How to send money to Zambia
Do you need to send funds to Zambia from New Zealand? These tips will help you save money.
Although it might seem like a complicated process, sending money from New Zealand to Zambia doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. If a friend or family member needs money quickly, you can use a money transfer service to convert your New Zealand dollars into Zambian kwachas. You’ll likely get a better interest rate and less fees, saving you money and getting more funds to your recipient in Zambia.
Compare money transfer services to Zambia
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Transfers involve one person providing funds to a bank or an independent money transfer company that then converts the money to another currency–in this case, the Zambian kwacha. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account. Your transfer can be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for them to pick up at a nearby location.Back to top
What criteria to use to compare transfer companies when sending and receiving money between Zambia and New Zealand?
- Exchange Rates. Exchange rates were relatively consistent but that you could get the best rate using a money transfer company that got its rates through the bank. The drawback to this was usually the time delays in sending money.
- Pickup Methods. Zambia offers a robust financial infrastructure and allows someone to receive money in their bank account, as well as cash at an agent or branch location.
- Fees. Fees are much higher if you want to send her money with a quick delivery and a low amounts,but are generally standard.
- Bank to Bank Benefits. There is no clear bank to bank benefit that you could find through research.
- Turnaround Time. The turnaround time can range from minutes to five days in sending money to Zambia.
- Transfer Methods. There are a couple of options through the services including branch, bank accounts, online, phone and agent.
- Transfer Options. Because you want to pay off debt, you will most probably want to find a recurring payment solution. You can also see the value of a currency option so you can fix your rates when they are low.
- Minimum and Maximum Transfer Amounts. Although some companies specify these, the lower the transfer amount, the higher the fees can be.
- Customer Service. MoneyGram and Western Union have been around for years and offer vast support structures worldwide, whilst Xpress Money is newer with support features like live chat. Citibank also has a huge reach with customer support ranging across global boundaries.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are a flexible scale that determines how much the currency of one country is worth when converted to the currency of another currency. The New Zealand dollar (NZD) has traditionally been strong against the Zambian kwacha (ZMW), meaning that you will get more kwachas for every dollar you transfer. Interest rates, economic stability and inflation rates all influence the exchange rate between New Zealand and Zambia.
What are your options for sending money to Zambia from New Zealand?
- Money transfer services. Moneygram, Western Union and Xpress Money are able to send money to Zambia.
- Banks. Citibank has branches in Zambia, but requires a visit to the branch to send and receive money. Commonwealth Bank allows you to send money to Zambia and receive it and can also be used to send money to someone with a supported bank account in Zambia.
What are the steps to send money to Zambia using various services?
- Browse the table above and compare each provider’s rates, fees and delivery speed to find a service that works for you and your recipient.
- Click Go to Site when you’ve found a good provider.
- Create an account and enter your personal information, including your bank account information if required.
- Enter your recipient’s information.
- Pay for the transfer.
- Keep your tracking number and give it to your recipient if they are planning to pick up cash. This helps you ensure your transfer goes through smoothly.
Tips for picking up cash in Zambia
Here’s what you’ll need when picking up cash in Zambia:
- A government-issued ID.
- The tracking or reference number.
In addition, you should follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
How to handle an emergency money transfer
If your friend or family member needs cash immediately, there are money transfer companies that can perform a same-day transfer. Keep in mind that these will have subprime exchange rates and higher fees than transfers that are made over the course of a few days. Gauge your need and the total cost of the transfer before committing. If it can wait, you’ll likely save money and be able to transfer more than with an emergency transfer.
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert