonus. If you're shooting for bonus miles, you might land a special version of Alaska's Famous Companion Fare. Spend $2,000 on purchases within the first 90 days your account is open to earn a code that allows you to buy a second ticket on your round-trip itinerary for just the cost of taxes and fees.
- Multiple redemption options. Redeem your miles for more than just Alaska Airlines and Virgin America tickets. Use them toward airfare purchases with Air France, American Airlines, KLM, Korean Air, Qantas and Japan Airlines.
- Annual fee. The card comes with a $75 annual fee.
- No intro APR period. You don't get a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases.
|Purchase APR||15.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||15.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Welcome offer||40,000 miles and companion pass after spending $2,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3x miles on Alaska Airlines purchases and 1x miles on all other purchases|
Best card for building credit
BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
Min. credit score
However, be sure to pay bills on time to avoid late payment fees of up to $40.
- A return of your deposit. The bank reviews BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card accounts periodically, and you might qualify for a deposit return if your overall credit history improves to BofA's satisfaction.
- Grace period. Pay off your balance before it's due each month to avoid paying interest. Generally your due date is at least 25 days after the close of your billing cycle.
- Opportunity to upgrade. You just might graduate to an unsecured card after a periodic review by Bank of America.
- No rewards program. You won't earn any rewards on your purchases.
- No intro APR period. You won't have any grace period to not pay interest on purchases.
|Purchase APR||22.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||22.99% variable|
Best card for small businesses
Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
Min. credit score
- Signup bonus. Spend at least $3,000 on purchases within 90 days of opening your account to get a $300 statement credit.
- Low intro APR. Enjoy a 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 7 billing cycles after opening your account. After the promo expires, you'll pay a 10.24% to 21.24% variable APR.
- No cost for additional cards. Adding employee cards to your account costs nothing more.
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 7 billing cycles (then 10.24% to 21.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||10.24% to 21.24% variable|
|Welcome offer||$300 after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days|
How we selected our best credit cards
We compared all Bank of America credit cards, evaluating them on dimensions such as cash back, travel rewards, balance transfers and more. We added cards to this list that had standout features for specific consumer segments.
What's in this guide?
- Best Bank of America credit cards
- Types of Bank of America Credit Cards
- Compare Bank of America credit cards
- Full list of Bank of America credit cards
- How to apply for a credit card with Bank of America
- Bank of America reward programs
- Typical card benefits and features of a Bank of America credit card?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Types of Bank of America Credit Cards
Bank of America offers a robust selection of credit cards, including several solid credit-building options for students. Here’s a breakdown of the card categories available:
|Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card|
|Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards Visa®|
|MLB® Credit Card|
|World Wildlife Fund Credit Card|
|U.S. Pride® BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Visa® Card|
|Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card|
|Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card|
|Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card|
|Norwegian Cruise Line® World Mastercard®|
|Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®|
|Allegiant World Mastercard® Credit Card|
|Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard®|
|Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®|
|Sonesta World Mastercard®|
|Royal Caribbean® Visa Signature® Credit Card|
|Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®|
|Asiana Visa Signature® Credit Card|
|Celebrity Cruises® Visa Signature® Credit Card|
|BankAmericard® Credit Card|
|Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card|
|BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card|
|Bank of America® Cash Rewards for Students|
|Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students|
|BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students|
Compare Bank of America credit cards
Use our table below to sort some BofA cards by name, intro APR, annual fee or minimum credit score. Check the Compare box under up to four cards you’re interested in. Then click the Compare button to see a side-by-side comparison of fees, requirements and features. To learn more about a specific card, click View details to read our review. If you’re looking for information on Bank of America business cards, you’ll want to jump over to our full guide.
Full list of Bank of America credit cards
- Bank of America® Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard® credit card
- Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card
- Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card
- Bank of America® Cash Rewards for Students
- Bank of America® Platinum Plus® Mastercard® Business card
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
- Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students
- BankAmericard® Credit Card
- BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
- BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card
How to apply for a credit card with Bank of America
You can easily apply for a Bank of America credit card through their website. To apply, you can do the following:
- Go to the Bank of America homepage.
- At the top menu bar, click on Credit cards.
- From the drop-down menu, you can select your desired category or click on Shop all credit cards to view all available cards.
- Review the cards to find the one you want and click Apply now.
- Fill out your personal information, including any card option preferences such as if you’re performing a balance transfer, and click Save and continue to complete the application.
You can also use the Bank of America prequalification tool to see which cards you’re more likely to obtain.
- You must be at least 18 years old — or at least 21, if a permanent resident of Puerto Rico.
- You must have a valid Social Security number.
- Full name and contact information
- Phone number and email address
- Social Security number and date of birth
- Employment status
- Total annual income
Bank of America reward programs
Depending on the card you sign up for, you might earn Bank of America points and miles on your spending. Plus, all Bank of America credit and debit cardholders get access to BankAmeriDeals offering cash back based on your spending habits in various categories.
Spirit has Free Spirit™ miles, Amtrak has Amtrak Guest Rewards® points, Norwegian Cruise Line has WorldPoints® reward points and so on.
How can I redeem points and miles?
Many brand-partnered cards earn points and miles that must be redeemed on the partner’s website. Follow the instructions provided by Bank of America when you’re ready to redeem points and miles from a brand-partnered card.
You can redeem your Bank of America® Travel Rewards Program points at the Travel Center through BofA’s site.
You can redeem Bank of America® Cash Rewards Program points toward statement credit, or deposit points into a Bank of America checking or savings account or an eligible Cash Management Account® with Merrill Lynch Wealth Management® or Merrill Edge®. You can redeem or deposit these points through your account page on the Bank of America site.
Typical card benefits and features of a Bank of America credit card?
Bank of America offers a suite of no-annual-fee credit cards. You’ll also find brand-partnered, no-frills, cashback and travel, student and small business credit cards. Depending on your financial needs, you may find one with extra savings perks — like a Bank of America card with an intro APR period or a $200 signup bonus.
Several cards also come with additional features like:
- Online shopping security. Use ShopSafe® when shopping online to generate a temporary credit card number that links to your actual account. You don’t have to register for the service: Just sign in to your online banking account and choose Use ShopSafe.
- Protection against fraud. Stay safe with Bank of America’s $0 Liability Guarantee, which covers fraudulent charges made to your account. Claims may be subject to dollar limits.
- Overdraft protection. Link an eligible Bank of America checking account to your credit card to prevent declined purchases and overdrafts. Fees may apply.
- Updated FICO® Score access. Every month that your account is open and in good standing, you’ll get a free look at your up-to-date credit score.
- Museums on Us®. Show your Bank of America credit card to get free museum entry at eligible museums across the US on the first full weekend of every month.
Preferred Rewards program
Enrolling in the Preferred Rewards program gives you access to bonus rewards of up to 25%. Qualifying Bank of America deposit accounts and Merrill Edge and Merrill Lynch investment accounts receive even more benefits with enrollment in the program.
Each tier of the program offers increasing rewards, with a sliding scale of Gold, Platinum and Platinum Honors, each with their own set of qualification parameters.
How does Bank of America keep my credit card information secure?
Strict privacy and information security rules are in place for all Bank of America employees and partners to secure your information against fraud and hacking. A global information security team also monitors activity 24/7 for potential threats.
Through its $0 Liability Guarantee, Bank of America covers any fraudulent transactions on your credit cards. Simply report the transactions and provide additional details.
Marketing materials can be a hassle, but you can control at least some of what’s sent to you and what’s shared. Through the Bank of America website, you can choose whether to share your creditworthiness with affiliates for business purposes and whether nonaffiliates can market to you for BofA accounts or those endorsed by another organization.
Bank of America offers a moderate selection of basic, rewards, travel, student and secured credit cards. But it also partners with a long list of brands to provide rewards programs and bonuses that may suit your spending.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Credit card concierge services: Which can help you find hair clippers? Finder has set out to shave you a lot of trouble, finding which credit card concierge service can help you find hair clippers if you're in a tangle.
Credit card concierge services: Which can help you find a kettlebell? If you're ready to grab life by the bells but don't have a pair, you might be able to find the kettlebells you've been searching for through your credit card concierge service. We put three credit cards to the test.
Credit card concierge services: Which can help you find condoms? Which credit card concierge service can find condoms before that loving feeling is lost?
What does 0% APR mean? A 0% APR offer is a credit card perk that helps you save money on interest.
Credit card concierge services: Which can help you find yeast? Which credit card concierge services can find yeast when you most knead it?
Coronavirus: How to manage your credit card Learn about coronavirus financial support options, complimentary insurance and other credit card details you may be wondering about.
Safeguarding your credit score from coronavirus Answers to questions about how Coronavirus-related events could affect your credit score and how to protect it.
Best Visa credit cards Earn rewards or get a 0% intro APR period with the best Visa credit cards.
BMW World Mastercard® review Earn modest rewards on BMW purchases with the BMW Card.
Credit card concierge services: Which can help you find toilet paper? Which credit card concierge services can find toilet paper in a pinch?
Ask an Expert