Home Depot Consumer Credit Card review
Get deferred interest on purchases $299 or more.
- Get this card if you periodically make large Home Depot purchases, or you want long return windows for your items.
- Pick something else if you want rewards or a card that can be used at a variety of merchants.
- You may qualify with fair credit. However, you’ll have much better odds with a good to excellent credit score of 670 and above.
All information about this card has been collected independently by Finder.
17.99%, 21.99%, 25.99%, or 26.99% fixed
Minimum Credit Score
|Welcome offer||$25 off your purchase of $25-$299, $50 off your purchase of $300-$999 or $100 off single purchase of $1,000 or more in first 30 days|
|Purchase APR||17.99%, 21.99%, 25.99%, or 26.99% fixed|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card is great for two reasons:
- If you periodically make large purchases from the retailer, the deferred-interest benefit can help you pay off your items responsibly.
- If you usually need a long time to decide whether to keep your Home Depot purchases, you’ll love the card’s one-year return feature.
Note this card doesn’t offer rewards, which is unusual for a store card. If you want a rewards card, consider a top-rated no-annual-fee cashback credit card.
Where can I use my Home Depot Consumer Credit Card?
Use this card at The Home Depot or EXPO Design Center. Because it’s not backed by a major card network like Visa or Mastercard, you can’t use it with outside merchants.
- No annual fee.
This makes it easier to keep the card long-term, even if you only use it occasionally.
- No annual fee.
- Signup bonus. $25 to $100 discount on an eligible purchase. You’ll receive a discount on your next eligible purchase within 30 days of account opening. You’ll receive a $25 discount if the purchase is $25 to $999, $50 off if the purchase is $300-$999, or a $100 discount if the purchase is $1,000 or more.
- Special financing.
With this Home Depot credit card, you pay no interest on purchases of $299 or more if you pay them off within six months.
Heads up: Be careful with special financing
The card’s six-month financing is called deferred interest. If you don’t pay off your entire balance by the time your deferred-interest period is up, you’ll accrue interest from the day you made the purchase.
Here’s an example
Suppose you make a $350 purchase with your Home Depot Consumer Credit Card. Right before your six-month financing deal is up, you pay back $349 of that purchase.
Because you haven’t paid off the entire balance, six months of interest will be added to it. This is bad news, considering the card’s normal purchase APR can stretch as high as 26.99% variable.
- 1 year to make returns.
You’ll have a return window of 365 days on most purchases, instead of their usual 90-day return policy.
You’ll also like…
- Periodic financing promotions.
Home Depot will periodically offer special financing on certain items. According to Home Depot, you could receive special financing for up to 24 months during select promotions. This means you can use your Home Depot credit card and pay no interest if you pay in full before the special financing period is up.
See more: Examples of financing promotions
Here are some financing promotions that have been offered for Home Depot Consumer Credit Card members. They may or may not be valid right now.
- 12 months of special financing for appliances $299 or more.
- 12 months of special financing for installed fencing purchases of $2,999 or more.
What to watch out for
- No rewards.
This card offers no rewards, unlike most store cards that offer some form of rewards typically redeemable for discount certificates.
- Valid only at The Home Depot and EXPO Design Center.
This isn’t a general credit card you can use at a variety of merchants.
Save more at Home Depot
Home Depot is known to offer the biggest discounts during three-day weekend holidays like Memorial Day and Labor Day, when homeowners have some extra time to tackle DIY projects. Black Friday and Cyber Monday also usually bring deep discounts on home appliances, holiday decor and more. No matter what time of the year you’re shopping, see if you can snag a coupon to save even more.
Compare rewards credit cards
Compare Home Depot Consumer Credit Card with other cards
If you’re looking for a Home Depot Consumer Credit Card with no interest on purchases made at the store, this card may be the right choice. However, if you’re looking for rewards try a cashback credit card.
Frequently asked questions
What is this card’s grace period on interest?
The grace period will be at least 25 days. You’ll get one if you started the billing cycle with a zero balance.
What are the restrictions on the one-year return policy?
Some items like furniture and area rugs get only a 30-day return window. There are also restrictions on products such as major appliances and hazardous materials.
Visit the Home Depot website to see more return-policy exceptions.