Gem Visa credit card
Get 6 months interest free for Visa purchases $250 or more with the Gem Visa credit card, and an even longer interest-free period at select New Zealand retailers.
Gem Visa is an alternative to traditional bank-issued credit cards worth considering if you are looking to pay as little interest as possible.
|Product Name||Gem Visa|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||25.99% p.a.|
|Annual Fee||$52 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% of transaction value or $20, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$15|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
Benefits of Gem Visa
- 6 months interest free. When you make a purchase of $250 or more, both in New Zealand and around the world, you won’t pay any interest for the first 6 months.
- 55 days of 0% interest on all purchases. For purchases under $250, you get 55 days interest-free as long as you pay the Payment to Reduce Further Interest amount indicated on your Gem Visa statement.
- Long-term finance. When you use your card at one of around 2,000 participating stores in New Zealand, you can take advantage of long-term finance interest-free deals. The types of deals include interest-free for a while, interest-free instalments, or interest-free deferred. Stores that offer Gem Visa interest-free finance options include Mitre 10 and Michael Hill. You can also use Gem Visa at participating dentists.
- Instant cardless payments. Once approved, you can start making purchases straight away without waiting for your physical card to arrive. In addition, the instant cardless payment feature allows you to shop up to a maximum of $80.
Features of the Gem Visa
- Fast application response. In many cases, Gem replies within 60 seconds. However, if further information is required, you may not receive approval for a few days.
- Mobile payments. Connect your Gem Visa to your Google Pay, Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, or Garmin Pay accounts to make convenient payments without needing to pull out your wallet.
- Payment options. To make payments on your Gem Visa, you can do so by Internet banking, phone banking, direct debit, automatic payment or in person at your local PostShop.
- Fees. When you are approved for a Gem Visa, you are charged a $55 establishment fee and an annual account fee of $52. Additional fees apply for cash advances, international transactions, over the counter payments and replacement cards.
- Interest rate. After the no-interest term expires for purchases, the prevailing interest rate is 25.99%.
- No liability for fraud. As long as you have not contributed to fraudulent activity and notify Gem as soon as possible, you will not be held liable for fraudulent transactions.
- Latitude app. The Latitude app allows you to manage your cards and personal loans in one place. Once you download it, you can link your Gem Visa to view your available credit and transaction history.
Gem Visa Insurance
Gem Visa is not currently issuing new policies for Shopper’s Protection Insurance. Existing customers can still check out their policy document and make a claim.
How can I apply for a Gem credit card?
If you have compared other credit cards and have decided the Gem Visa is suitable, you can hit the Apply Now button on the website to be taken to the application form. Make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria and have the required information and documents ready to go.
To be eligible for a Gem Visa, you must:
- Be 18 years or over
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Meet the credit and lending criteria
Necessary documents and information
During the application process, you are asked to supply:
- Your email address
- Your driver’s licence or passport
- Proof of address
- The name of your employer and their contact details
- Your income
- Details of expenses and debts
Once you submit your application, you receive an approved, declined or need more information response within one minute. Gem Visa requires further information in some situations, and it will contact you by email to request these details.
The bottom line
It’s essential to understand how the Gem Visa works before you apply. Some may think that it’s just the same as any other credit card, but there are some differences. For one, Gem Visa states in its terms and conditions that if you miss a payment, you could be forced to pay your entire balance immediately. To ensure you avoid this, pay at least the minimum amount before the due date each month.
While you can enjoy interest-free purchases and deferred payment deals, Gem Visa’s high interest rate for purchases means that you pay more in interest than you would with a low-interest credit card. The standard interest rate is 25.99% p.a., compared to some rates as low as 9.95% p.a. for low rate credit cards.