A Discover card is a strong pick if you want cash back, intro APRs and no annual fees.
Visa and Mastercard tend to command the lion’s share of attention, but Discover is far from a B-player. In fact, it offers a small but impressive stable of cards, especially for no-annual-fee cashback products.
Compare Discover credit cards
Best Discover credit cards
Look elsewhere if you want a powerful travel product. But if you want a no-annual-fee card with great cash back and an intro APR, Discover may be the provider for you.
Jump to …
Best for cash back: Discover it® Cash Back
Discover it® Cash BackRead more
Best for travel: Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card
Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card
Earn unlimited 1.5x miles on all purchases - from airfare and hotels to groceries and online shopping.
Best for fair or no credit: Discover it® Secured
Discover it® Secured
2% cashback at restaurants or gas stations on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus 1% cash back on all other credit card purchases.
Best for students: Discover it® Student Cash Back
Discover it® Student Cash Back
Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Discover rewards program
Almost all Discover cards offer cash back. For the provider’s travel card, you’ll earn miles.
If you earn cash back, you can redeem it for rewards that include:
- Gift cards.
- Instant eCertificates.
- Charitable donations.
- Statement credits.
- Electronic deposits into an account of your choice.
- Pay with Cashback Bonus at eligible merchants.
You can redeem miles for electronic deposits into your bank account or for travel statement credits.
How can you redeem rewards?
To redeem rewards, log in to your credit card account on the Discover website. Then click Rewards in the navigation bar.
How much are rewards worth?
Discover miles are worth 1 cent apiece, which is the industry standard.
Typical card features and benefits of a Discover card
- No annual fee. All Discover cards have no annual fee.
- Cash back. Almost every Discover card offers cash back. The exception is the provider’s travel card, which offers miles.
- Intro APR. Many of Discover’s cards offer 0% intro APR for 14 months following your account opening on purchases and balance transfers. Even the student cards have intro APRs.
- Rewards match. In lieu of traditional signup bonuses, Discover offers a cashback or mile match at the end of your first card year.
- First late-payment fee waived. After your first late payment, you’ll be charged up to $37 per late payment.
- Ongoing APR between 14% and 25% variable. A 14% APR is slightly below the average credit card APR of 16%.
How to apply for a Discover card
Visit the Discover site and click Apply now on the credit card page. Before you apply, check that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the required information on hand.
- You need to be at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information that includes:
- Your name and residential address.
- Your Social Security number and date of birth.
- Your email address and phone number.
- Financial information like your annual income and income source.
How does Discover keep my credit card information secure?All Discover cards are embedded with chip technology, which makes them more secure than traditional magnetic-stripe cards. Discover offers several tools to enhance your account security, such as Social Security number alerts and a tool to freeze your account quickly.
Discover has a US-based fraud team that investigates suspicious transactions on your card account. If there is fraudulent activity on your account, Discover deactivates your card and sends you a replacement card. It offers a $0 fraud liability, so you won’t be on the hook for unauthorized transactions.
Discover offers a great suite of credit cards, especially if you’re looking for a cashback, secured or student product. You’ll find great perks like no annual fees, intro APRs and reward matches.
If you’re not sure if a Discover product is right for you, compare other credit card providers .