A valuable companion for frequent Delta flyers and world travelers — even if it’s a little pricey.
We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.Known for: Excellent travel benefits and Delta perks
Minimum credit score: 720 (Excellent)
With the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card, you’ll come for the strong introductory bonus and stay for the helpful travel features. It’s one of the pricier cards on the market ($195 p.a. annual fee), but you could get your money’s worth if you travel frequently, with a suite of offerings like no foreign transaction fees, Delta Airlines perks, and travel insurance.
|Product Name||Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||16.99% to 25.99% variable% Intro APR for 60 days (with whichever is greater, $5 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||16.99% to 25.99% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||16.99% to 25.99% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.49% variable|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|0% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Good (700-739)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$38|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater|
What are the benefits of the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card?
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles comes with a great introductory bonus and a collection of features from American Express. It’s especially useful if you’re an avid traveler, as it comes with travel perks like baggage insurance, car rental insurance, and access to the American Express Global Assist Hotline.
Since the card is co-branded with Delta, you’ll get the most out of it if you’re a loyal Delta Airlines flyer. You’ll get discounted Delta Sky Club access, for example, as well as a free checked bag and savings on in-flight purchases.
- Introductory offer of 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 35,000 bonus miles. You’ll earn bonus miles by hitting a relatively low spending requirement of $1,000 in the first three months.
- Annual complimentary companion certificate. Invite another passenger to travel with you on eligible main cabin round-trip domestic flights .
- Miles Boost for faster mile earnings. If you spend $25,000 or more in a calendar year, you’ll earn 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 bonus MQMs. Once you hit $50,000 in spending for the calendar year, you’ll earn another 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs.
- 1x miles per dollar spent. On all purchases, you’ll earn 1 mile per dollar spent.
- Additional 2x miles on Delta purchases. On top of the miles you’ll earn on all purchases, you’ll earn 2 mile per dollar spent through Delta Airlines.
- No limits on miles. You can earn as many miles as you’d like.
- No foreign transaction fees. You can use your card internationally without incurring fees.
- First checked bag free on Delta flights. Checking the first bag on a Delta flight normally costs $25.
- Access to Delta Sky Club for a reduced fee. Just use your Platinum Delta SkyMiles card.
- Savings on in-flight purchases. You’ll receive a 20% discount (comes in the form of statement credit) on in-flight purchases like movies, TV shows, food, beverages, video games and audio headsets.
- Car rental coverage. You’ll receive insurance on eligible car rentals, protecting you from liability for loss or damage.
- Baggage insurance. Lost, damaged, or stolen baggage will be covered when you purchase your transportation fare with your Platinum Delta SkyMiles card. (Maximum coverage of $1,250 for carry-on baggage and $500 for checked baggage.)
- 24/7 access to the Global Assist Hotline. On trips more than 100 miles from your home, you can use the Global Assist Hotline, which offers legal, financial, and medical assistance. You can also call the Hotline for emergencies like cash wires, passport replacement, and missing luggage.
- Purchase protection. With the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card, you’ll receive purchase protection like extended warranties, return protection, and theft and damage protection.
- Entertainment access. You’ll have access to ticket presales and local cardholder-only events.
- Fraud protection. You won’t be liable for charges you don’t authorize.
What to watch out for
- $195 p.a. annual fee. The Platinum Delta SkyMiles card comes with an annual fee higher than most cards.
- Sliding APR scale. You’ll receive an APR from 16.99% to 25.99% variable depending on your credit.
- Taxes and fees with round-trip flights. You’ll receive an annual companion certificate, but you will need to pay taxes and fees (maximum $75) out of pocket.
- Higher APR for cash advances. If you want to take out a cash advance, keep in mind that doing so comes with a higher APR of 26.49% variable and a fee.
- You may find better mile multiples with other cards. If you’re a frequent Delta Airlines customer, this might be one of the best cards you can find. If you’re not, however, the 1x mile multiple on purchases might leave a little to be desired. Look at your spending habits and consider whether other travel cards offer you more miles over the long run.
Am I eligible?
We recommend you meet these requirements before applying for the card:
- Excellent credit (720-850).
- At least 18 years of age and a US resident.
What information do I need to apply?
- Your name, residential status and address
- Your Social Security number
- Your email address, phone number, and date of birth
- Financial information like your annual salary, wages, bank routing number, and bank account number
Compare other American Express credit cards
How to apply for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card
- Click the Go to Site button on this page.
- Click the Apply Now button on the American Express page.
- Fill out personal information like your name, Social Security number, date of birth, address, total annual income, and whether you’re currently enrolled in the Delta SkyMiles program.
- Agree to American Express’s terms and conditions.
- Submit your application and wait to be approved.
I got the credit card! Now what?
Congratulations! Here are a few tips to make the most of your card.
- Keep making monthly payments on time. Pay off your statements on time to avoid incurring a penalty APR, which can be to as high as 26.49% variable.
- Enroll in American Express AutoPay. You can keep on top of your monthly payments more easily by enrolling in AutoPay. Choose automatic payments each month based on your total balance or minimum payment due, or a fixed amount.
- Avoid accruing interest. It might feel good in the short term paying only the minimum on your monthly statement, but by doing so you’ll start accruing interest on your balance. To avoid this, pay your balance in full each month.
- Be careful with common fees. Though the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card comes with no foreign transaction fees, it does come with balance transfer fees and cash advance fees.
- Make balance transfers quickly. You can only initiate balance transfers within 60 days of opening your account.
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card: The bottom line
There may be better card options if you don’t fly Delta often or don’t spend much. Overall, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card is a powerful travel card with a strong introductory bonus, useful perks for Delta customers and robust travel protections.