Sephora Credit Card review
Earn 4% back in Sephora rewards on purchases in-store and online.
- Get this card if you often shop at Sephora and sephora.com
- Pick something else if you want a card with a higher rewards rate outside the store.
- Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher for best chances of approval.
Up to 4%
Purchase APR (variable)
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
Expert reviewSephora Credit Card — issued by Comenity Capital Bank — is designed with Sephora regulars in mind. With 4% back in Sephora reward dollars on purchases made at the store and online at sephora.com, it’s unlikely you’ll find a more rewarding option. What’s more, you get a 15% discount on your first purchase at the store when you open your account.
That said, there are two versions of the card — a Visa Signature version and a store card version. The difference between the two is that you can use the Visa card outside the store, to buy groceries, gas or whatever you need, while you can only use the store card version at Sephora. There’s only one application form and the card you get mostly depends on your creditworthiness.
One downside of this card is the redemption options. You earn Sephora rewards dollars on your purchases and you get a rewards certificate at the end of your billing cycle. Rewards certificates expire 90 days after issuance and you can only redeem for purchases at Sephora. With the Citi® Double Cash Card, for example, you earn twice as low on Sephora purchases, but you can redeem your rewards for cash, which you spend wherever you want.
Despite these limitations, no matter which version you get, the Sephora Credit Card is a great way to save money on your Sephora purchases. Since the card has no annual fee and offers rewards on Sephora purchases, the card is worth it if you shop at Sephora.
How to apply for the Sephora Credit Card
Applying for the card is fast and easy. Here’s how it works:
- Visit the Sephora.com website and find the card at the bottom of the page.
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form.
- Review the form and submit.
Note: If Sephora approves your application, you’ll get a temporary credit card valid for 14 days with a $500 credit limit and a maximum of four transactions to use at the store until the physical card arrives.
What credit score do I need?
You can get the store card version with a fair credit score of 580, but to get the Visa Signature version, apply with at least a good credit score of 670.
Sephora Credit Card benefits
- Cash back. Earn 4% back in rewards dollars on purchases at US Sephora stores and sephora.com. Purchases made at Sephora stores in Puerto Rico, Canada, and Sephora inside JCPenney retail stores don’t qualify for 4% back. You also earn 1% back on all other purchases with the Sephora Credit Card, but not with the store card.
- Signup bonus. Get a 15% discount on your first purchase when you open your account. You also earn a $20 Sephora rewards with the Sephora Visa card when you spend $500 outside Sephora stores within the first 90 days when you open your account.
- No annual fee. The card costs $0 annually to own.
What to watch out for
- Two Sephora credit cards. One is a Sephora Visa Signature card, which you can use wherever Visa cards are accepted. The other is a store card you can only use at Sephora. Both cards use the same credit card application and approval is based on creditworthiness.
- Credit card rewards expire. Your rewards certificate expires 90 days after issuance.
- No intro APR period. The card doesn’t have a 0% intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers.
- Foreign transaction fee. Using the Visa card abroad or online with foreign merchants will cost you a 3% fee of the amount.
Compare store credit cards
Below are other store credit cards that can help you earn rewards at your favorite stores. Consider these cards if you frequently shop at these stores.
The Sephora Credit Card comes with 4% back in rewards at eligible Sephora stores and sephora.com. It also has a $0 annual fee, which makes the card a great addition to the wallet of any Sephora regular. If this card isn’t right for you, consider comparing other store credit cards.