This bank offers many attractive cards, including travel, cashback and balance transfer products.
Citibank is one of the largest credit card issuers in the United States, offering a variety of strong products. Take a look at this provider if you want a great cashback or balance transfer card.
Compare Citibank® credit cards
Best Citibank credit cards
Citibank offers almost 20 credit cards, most of them travel products. It also offers an attractive cashback card and two best-in-class balance transfer cards.
Jump to …
Best for cash back: Citi® Double Cash Card
Citi® Double Cash CardRead more
Citibank occasionally offers an intro APR on balance transfers. When it does, you’ll typically find an impressive promotion.
Best for travel: Citi Premier℠ Card
Citi Premier℠ Card
Earn 50,000 bonus points after making $4,000 in purchases with your card within the first 3 months of account opening.
The Citi Premier℠ Card costs $95 a year starting the second year. For most, it’s the option that’s just right. Points give you lots of flexibility, as you can redeem them for a variety of travel rewards. And if you redeem them through the ThankYou® Travel Center, they’re worth 25% more.
If you’re a frequent American Airlines flyer, you might like one of Citibank’s co-branded airline cards, such as the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®.
Best for everyday purchases: Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by CitiRead more
Best for balance transfers: Citi Simplicity® Card
Citi Simplicity® Card
Enjoy a 0% intro APR for 21 months on balance transfers and for 12 months on purchases.
This is a simple card with no annual fee that offers an excellent intro APR on both purchases and balance transfers. If you want to get rid of debt you’ve accumulated from other credit cards, this could be the Citibank card for you.
Best secured credit card: Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Citi® Secured Mastercard®
Build, improve or rebuild your credit with a secured credit card.
Citibank rewards program
For its non-co-branded rewards cards, Citibank offers either cash back or ThankYou® Points.
If you earn cash back, you can redeem your rewards when your cash rewards balance is $25 or more. You can redeem cash back through these methods:
- Statement credit to your card account.
- Credit to your linked Citi savings or checking account.
- Credit to a checking account that you’ve used to pay a Citi credit card bill at least twice.
If your card gives ThankYou® Points, you can redeem them for a variety of rewards, including:
- Gift cards.
- Points transfers.
- Cash back.
- Statement credit.
- Donations to charity.
Typical features and benefits of a Citibank card
- Rewards. Most Citibank products offer rewards. Exceptions include balance transfer cards and the bank’s secured credit card.
- No annual fee or waived first-year fee. Several Citibank cards offer no annual fee. If you want a powerful travel card but aren’t sure you want to pay an annual fee, try a card that waives the fee for the first year.
- Ongoing APR between 15% and 25% variable. With strong credit, you may qualify for an ongoing APR near the bottom of this range. With weaker credit, you may get a relatively high APR around 25% variable.
- No foreign transaction fees. Many Citibank cards are travel products and don’t charge foreign transaction fees, which makes them great companions when traveling abroad.
- Signup bonus. Many Citibank cards offer signup bonuses. Exceptions include products like the Citi® Double Cash Card and the bank’s balance transfer cards.
How to apply for a Citibank card
Go to the Citibank website and click Apply Now. Before you apply, check that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the required information on hand.
- You’re at least 18 years old.
Information you’ll need
To complete the application, you’ll need to provide information that includes:
- Your name and residential address.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth.
- Financial information like your annual income and income source.
How does Citibank keep my credit card information secure?Citibank uses advanced technology to keep your information safe online and on mobile. It deploys 128-bit SSL encryption to secure the information you transmit, as well as an SSL certificate that helps you confirm you’re on the correct website. Additionally, the bank uses two-step verification if it needs to confirm your identity.
Through the Quick Lock feature, you can lock your card if you misplace it. Just use the Citi Mobile App or log in to your account on the Citibank website.
The bank also offers $0 liability protection on unauthorized transactions. It attempts to stop fraud before it happens through 24/7 monitoring and suspicious-activity alerts through phone, text, email or mail.
Travel cards are Citibank’s bread and butter, but the provider offers a superb cashback product and top-notch balance transfer cards.
If you’re not sure whether a Citibank product is right for you, check out other credit card providers to compare more options.