Take a look at the different credit cards American Express has to offer and find the one that meets your needs.
American Express has 117.8 million cardholders as of the end of 2015, and operations in over 130 countries, worldwide. Founded in 1850, American Express has spent over a century growing into a brand that customers can trust and developing a top-tier products. This company seeks to not only lend money where it’s needed, but also provide insight and experience to its consumer base.
If you’re looking for a credit card, prepaid card, or even a gift card, American Express is going to have options to suit almost any need. Credit cards are available for personal use, small business, and corporations. Within the personal cards, you can find reward cards that feature travel, cashback, or reward points.
- Largest credit card issuer. American Express is the largest credit card issuer by purchase volume.
- Fortune 500 ranked. American Express stands at #85 in the Fortune 500 Ranking of top U.S. business.
- Most admired company. On the World’s Most Admired Company list, American Express nears the top at #11.
Types of American Express Credit Cards
American Express offers a variety of credit cards to meet both personal and business needs. It doesn’t just stop at credit though; American Express also offers a variety of prepaid and gift cards. Each card offers its own range of features to suit different banking needs, with annual fees as low as $0, and welcome offers that include upwards of $300 back.
- Travel reward credit cards. American Express hosts a variety of personal travel reward credit cards. The Premier Rewards Gold Card, Platinum Card®, Starwood Preferred Guest® Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles® Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card, Delta Reserve® Card, Hilton HHonors™ Card, Hilton HHonors™ Surpass Card, and Gold Card® are all available with a range of offers from extra bonus points to extra travel miles.
- Cash back reward credit cards. There are a few options through American Express if you would prefer a credit card that gives cash back as a reward for spending. The Blue Cash Everyday® Card, Blue Cash Preferred® Card, and Blue Cash® cards each offer cash rewards.
- Rewards points credit cards. Reward points are another reward option through American Express. The Amex EveryDay® card, Premier Rewards Gold Card, Platinum Card®, American Express® Green Card, Amex EveryDay® Preferred Card, Mercedes-Benz Card, Gold Card, and Blue each offer reward points.
- Small business credit cards. If you’re a small business owner, American Express also offers a range of credit cards to meet your needs. The Business Platinum Card®, Plum Card®, Business Gold Rewards Card, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Card, Business Green Rewards Card, SimplyCash® Plus Business Card, Blue for Business® Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Card, Delta Reserve for Business Card, and Lowe’s Business Rewards Card each have unique features to help your business along.
- Corporate credit cards. A business with over $25 million may qualify for a corporate card with American Express. Within the corporate card family, American Express offers the Corporate Green Card, Corporate Gold Card, Corporate Platinum Card®, Business Extra®, Corporate Meeting Card, and Corporate Purchasing Card. Each of the cards features different benefits aimed at rewarding corporate spending.
- Prepaid and gift cards. Outside of credit cards, American Express also offers prepaid, reloadable, and gift cards. American Express Serve®, American Express Serve® FREE Reloads, American Express Serve® Cash Back, themed personal and business gift cards, and personalized personal and business gift cards are available options for non-credit needs.
Benefits of banking with American Express
American Express has the experience of over a century behind their products. Not only are the products offered refined, but each card carries different benefits including those outlined below:
- 24/7 account access. A mobile app, mobile website, and full website make accessing your account from anywhere at anytime a breeze. The Amex Mobile application is offered by American Express to keep cardholders in control of their banking. Mobile alerts can be set up to send push notifications whenever the card is charged or suspicious activity arises. Rewards can also be used, nearby offers can be found, and statements can be downloaded instantly using the application.
- Reward redemption options. With American Express rewards you can choose how to put your payoffs to use. Travel options including airlines and hotels around the world, donating your rewards to the charity of your choice, redeeming points for gift cards at value, and covering your cross-town fare with Uber are just some of the options cardholders have.
- Offers all over. Nationwide offers are available to cardholders on the daily. Events can be found in everywhere from Aurora, IL to London, EN. Special offers on prices, invitations, and select seating are all offered to cardholders for various events. Some events even include Prepaid and International cardholders, allowing more than just the traditional customers in on the fun.
How to apply for a credit card with American Express
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older to apply
- Applicants must have a valid social security number
- Corporate applicants must have over $25 million in annual revenue
To complete the application, have the following information and documents ready.
- Full name and date of birth
- Street address and phone number
- Valid email address
- Total annual income
Frequently asked questions
How do I find out which American Express card has what I need?
External review sites such as this one exist to help outline the benefits of each card. American Express also offers a comparison tool on their website to assist you in finding which card has the features you want.
Are there fees associated with online banking?
American Express does not charge extra fees for online banking. If you are using a mobile device, you are responsible for any standard operating costs for using the internet, text alerts, or the mobile app that your carrier charges.
How do I set up online banking with American Express?
Setting up your username and password for your American Express online banking is part of the online application.
How do I download my monthly statement?
Your monthly billing statement is available through the American Express website and through the mobile app.
How is interest calculated for my American Express credit card?
The interest on your purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers is calculated using the Daily Periodic Rate and the number of days in the billing cycle. These are multiplied together and then multiplied by the average of your daily balances. You can avoid paying interest by paying off the entire amount owed before the end of a billing cycle.
Are there fees associated with my American Express credit card?
Some American Express credit cards carry annual, balance transfer, and cash advance fees. There are also certain cards that charge a foreign currency conversion fee. Some fees, such as the late payment fee, can be avoided by abiding to the card agreement.
What types of buyer protection are offered by American Express?
Several types of protection are offered when using a credit card through American Express depending on the card chosen. The card’s terms and conditions will inform you on which plans are included on your card.
Purchase protection will cover transactions that include merchandise that has been stolen or accidentally damaged. There is usually a limited amount of time post-purchase that the coverage is valid, and there may be a minimum purchase amount to qualify for a refund.
Extended warranties may be available for certain purchases. These usually extend the manufacturer’s warranty by a predetermined amount of time, usually one year. Warranty protection and extension may not be available if you do not register the purchase with the manufacturer.
Return coverage can protect you against denied returns for some transactions. There is typically a window of time in which an item may be returned to the merchant. If the item is not accepted it is possible that the purchase price can be refunded through the card issuer.
Can I set up bill payment through American Express?
American Express allows cardholders to make one-time payments or automatic bill payments with their card. Payments will also qualify for rewards back when using any card with a rewards program.
How can I increase my credit limit with American Express?
Credit limit increases for American Express credit cards may be available to you as your credit score increases. To successfully apply for an increase, it is suggested that you first develop a history of paying bills in a timely fashion and for more than the minimum amount required.
How do I report a lost or stolen American Express card?
It is important to contact American Express as soon as you realize you’ve lost a card or had it stolen. There are specific customer service lines associated with different cards, but if you are unfamiliar with yours, you can call 1-800-528-4800. Make sure to have pertinent card information available when you call including your card number and account number.
Can American Express change my APR?
The APR for purchases, balance transfers, cash advances, and penalty APRs will all vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
What is the minimum number of points I must earn before I can redeem them for a reward?
As soon as you reach the number of points needed to qualify for a reward you can redeem them. There is no minimum balance of reward points that you must keep.
How can I earn rewards with my American Express credit card?
Rewards are earned through spending. Depending on the card you have and the terms of the reward program, you may earn a point-for-dollar reward. There are certain cards that allow for double or triple reward points with qualifying purchases, as well as cards with welcome offers that give bonus rewards. In order to find out what points you earn and how, refer to the specific card policy.
How do I cancel my account with American Express?
Most cards can be cancelled by calling the phone number listed on the back. In the event that you don’t have the number available, you can call 1-800-528-4800 for help cancelling your account, 24/7.