What to expect when insuring this high-performance SUV.
The new Alfa Romeo Stelvio rolled out in US showrooms this year. Made in Italy, the SUV is a luxury car, much like the rest of the Italian brand’s lineup.
The average cost of insuring an Alfa Romeo is $2,364 a year, or $197 a month. This is much higher than the national average of $1,300 a year, but that’s not unexpected. Alfa Romeo is a high-end brand, so you can expect to pay an insurance premium to match the sticker price.
How much does Alfa Romeo Stelvio car insurance cost?
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
Compare insurance providers that cover the Alfa Romeo Stelvio
How do I compare insurance for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio?
Your premium depends on your insurer, your driving history, where you live and the way you drive. Providers put their own emphasis on things like mileage and engine power.
For the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, the insurance rate is affected by these factors.
- Body type. The vehicle is a five-door crossover SUV. It’s classed as a compact luxury SUV, and is available in all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive. With these specs, it tends to be less expensive to insure than a sports car, but more than the average sedan.
- Fuel. The car runs on premium gas and has a turbocharged engine. It comes in two engine sizes: a 2.0L and a 2.9L. You’ll pay a higher premium to insure the more powerful engine.
- Theft rates. Generally, Alfa Romeo vehicles have low theft rates. When insurers aren’t worried about your car getting stolen, they won’t hike up your premium.
- Maintenance. Since the car is assembled in Italy, it may be expensive to replace or repair parts. However, Alfa Romeo has a standard warranty program for repairs and maintenance issues.
- Coverage. The Stelvio is a luxury car, so protect your asset by purchasing extra coverage.
- Insurer options. While the Stelvio is a high-performance car, it’s not a sports car, classic or exotic car, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding an insurance provider.
- Warranty. Alfa Romeo covers the Stelvio with a four-year or 50,000-mile basic warranty. This includes 24/7 towing assistance and a complimentary service within one year or 10,000 miles. Read the fine print of your warranty to avoid doubling up on insurance coverage.
- Manufacturer offer or unique discount. Currently, Alfa Romeo is offering a $409 per month low-mileage lease for 24 months for the 2019 Stelvio RWD. The total due at the lease signing is $4,428, which includes a down payment and the first month’s payment. To find out if you’re eligible, speak to your local dealer.
Does the Alfa Romeo Stelvio qualify for discounts?
Yes. Discounts vary between providers, but in most cases, you can save 5% to 30% for kitting it out with sophisticated safety features. With the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, you may be able to score these discounts.
- Anti-theft discount.
- Automatic wipers and wiper discount.
- Passive restraint discount.
How reliable is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio?
Before you get behind the wheel, you want to know your car is not only safe and reliable but also lives up to the manufacturer’s claims.
- Safety. The Stelvio hasn’t undergone crash testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). It’s a luxury car that was only recently released in the US, so that’s not unusual. Edmunds noted that the Stelvio has an “overly sensitive brake pedal.”
- Reliability. US News ranked the Stelvio as #10 in its luxury compact SUVs category. It gave the car a score of 8 out of 10 for its performance, power, agility, design and long list of standard features, but said the cabin quality was below average.
- Recalls. To date, the 2019 Stelvio hasn’t had any recalls, and no consumer complaints have been recorded. However, there were four recalls for the 2018 model. They involve issues with the windshield wipers, lights, braking performance and “corrosion at the connectors,” which would cause the trunk to open.
The Stelvio is on the pricier side to insure, but its rates reflect its status as a luxury car from Alfa Romeo. The SUV comes standard with a four-year warranty and suite of safety features which can help reduce insurance rates.
To purchase a policy that best suits your needs, be sure to compare insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out: