Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best credit card hotel promotions 2021
Reap the rewards of hotel promotions while using your credit card.
Travelling can be expensive, especially once you factor in flights, accommodation, shopping and dining. Securing a hotel deal through your credit card can be a great way to cut the cost of your trip. Read on to discover some of the best credit cards with hotel promotions in Singapore.
Put simply, hotel promotions are a type of travel promotion. They focus solely on accommodation and are typically calculated as a discount on your reservation. Hotel promotions offer flexibility as they allow you to choose your own accommodation.
These promotions are separate to travel packages, which allow you to pay one price for an entire holiday experience. Travel promotions can include offers on flights, shuttle services, vehicle hires and sightseeing experiences, as well as hotels. These are more rigid, as you’re often restricted to the accommodation set out in the terms of the deal.
What to look out for
- Booking dates. Promotions may only be available if you make a booking by a certain date or in a certain time frame. This period could be an introductory offer, only available when you sign up for a new card. If you’re planning a holiday and hoping to secure a discount on hotel bookings, be sure to double-check the expiry date of the promotion.
- Stay dates. Stay dates are different from booking dates. Stay dates are the days you’ll actually be in the hotel. Some hotels don’t accept promotions for certain times of the year, such as peak season and public holidays. Make sure you check your promotion for any blackout dates.
- Minimum spend. Some credit cards require you to reach a minimum spend requirement before a promotion becomes available (compare cards with no minimum spend here). You’ll often find minimum spend requirements in the terms and conditions of a credit card. Don’t push yourself to spend extra just to secure a hotel promotion. Promotions are most valuable when you would be spending the money anyway.
- The credit card. It’s best not to choose a credit card solely for a promotion. While promotions and rewards are often beneficial, the most important credit card features are the rates, fees and compatibility with your financial situation. Hotel promotions can be a great way to distinguish between two similar credit cards, but shouldn’t be the motivating factor behind any application.
- Staycation offers. Today a number of credit card brands in Singapore have offers that can be used for holidays within the country. For example, with eligible HSBC credit cards, you can enjoy 7% off hotel bookings made via Agoda.
How to apply for a credit card promotion
First, you’ll need to apply for a credit card that offers a hotel promotion. Credit card applications vary from bank to bank, but there are some general rules of thumb. Typically you’ll need to:
- Be 21 years of age or older. Unless applying for a student card, where the minimum age tends to be 18.
- Prove your identity. You’ll need a passport or NRIC card and possibly proof of your address. Some credit cards are only available for Singaporean nationals and permanent residents. There are some cards that allow foreigners to apply, as long as they meet certain eligibility criteria.
- Meet the minimum income requirements. These vary from card to card. Some basic rewards cards have lower requirements, around the S$30,000 mark. Air miles credit cards and those offering more-comprehensive rewards schemes can have much higher income requirements (and typically higher annual fees).
Most hotel promotions are presented as a coupon code you apply at the payment step of the booking process. Promotions tend only to be valid if you pay for the hotel booking using the credit card offering the promotion.
The right credit card can help you save money on your accommodation, allowing you the freedom to use more of your holiday budget elsewhere. If you’re ready to save on hotel bookings, start comparing credit cards with hotel promotions now.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use multiple hotel promotions at once?
Most credit card promotions can’t be used in conjunction with other offers. It’s best to read the terms and conditions of your credit card and its promotions, to confirm this is the case for you. There are times when you’ll be able to use multiple promotions, but these tend to be seasonal offerings that must be used with a specific other promotion.
Can I book more than one room with a credit card promotion?
You can, but discounts are typically applied to the first room only. This means you’ll end up paying the regular price for any extra rooms. If your promotion code is reusable, it may be worthwhile completing two separate transactions so you get a discount on both rooms.
How can I find if a hotel has any blackout dates?
You’ll have to call the hotel, check its website or see if the dates are listed in the terms and conditions of the booking website you’re using. The easiest option is to call ahead so you can be certain whether your promotion is valid for the dates you wish to stay.
Do I have to pay on my credit card to take advantage of hotel promotions?
Yes, you’ll have to make your booking with the same credit card that’s offering your chosen hotel promotion.Back to top
More guides on Finder
YouTrip vs Credit Card
Both prepaid cards and credit cards give you the option to shop with ease – here’s how they compare.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Best student debit cards
Enjoy convenient payments and a wide range of benefits with debit cards options that match the fast-paced lifestyles of students and young adults.
Banks with Samsung Pay in Singapore
Check if your bank offers Samsung Pay and learn how to set up and use the digital wallet for contactless payments.
How to buy stocks online
Learn how to buy stocks online by following our 7 step guide for Singaporeans.
The top sites to buy coconut oil 2021
Coconut oil can be used in cooking, as a hair treatment and for your skin. These 8 online retailers provide the goods!
The top 10 sites to buy tartan skirts online 2021
With our list of retailers providing fab on-trend skirts, you’ll easily find tartan skirts in styles that are super-flattering.
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from Singapore
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
UOB Delight Credit Card Review
Get bonus rebates on groceries, contactless transactions and household bills with the UOB Delight Credit Card.