Blue from American Express® Card review
A no-annual-fee card with 2x points on Amex Travel and no other travel benefits.
finder.com’s rating: 2.6 / 5
- Get this card if you want a simple Amex travel card with a $0 annual fee.
- Pick something else if you want more robust rewards, an intro APR on purchases and balance transfers or cash back.
- Apply for this card with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 2x
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
With the Blue from American Express® Card, you’ll earn Membership Rewards points on travel and everyday purchases. Every dollar you spend through American Express Travel earns you 2 points, and all other purchases earn you 1 point. You can redeem your points for gift cards, travel rewards, shopping and more.
And basically, that’s it. There’s no welcome offer. No bonus points on select categories of purchases. No intro APR on balance transfers and purchases. You’ll even pay a fee for foreign transactions, which can make using your card while traveling abroad expensive.
If you’re looking for an Amex card with more substance, look into the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card. It comes with no annual fee, lets you earn double points at US supermarkets and gets you a welcome offer and intro APR.
How to apply for Blue from American Express® Card
- Visit the American Express website.
- Select the Blue from American Express® Card from the list of credit cards and click Apply now.
- Fill out the form with your name, date of birth, income and other requested information.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Blue from American Express® Card?
American Express automates conditional approval online, which means you could see a decision in minutes. If additional review is needed, it may take up to a few weeks.
After you’re approved, you should receive your card in the mail within 7 to 10 business days.
Blue from American Express® Card benefits
- Earn membership rewards points. Get 2x points on bookings through American Express Travel and 1x points on all other purchases. Redeem your points for gift cards, shopping, travel rewards and more.
You’ll also like …
- No annual fee. The Blue from American Express® Card is a simple card with a $0 annual fee.
- Roadside and global assistance. If you’re stranded on the road, call for roadside assistance with towing, changing a tire or charging your car battery. When you travel more than 100 miles from home, call the global assistance hotline for medical, legal, financial or other services you might need.
- Travel accident insurance. Get up to $250,000 in coverage for accidental death and dismemberment on reservations fully paid for with your card. You’re also covered against theft or damage when you rent a car with your card.
- Purchase protection. Get extended warranties and return protection that helps you return an item within 90 days of purchase, even if the merchant won’t accept it. Enroll with ShopRunner for free expedited two-day shipping and free returns with select online retailers.
- Fraud protection. With Blue from American Express® Card, you aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges on your card.
What to watch out for
- No welcome offer. You won’t get an intro APR period or bonus rewards at signup.
- Steep penalties for late payments. Late or returned payments could result in a penalty APR as high as 29.24% variable. Fees for late and returned payments are as high as $40.
- International transaction fees. If you use your card while traveling internationally, watch for a 2.7% fee on each transaction.
No annual fee credit cards
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for Blue from American Express® Card, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US citizen or legal resident of the US.
Required documents and information
- Name and contact information
- Email and phone number
- Annual income and income source
- Date of birth and Social Security number
What credit score do I need?
You’re welcome to apply with a credit score in the low 600s. But to get a high credit limit and low APR, apply with a good to excellent score of 670 or higher.
Blue from American Express® Card reviews and complaints
Many customers say they like this no-hassle card’s unlimited points potential, decent APR and no annual fee. Others say that late fees are high among similar cards and that a welcome offer wouldn’t hurt. Overall, simplicity appears to win out among cardholders.
The American Express Company has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1948 and earns an overall A+ rating as of August 2021. However, 90% of its reviews are negative and it has nearly 3,400 customer complaints. Amex cardholders in general complain of rude customer service reps, missing statement credit and issues disputing charges.
The company earns a Trustpilot score of 1.9 out of 5 as of August 2021. Many negative reviews cite unhelpful customer service and inflexible company policies. Positive reviews say the company employs pleasant customer service representatives. Overall, your mileage may vary with American Express customer support.
I got the card. Now what?
- Set up autopay. Sign up for automatic payments through your online account or the Amex mobile app to avoid missing a due date.
- Avoid paying interest. Pay your balance within your grace period of 25 days to avoid unnecessary interest on your purchases.
- Avoid paying fees. You’ll pay up to $40 for late and returned payments. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Enroll with ShopRunner. With ShopRunner, you get free two-day shipping with more than 100 online retailers. If you don’t like the item, ship it back for free.
- Get support. Call American Express customer service at 1-800-528-4800 or reach a rep through online chat.
The Blue from American Express® Card offers membership rewards and payment flexibility with a $0 annual fee. But you’ll find stronger no-annual-fee cards out there offering more robust rewards.
If you like the Amex brand, consider the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card, which offers a welcome offer, more membership points earnings per dollar and a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months, reverting to 12.99% to 23.99% variable APR thereafter.
Common questions about the Blue from American Express® Card
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.