BNZ Personal Loans
With loan terms of 3 months to 5 years and flexible repayments, existing personal banking customers can apply for a BNZ personal loan
12.65% (students/graduates) - 17.85% (standard)
Interest Rate (p.a.)
Max. Loan Amount
Minimum Credit Score
|Product Name||BNZ Advanced Personal Loan|
|Interest Rate (p.a.)||12.65% (students/graduates) - 17.85% (standard)|
|Min. Loan Amount||$1,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||$30,000|
|Loan Term||3 months to 5 years|
|Turnaround Time||BNZ customers will get instant access to their money once the loan has been approved, or draw down within 21 days.|
With over 150 years of providing financial services to Kiwis, BNZ is one of New Zealand’s most well-known banks. As well as winning numerous awards for different areas of its business, It has a ‘more than just banking’ mantra, which is evident in the work that it does to support communities, charities and organisations.
You can apply for a personal loan if you’re an existing BNZ customer, and if you’re not, you may be interested in making the switch from your current bank. Read on to find out more about what a BNZ personal loan has to offer.
Features and benefits of a BNZ loan
- Flexible repayments. You won’t be penalised for making additional payments on your loan. If you have some extra cash in some months, transfer it to your loan so you can pay it off faster without early repayment fees.
- Choose a term to suit. With loan terms ranging from 3 months to 5 years, you can decide what suits your financial situation best.
- Manage your loan online. You can view your BNZ personal loan balance through internet banking and make repayments at any time.
- Top up your loan. If you need some extra money, you can apply to top up your loan either by phone or in a BNZ branch.
- Instant access to money. BNZ customers will get instant access to their money once the loan has been approved, or draw down within 21 days.
- Student and graduate special benefits. If you are a student, recent graduate or apprentice, you’ll enjoy the special interest rate of and the loan facility fee will be waived.
- Financial hardship variation. You can apply for hardship variation if at some point during your loan term you are having trouble meeting your payments due to factors such as loss of employment, illness or injury. If approved, BNZ will either postpone your payment obligations or reduce your payments by extending the loan term.
What can I use a BNZ personal loan for?
- Debt consolidation. BNZ personal loans can be used to consolidate debt that you have with different providers including credit cards, overdrafts, car loans and hire purchases. By consolidating these debts together you can have better control over your finances, only one repayment to worry about and you may end up saving money in interest and fees.
- Vehicle finance. By getting pre-approved for a BNZ personal loan, you can have confidence when shopping for your next vehicle.
- Home improvements. Use your BNZ personal loan to make renovations on your home.
- Other purchases and payments. You may also take out a loan to pay for a dream holiday, pay for medical costs or education fees, or for other purchases like new furniture.
How to apply for a loan from BNZ
Before you decide that a BNZ personal loan is right for you, compare the rates and terms against other lenders. If you are ready to apply, check that you meet the eligibility and documentation requirements below. BNZ doesn’t allow you to apply for a loan online, but you can either call 0800 800 667 or make an appointment at your local branch to start your application.
- You need to be at least 18 years or over
- Only existing BNZ personal banking customers are eligible for a personal loan
- You must be a New Zealand resident
- You must be able to pass a credit check
Information and documentation
- Identification. You will need to show BNZ proof of identification such as a passport or driver’s license.
- Income details. You will need to provide details of your employment and the income you receive.
- Expenses and debts. So that BNZ can decide if you are able to meet your loan repayments, you will need to outline your monthly financial commitments including your rent or mortgage, expenses, bills and debt payments.
What other products does BNZ offer?
- Everyday banking. Transactional accounts with a Visa debit card and savings accounts with bonus interest.
- Home loans. Whether you are a property investor or first-home buyer, BNZ has a range of mortgage options.
- Credit cards. Choose between a low-rate card to save on interest or a rewards card to earn Fly Buys points or cash rewards when you spend.
- Investments. Put your savings into a term deposit or managed fund to gain interest over a term that suits you.
- Insurance. BNZ provides insurance policies for health, life, travel, vehicle, boat, home and contents.
- International. Manage your foreign currency in a call account or term deposit.