Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Toyota RAV4 insurance rates
Average Toyota RAV4 insurance rates
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Car insurance for the RAV4
Initially released in 1994, the Toyota RAV4 is a popular compact crossover SUV that is currently in its fifth generation. Like most Toyota vehicles, the RAV4 has award-winning safety features and great crash test ratins that may help you save on insurance.
According to our estimates, the average cost of auto insurance for a Toyota RAV4 is $167 a month — or $2,004 a year. While this estimate is roughly $1,000 higher than the national average, your actual rates may vary. This is because the cost of auto insurance is influenced by a number of vehicle, driver and location-based factors.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Compare insurance providers that cover Toyota RAV4
How to compare insurance for the Toyota RAV4
Auto insurance is one of those things that almost every driver needs but nobody wants to buy. Coverage can be expensive, providers often use confusing language and every one claims to have the best price. But as overwhelming as it may be, auto insurance is mandatory in almost every state, plus it can provide peace of mind that your vehicle is always protected. Here are a few factors to consider when shopping for coverage:
- Price. While price is an important consideration, you’ll need to make sure the policies you’re comparing offer the same coverage. You can do this by using the same driver and vehicle details for each quote.
- Deductible. Since your deductible amount can directly impact your monthly premiums, it’s important to choose an amount that fits your budget but won’t empty your wallet if you need to file a claim.
- Minimum coverage. Coverage requirements vary by state, so it’s essential that you confirm that each policy meets your state’s minimum coverage amount before you buy.
- Additional coverage. You may want to consider additional coverage like pet insurance or uninsured motorist coverage. Just keep in mind that these options will likely increase the cost of coverage.
- Extras. Every policy comes with different features, so you should find out what’s included and what you’ll need to pay extra for.
- Restrictions. Find out if any restrictions apply to your policy to avoid gaps in coverage or denied claims.
- Manufacturer offer or loyalty discount. Find out if your manufacturer has any special offers or loyalty discounts through partnerships with insurance providers.
- Warranty. Find out what’s covered by your manufacturer or extended warranty to avoid paying for overlapping coverage.
Car insurance rates for Toyota RAV4 by year
What factors affect car insurance rates for Toyota RAV4?
While your driving history, location and many other factors can affect your chances of getting into an accident, the vehicle you drive often has a much larger effect. This is because theft rates, performance, engine size, safety ratings and other details can vary from vehicle to vehicle. And since insurance providers calculate your premiums with respect to your risk and cost of filing claims, your vehicle choice can directly impact your rates. Here’s how:
- Body type. The Toyota RAV4 is a compact SUV that’s designed for daily driving, hauling small loads of cargo and other low-risk driving behavior. This could help you save on auto insurance.
- Type of car. The RAV4 is an affordable compact SUV. These types of vehicles generally aren’t too expensive to insure.
- Theft. The RAV4 is one of the most frequently stolen SUVs and crossovers, which could increase the cost of coverage.
- Repairs. The RAV4 has a low average repair cost, which could help bring down the cost of coverage.
- Safety ratings. Aside from lackluster passenger-side crash tests, the RAV4 has amazing safety ratings. This may make insurance more affordable.
- Fuel type. The standard Toyota RAV4 runs on gas, which should make coverage cheaper than the hybrid version.
- Trim & packages. Choosing trims or packages that increase power or overall value may lead to higher premiums. That said, options that improve visibility and safety may be eligible for auto insurance discounts.
Does the Toyota RAV4 qualify for auto insurance discounts?
You could save money on car insurance for your Toyota RAV4 if it comes equipped with these safety features.
- New car discount
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Passive restraint discount (Airbags, motorized seat belts, etc.)
- Emergency roadside assistance discount
Toyota RAV4 safety & reliability ratings
The Toyota RAV4 has been around since 1994 and it is currently in its fifth generation. The compact SUV is known for its spacious interior and long list of standard features. In 2016, there were over 307,000 sales in the United States alone.
SUVs generally hold up well in the event of an accident, and the RAV4 is no exception. It holds a 9.3/10 rating from U.S. News and J.D. Power, along with the highest possible ratings in each IIHS crash test category.
The 2018 Toyota RAV4 gets a solid 4/5 star reliability rating from U.S. News and J.D. Power, which is better than the majority of other vehicles in its class.
Toyota RAV4 maintenance
The Toyota RAV4 is a moderately-priced compact SUV that is built for families, road trips, daily driving and other low-risk activities. Besides its impressive 4/5 star reliability rating, this vehicle comes packed with a number of safety and driver assistance features to provide an enjoyable, hassle-free driving experience. While it shouldn’t require much maintenance to keep it running, regular service appointments can prevent long-term issues from arising. Here’s what you need to know:
- Toyota recommends an oil change every 5,000 miles or 5 months, whichever comes first.
- Oil changes for a Toyota RAV4 should cost between $75 and $125, but your actual cost could vary.
- The RAV4 has an average annual repair cost of over $221, which is below average for similar vehicles.
- Consult your owners manual or contact your dealership for more information on the Toyota RAV4’s maintenance schedule.
Is an extended warranty worth it for the Toyota RAV4?
The RAV4 comes with Toyota’s standard 3-year/36,000 mile limited warranty, along with a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty and 5-year corrosion coverage. The standard warranty covers all parts other than normal wear such as oil and air filters, tires and so on. New Toyota vehicles also come with two years or 25,000 miles of ToyotaCare, which covers scheduled maintenance and 24/7 roadside assistance.
It’s unclear whether or not Toyota offers any extended warranty options, but you should ask your dealer for more information. That said, Toyota vehicles are extremely reliable and have low average repair costs, so you should decide whether the price of an extended warranty is worth the cost.
Compare Toyota competitors
Find out what else Toyota has to offer or explore other vehicles from different manufacturers. Compare all car makes & models
Introduced in 1994, the RAV4 is a popular compact crossover SUV that is designed for commuting, errands and any other daily driving. Like most Toyotas, the RAV4 is very reliable, with ratings far above other vehicles in its class. Its reliability is one of the many factors that may reduce the cost of coverage, but you can compare your options to find out how else you could save.
Frequently asked questions about the Toyota RAV4
Read more on this topic
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Compare Polestar car insurance rates
Discover this luxury electric brand’s typical car insurance premiums and factors that affect your rate.
Say car insurance review Sep 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Kia Mohave insurance rates
Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Kia Mohave.
Kia Niro insurance rates
Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Kia Niro.
Is online driver’s ed worth it?
Pick the right online driver’s ed program and learn how long it takes to complete one.
Ferrari F8 Tributo insurance rates
Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Ferrari F8 Tributo.
Compare Plymouth Rock vs Progressive car insurance
Who has the best car insurance, Plymouth Rock or Progressive?
Compare Ameriprise vs State Farm car insurance
Who has the best car insurance, Ameriprise or State Farm?
Ask an Expert