Compare low fee, low rate, rewards, frequent flyer credit cards and student cards from Discover, and find the card that suits your needs.
Unlike many other companies that currently offer credit cards, Discover was first a credit card company. They have since become a leading financial service offering banking services in addition to their credit cards offerings. Discover was first launched in 1986, and while the company is relatively young in comparison to others in the industry, Discover has received countless awards in customer satisfaction.
Discover recognized awards
Discover has received many accolades as a company in recent years, including the highest ranking in Customer Loyalty for the last 18 years in a row according to the 2014 Brand Keys Customer Loyalty Engagement Index Report.
Other notable awards in recent years include:
- Top 25 Employee Culture and Values – according to Glassdoor.com
- Named by the International Quality & Productivity Center (IQPC) as the winner of three 2014 Call Center Excellence Awards
- 2013 Corporate Citizen of the Year award for its financial education program, Pathway to Financial Success from the Executives’ Club of Chicago
- Ranked #1 in identity fraud resolution among the top U.S. credit card issuers in Javelin Strategy & Research’s 2012 annual assessment of identity safety in the credit card industry
- Recipient of a 2014 Golden Trumpet award from the Publicity Club of Chicago for raising awareness of the need for financial literacy; Discover won in the Issues Management category for Pathway to Financial Success, a five-year, $10 million investment to bring financial education curriculum to public high schools across the country
Compare Discover Credit Cards
Discover shines when it comes to their customer service and offers a few types of credit cards, but compared to other providers like Chase and Capital One, they offer substantially fewer specialty cards. There are options out there, depending on what you plan to use the card for. Discover’s card offerings come in a variety of categories including balance transfers, cash back, travel, student, and secured.
- Balance transfer credit cards
Discover offers several cards that have introductory rates for balance transfer. These introductory rates will last for 12 months and after the introductory period, the rates will move to anywhere between 11.24% to 23.24%. If this is a quality that you are looking for, the It card, and the It Restaurant & Gas cards will be good choices for you.
- Low fee credit cards
Discover credit cards do not carry annual fees. If you are looking to get a card without the annual fee, you can choose any of the Discover cards that are offered, and then focus on the other aspects of the card to make your decision, as there are no cards with annual fees.
- Cashback credit cards
Discover It offers varying levels of cash back during the year, including up to 5% on certain categories of items during promotional periods. Discover will also match your rewards dollar for dollar in the first year.
- Frequent flyer credit cards
The Discover It Miles credit card gives you 1.5x miles or more for every dollar you spend on purchases. Discover will also automatically match all of the miles you earn in your first year. There are no blackout dates for flights, allowing you to use your miles to fly when you want to fly. Redeem your miles for credits on your travel purchases at any time. You can also use your cash back (up to $30 per year) for in-flight Wi-Fi purchase. Similar cards offered by other carriers offer similar benefits but require an annual fee and have blackouts of certain travel dates.
- Student credit cards
For those who are in college, Discover offers two separate It cards, the Discover It Student Credit Card, and the Discover It Chrome Credit Card. Both cards boast no annual fee and a $20 cashback reward for students that maintain a 3.0 GPA each year. The main difference in the two cards is the percentage of cashback that is offered. The Discover It Chrome cards offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants, and 1% on other purchases up to the quarterly maximum, automatically, while the Discover It card offers special promotional periods with 5% cashback on certain types of purchases and 1% back on other purchases up to the quarterly maximum.
- Secured credit cards
The Secured credit card offered by Discover is very similar to those offered by other banks. The applicant submits a security deposit in a specific amount and that is the amount that is offered as a credit limit on the secured card. This card is an option for those looking to rebuild their credit, as payments and purchases will be reported to the major credit agencies.
The benefits of banking with Discover
Discover has built a reputation as one of the leading credit card companies in the country. Their customer service and customer satisfaction are among the highest in the industry. You are also able to avoid paying annual fees on cards that offer pretty substantial rewards.
- Internet banking. Discover’s website and mobile app are easy to use and offer you security and convenience.
- Fraud protection. Discover gives you the ability to freeze your account in seconds with a simple on/off switch on the mobile app or website. This is helpful just in case you have your card stolen or lost. Discover also offers $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee, making sure that you never pay for things that you didn’t authorize. You can also get overnight card replacement for free to any U.S. street address.
- The Discover Name. Discover is accepted at countless locations worldwide.
- Helpful Financial Tools. In recent years, Discover has been awarded from several different institutions for its efforts to offer quality consumer credit education programs alongside their membership services. This service allows consumers to better understand how credit cards work, building responsible credit users.
How to apply for a Discover credit card
If you are interested in applying for any of the cards you see on this page, you can click on the ‘Go to Site’ button. Each card has eligibility requirements that you need to meet to apply.There are some eligibility requirements you must meet if you want to apply. The minimum income requirement varies depending on the card you want to apply for, so you should be sure to check the requirements before completing the application.
Information needed for an Discover credit card application
Make sure you have the following bits of information about you and your finances available to help you complete the Discover credit card application.
- Driver’s licence.
- Social Security Card.
- Email address and Phone Number.
- Personal details. This includes information like your contact details, your home address and your email address.
- Financial details. You will be asked to provide information about your employer and your financial situation (income and expenses).
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Discover use mobile banking?
Yes, you can manage your account, make payments, and turn on fraud protection from the browser on your phone or your computer.
Does Discover have an App?
Yes, and it’s free! The Discover Mobile App combines the benefits of Discover.com with the power of your iPad®, iPhone®, Android™.
Is the Discover website secure?
Discover uses 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) that encodes the personal information you send over the internet. Additionally, there are multiple firewall layers. They also monitor your account actively, providing real-time alerts.
Can I receive an electronic version of my Discover credit card statement online?
Yes, you can sign-up for paperless statements at any time.
How do I get a PIN?
Discover automatically assigns a PIN to your account when you are approved for a Discover credit card. You will receive your PIN by mail after you receive your new Discover credit card.
How is interest calculated on my Discover credit card?
If you’re carrying a balance on your Discover credit card, interest is calculated on a daily basis and charged monthly.
What is my monthly credit card statement?
A monthly statement details your credit card activity for the month. Your Discover credit card statement will show the amount you have purchased, the transaction history, the payments made, and whether you have earned any rewards for the previous month’s purchases. You can sign-up for paperless statements or choose to receive paper statements from Discover.
What is my minimum monthly payment?
The minimum monthly payment is usually a percentage of your total outstanding balance. This amount is required to be paid back by the due date each month.
Does the annual fee collect interest?
The annual fee will accrue interest just like a purchase does.