Credit card hotel promotions 2020
Reap the rewards of hotel promotions while using your credit card.
Travelling can be an expensive undertaking, especially once you factor in flights, accommodation, shopping and eating. Any chance to cut costs is a welcome relief and securing a hotel discount through your credit card can have a positive impact on your bottom line.
Discover available hotel promotions in Singapore, credit cards offering them, how to maximise these promotions and what to look out for.
Compare credit cards with hotel promotions
What’s the difference between a travel promotion and a hotel promotion?
Hotel promotions are a type of travel promotion. Travel promotions can include offers on flights, shuttle services, vehicle hires and sightseeing experiences, as well as hotels. Hotel promotions focus solely on accommodation and are typically calculated as a discount on your reservation.
These promotions are separate to travel packages, which allow you to pay one price for an entire holiday experience. Hotel promotions offer flexibility as they allow you to choose your own accommodation. Travel packages are far more rigid, as you’re often restricted to the accommodation set out in the terms of the deal.
What to look out for
- Booking dates. Promotions may only be available if you make a booking by a certain date or in a certain time frame. This period could be an introductory offer, only available when you sign up for a new card. If you’re planning a holiday and hoping to secure a discount on hotel bookings, be sure to double-check the expiry date of the promotion.
- Stay dates. Stay dates are different from booking dates. Stay dates are the days you’ll actually be in the hotel. Some hotels don’t accept promotions for certain times of the year, such as peak season and public holidays. Make sure you check your promotion for any blackout dates.
- Minimum spend. Some credit cards require you to reach a minimum spend requirement before a promotion becomes available. You’ll often find minimum spend requirements in the terms and conditions of a credit card. Don’t push yourself to spend extra just to secure a hotel promotion. Promotions are most valuable when you would be spending the money anyway.
- The credit card. It’s best not to choose a credit card solely for a promotion. While promotions and rewards are often beneficial, the most important credit card features are the rates, fees and compatibility with your financial situation. Hotel promotions can be a great way to distinguish between two similar credit cards, but shouldn’t be the motivating factor behind any application.
How to apply for a credit card promotion
First, you’ll need to apply for a credit card that offers a hotel promotion. Credit card applications vary from bank to bank, but there are some general rules of thumb. Typically you’ll need to:
- Be 21 years of age or older. Unless applying for a student card, where the minimum age tends to be 18.
- Prove your identity. You’ll need a passport or NRIC card and possibly proof of your address. Some credit cards are only available for Singaporean nationals and permanent residents. There are some cards that allow foreigners to apply, as long as they meet certain eligibility criteria.
- Meet the minimum income requirements. These vary from card to card. Some basic rewards cards have lower requirements, around the S$30,000 mark. Air miles credit cards and those offering more-comprehensive rewards schemes can have much higher income requirements (and typically higher annual fees).
Most hotel promotions are presented as a coupon code you apply at the payment step of the booking process. Promotions tend only to be valid if you pay for the hotel booking using the credit card offering the promotion.
The right credit card can help you save money on your accommodation, allowing you the freedom to use more of your holiday budget elsewhere. If you’re ready to save on hotel bookings, start comparing credit cards with hotel promotions now.
Frequently asked questions