Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
American Express mobile app review
Simplify your credit card payments and account monitoring.
NEW! Amex Send & Split feature
Starting November 2020, this new feature allows eligible American Express cardholders to send money to PayPal and Venmo accounts of friends and family directly through the Amex mobile app. The cool thing about this is that you won’t pay the PayPal or the Venmo fees. Although PayPal may charge fees when you send money to a non-US PayPal account.
With this feature, you can also split purchases with your friends and family and get paid back as a statement credit on your Amex card account. What’s more, even if you split the cost you still earn all the rewards on the purchase.
How to enroll with Amex Send & Split
To use this feature, you must enroll. Here’s how:
- Log in to the Amex App.
- Click on the Account tab.
- Select Amex Send & Split and enroll.
- Log in to your Venmo or PayPal account to link.
Benefits of the American Express mobile app
If you own an Amex card or if you’re looking to get one, you can simplify your online banking with the Amex mobile app. Through your smart device, you can:
- Monitor your account. Track your spending, view your last six months of debit and credit transactions and get notifications when you make a purchase.
- Make payments. Pay your balance with a single tap on your smartphone. With the app, you can make the minimum payment, you can pay the remaining balance, pay your full balance or enter another amount to pay.
- Secure login. Use your fingerprint or face ID to log in. But your smartphone needs to support these features.
- Find Amex offers. Tap the Amex Offers button to browse active offers and earn points or cash back on your purchases.
- Track your rewards points. Monitor your rewards points balance and redeem points through the app.
- Electronic statements. Get your monthly statements as a PDF on your app. You can also set alerts to inform you every time your statement is available.
- Use the app to activate your new Amex card. The app allows you to activate your replaced or renewed card.
I can’t find the Amex mobile app on the online stores. How can I download it?
Text MOBILE to 86509 and you’ll get a link to download on your mobile device.
Drawbacks of the American Express mobile app
Actually, there are no drawbacks to using the American Express mobile app. You can do most of your credit card banking with your fingertips.
In general, the Amex mobile app has positive reviews. Users love the interface and all the perks, including monitoring your account, making payments and tracking reward points. Some users complain about the difficulty to redeem membership points through the app. But keep in mind that this is an app and it gets constant updates, so expect any issues to be resolved in the future.
The J.D. Power’s credit card mobile app satisfactory study from 2019 has put the American Express mobile app in second place with a consumer rating of five power circles.
Compare American Express credit cards
If you already own an Amex card you can always add another card to your wallet. With the Amex mobile app, you can simplify your finances and having multiple cards shouldn’t be an issue.
Downloading the American Express mobile app would be a convenient way of managing your card’s finances and making payments. But if you don’t have a card yet, make sure to compare your credit card options until you find one that works for you.
More guides on Finder
Best credit card combinations
Use these credit card combinations to boost your rewards earnings.
Kachinga Prepaid Mastercard review
Teach your kid to save, spend and give wisely with this prepaid debit card and mobile app.
Charity Charge Business Mastercard® review
A small business credit card that automatically donates your cashback rewards to charities.
Stash debit card review
The Stash debit card earns fractional shares as rewards, but balances don’t earn interest.
Gusto Wallet review
Get paid through Gusto? This new checking and savings account combo might be for you.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Mercari review: How it works, pros, cons and more
Is Mercari the best secondhand app to buy or sell your goods? See Mercari pros and cons, reviews and complaints and general FAQs to decide.
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Vitagene COVID-19 test kit review
With a 99% accuracy rate, this at-home test is one of the most reliable on the market.
Ask an Expert