Is the My Best Buy® Visa® Card worth applying for?
A store credit card with great rewards for the loyal Best Buy shopperThe information about My Best Buy® Visa® Card has been collected independently by Finder and and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer.
- Get this card if… you’re a frequent Best Buy shopper.
- Pick something else if… you don’t shop often at Best Buy.
- The My Best Buy Credit Card does one thing really well: get you rewards that you can later spend at Best Buy. If you find yourself returning to the store again and again, keeping track of the latest Best Buy promo codes and coupons, then this card might be for you.
Up to 6%
Up to $59
Intro purchase APR
for the first up to 48 months reduced rate (then 25.24% variable)
Recommended credit score
|Product Name||My Best Buy® Visa® Card|
|Annual fee||Up to $59|
|Purchase APR||11.9% intro for the first up to 48 months reduced rate (then from 25.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Steven Dashiell is a credit cards writer at Finder. He's worked on 250 Finder articles and counting, helping readers embrace and maximize credit cards. Backed by nearly a decade of research and reporting experience, Steve's work can be seen on Debt.com, CreditCards.com and Lifehacker.
- The My Best Buy Credit Card is a store card, so you can only use it at Best Buy.
- You can use the My Best Buy® Visa® Card like a normal credit card. After you apply, you’ll either be approved for the Gold version ($59) annual fee or the Platinum version ($0) annual fee.
SPECIAL APR: Reduced interest on eligible purchases.
On some purchases, you’ll get an 11.9% promotional APR on Best Buy’s 48-month credit plan.
REWARDS: Get points for qualifying purchases.
Earn 5% cash back on Best Buy purchases. If you’re a My Best Buy Elite Plus member, you’ll earn 6% back.
SPECIAL FINANCING: Access to deferred-interest promotions.
Best Buy will occasionally send you deferred-interest offers. On these purchases, you can use your card and accrue no interest if you pay in full within a specified time period.
My Best Buy® Visa® Card Bonus Perk
ADDITIONAL REWARDS: For purchases outside of Best Buy.
Earn 3% cash back on gas. Earn 2% at restaurants and grocery stores. And earn 1% on everything else.
What to watch out for
The My Best Buy® Visa® Card comes with a high 25.24% variable APR, so consider paying off your card balance each month.
Fees for late and returned payments.
For each late or returned payment, you’ll pay a fee of up to $40.
Save more at Best Buy
Best Buy frequently runs sales events throughout the year and always features its best discounts on the Deals tab of its website. For the most savings on big-ticket items like appliances, laptops and smartphones, cash in on Black Friday and Cyber Monday doorbusters around the holidays.
Otherwise, take a look at our top deals and coupon codes to stretch your bucks further:
Can you get a Best Buy credit card with no interest?
Best Buy may offer you a 0% deferred interest on select purchases you make with your My Best Buy® Visa® Card. Deferred interest often sounds like a great deal, but to make it work, you must pay your purchase before the interest-free period ends. Otherwise, you’ll pay interest accrued from the day you made your purchase. If you’re not careful, this can cost you hundreds of dollars extra.
As an alternative, you have multiple 0% intro APR credit cards that let you buy now and pay off your purchase in up to 20 months without interest. The great thing about this type of card is that even if you fail to pay off your balance after the intro period is up, you’ll only start to accrue interest on your remaining balance.
Compare credit cards
Looking for a credit card to earn rewards? Compare cards below and look for a card that allows you to earn rewards on all your purchases, not just your purchases at Best Buy.
Best Buy Credit Card rewards programs
When you’re approved for a My Best Buy card, you can choose between two rewards programs:
- Accrue points that you can redeem for Best Buy rewards certificates (normally 5% per dollar spent; 6% if you’re an Elite Plus member).
- No interest on purchases $399 or more if you pay in full within 12 months.
To attain Elite Plus status, you need to spend $3,500 at Best Buy or BestBuy.com in a calendar year.
Additional rewards for the My Best Buy® Visa® Card
With the My Best Buy® Visa® Card, you’ll get additional points on purchases outside of Best Buy, including home improvement stores, restaurants and grocery stores.
Applying for the Best Buy Credit Card
To apply for the My Best Buy® Visa® Card, you must be at least 18 years old.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for the My Best Buy® Visa® Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher. You’ll likely be approved for the My Best Buy® Visa® Card with a fair credit score of at least 670.
How to apply for the My Best Buy® Visa® Card
- On the Best Buy website, click the Apply Now button.
- Create an account or sign in to your My Best Buy account.
- Fill out the application form. Provide information like your contact information, total annual income and Social Security number.
How long will it take to be approved?
It can take up to 14 days to receive approval for the My Best Buy® Visa® Card. Approval is decided by Citibank, not Best Buy.
I got the card — now what?
- Making payments. The My Best Buy® Visa® Card is distributed by Citibank. You can pay your bills online by signing into Citibank’s online portal.
- Avoiding interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoiding fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $40.
- Customer service. If you have questions about your account, you can contact Citibank support at 1-888-574-1301.
You should pass on the My Best Buy® Visa® Card and compare other store credit cards if you’re only an occasional Best Buy shopper. But if you come back to the store again and again, you’ll find that the My Best Buy® Visa® Card offers great rewards.