Compare Wells Fargo credit cards
While it doesn't have as many credit cards as its big-bank rivals Chase or Bank of America, Wells Fargo offers a strong stable of products. Use our table to compare your Wells Fargo credit card options and get a sense of which one is best for you.
The best Wells Fargo credit cards
The best Wells Fargo credit cards offer the highest value for the lowest cost, whether that value comes in the form of intro APR length or cash back. When rating Wells Fargo credit cards, we compared several card factors, including reward categories, earning rates, intro APR length, annual fees and more. The cards that offered the most value for the card’s annual fee or strongly fulfilled a niche were chosen for our list.
Best for balance transfers
Wells Fargo Reflect Card
|Rewards||Up to x n/a|
|Minimum credit score||800|
Best for cash back
Wells Fargo Active Cash℠ Credit Card
|Rewards||Up to 2% cash back|
|Minimum credit score||670|
Best for earning rewards on rent payments
|Welcome Offer||Other points|
|Rewards||Up to 2x points|
|Minimum credit score||670|
How do I apply for a Wells Fargo card?
To apply for a Wells Fargo credit card:
- Visit the Wells Fargo website.
- At the top menu bar, hover over Personal.
- From the drop-down menu, hover over Banking and credit cards and choose Credit cards from the new drop-down menu.
- Select the type of credit cards you want to view.
- Hit the Apply now button on the card you want.
- Fill out your personal information, including your name and residential address, Social Security Number, date of birth, your email address and phone number, and financial information like your annual income and income source, and hit Continue to complete your application.
Unfortunately, Wells Fargo doesn’t offer prequalification at this time.
How to choose the best Wells Fargo credit card
Given there are only a few Wells Fargo credit cards available, the card you choose simply comes down to the type of feature you need: hotel rewards, cashback, or 0% intro APR.
Standout benefits of a Wells Fargo card
- No annual fee. Almost all Wells Fargo cards come with no annual fee, which is a great value.
- Cash redemption. In addition to statement credits, Wells Fargo lets you redeem your cash back for literal cash at ATMs.
- Cell phone protection. Many Wells Fargo credit cards come with cell phone protection, which is a relatively rare perk for other providers.
Wells Fargo rewards program
For its rewards cards, Wells Fargo offers either cash back or points. Cash back is redeemed by:
- Cash withdrawal through your Wells Fargo debit or ATM card.
- Direct deposit into your Wells Fargo checking or savings account.
- Applying it as credit to your eligible Wells Fargo mortgage principal balance.
If your card gives points, you can redeem them for a variety of rewards depending on your card, such as:
- Cash rewards
How can I redeem rewards?
To redeem rewards, log on to your credit card account on the Wells Fargo site. You may also redeem cash rewards from a Wells Fargo ATM.
How much are rewards worth?
Wells Fargo points are usually worth a 1 cent apiece, which is the industry standard. The Bilt card does allow you to transfer points to travel partners, which may increase the value of your points.
How to compare Wells Fargo balance transfer cards
Wells Fargo balance transfer cards have 0% intro APR periods ranging from 6 to 18 months. Depending on your financial situation and your needs, you can either settle for a shorter intro APR period plus rewards or go for a longer intro APR period without rewards. One card even has a zero-interest balance transfer intro APR that lasts a year and a half, while another is a student credit card.
Even though transferring your balance with a Wells Fargo credit card is a straightforward process, you have to keep an eye on the following:
- Balance transfer fees. All Wells Fargo balance transfer cards come with a 3% fee of the amount with a minimum fee of $5 for all transfers completed during your first 120 days of card membership. After that, any balance you transfer will cost you 5% of the amount. This means that for a $5,000 balance transfer, you’ll pay a $150 fee during the first 120 days and $250 fee after that.
- 0% Intro APR period. To use the 0% intro APR period, you must complete your balance transfers during your first 120 days when you open your account. Any transfers made after that will accrue the revert APR of between 11% and 25%, depending on the card and your creditworthiness.
- Balance transfer amount. Wells Fargo doesn’t disclose the amount you can transfer, but this is often either up to 95% or 100% of your available credit limit.
- What happens after the intro APR period ends? You start to accrue interest to any unpaid balance.
- No rewards. Balance transfers are among the few credit card transactions that don’t earn any rewards, no matter the kind of card you have.
How to complete a Wells Fargo balance transfer
- Compare Wells Fargo cards. Sort through Wells Fargo cards to find the best offer for your needs.
- Choose a card. On the Wells Fargo card page, scroll down and click the Terms and conditions dropdown. You can check the card’s balance transfer intro APR, ongoing APR and fees.
- Apply for the card. Click Apply now to start the application process. Start completing the form with your personal and financial details.
- Request a balance transfer. You can request balance transfers as you apply for a card. There’s no limit to how many you can request, though your transfer amounts will be constrained by the credit limit you receive.
- Wait for approval. Oftentimes, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. If Wells Fargo needs to review your application further, wait seven to 10 business days to hear back.
- Wait for your balance transfer to complete. If you’re approved and your requests are accepted, Wells Fargo will start processing your balance transfers. As you wait for your transfers to complete, keep paying your creditors to avoid credit score drops and late fees.
- Make additional balance transfers. If you’d like to make more balance transfers, you can do so by logging in to your online account or calling the number on the back of your card.
Note: You can also request a balance transfer after you received your credit card. Call 800-642-4720 to initiate a balance transfer.
How to compare Wells Fargo business credit cards
- How often do you travel? If your company travels frequently, you may find the Wells Fargo Business Elite Signature Card beneficial, as it offers travel and rental car insurance, emergency services and no foreign transaction fees.
- Does your company want to make a balance transfer? If you want to transfer an existing card balance from a non-Wells Fargo account, the Wells Fargo Business Platinum Credit Card is the only option that offers an intro APR period for balance transfers.
- Do you spend over $10,000 a month? If you’re spending five figures every month, then the Wells Fargo Business Elite Signature Card offers the best return in terms of rewards and cash back.
Why choose a Wells Fargo business credit card?
Wells Fargo business cards offer the standard array of perks and reward potential you’d want from a business card. Plus, Wells Fargo offers just three business cards, each tailored to a certain type of business. Some of the potential benefits include:
- Choice of rewards. All Wells Fargo business cards give you the choice of earning 1x reward points or 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- Bonus reward points. You can earn additional bonus points for every $1 spent at participating Earn More Mall retailers. Plus, you’ll get a 10% bonus when you redeem your points online.
- No foreign transaction fees. Wells Fargo business cards don’t charge fees for purchases made overseas or at foreign websites. Other providers typically charge up to 3% per transaction, so this could be a fair amount of savings depending on how much you travel.
- Zero liability protection. All cards have built-in protection, which means you won’t be responsible for any unauthorized transactions.
- Business tools. All account holders have access to Wells Fargo Business Online, where you can manage spending, payments and transfers online. You can also leverage the Business Spending Report to manage your expenses.
- Employee cards. All three cards allow you to add employee cards, but the amount available and costs can vary.
- Customize your card. Impress clients with a customized card with Wells Fargo’s Card Design Studio Service.
- Overdraft protection. Avoid overdrafts and returned check fees by signing up for the Wells Fargo Business Online service.
Full list of Wells Fargo credit cards
- Wells Fargo Active Cash℠ Credit Card
- Bilt World Elite Mastercard
- Wells Fargo Reflect
- Hotels.com Rewards Visa
Wells Fargo credit cards alternatives
Wells Fargo offers several fresh new products and many of its cards go toe-to-toe with products from other major providers. That said, it doesn’t offer the same card variety as a few other providers. If you’re looking for more robust reward programs or more diverse travel perks, Chase, American Express or Capital One are all great alternatives.
If you’re uncertain whether a Wells Fargo product is right for you, check out leading credit card providers to compare more options.
More guides on Finder
Upgrade vs. Upstart: Which is better?
Compare Upgrade and Upstart personal loan features, benefits and differences.
4 loans like Rapid Cash
Rapid Cash offers installment loans and payday loans, but consider these 4 alternatives with fewer fees.
4 loans like RISE Credit
RISE Credit offers large loans at a high price, but you can consider these 4 alternatives.
Top cards that build credit
Credit-building cards offer an alternative way to build a better credit history.
High-yield savings accounts: What’s the catch?
Explore how high-yield savings accounts work and whether they’re too good to be true.
5 best cash advance apps that work with Cash App
Find the 5 best cash advance apps that work with Cash App, plus the pros and cons.
Shein IPO: How to buy Shein stock when it goes public
Everything we know about the Shein IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Business Loans Calculator
Estimate monthly payments for that government-backed loan you’ve been eyeing.
Ask an Expert