How to send money to Switzerland
Find the quickest and cheapest way to make an international transfer to Switzerland.
Making international money transfers doesn’t have to be a headache. With a number of banks and independent money transfer companies able to exchange your European euros for Swiss francs, you have plenty of options to choose from. All you have to do is spend some time considering the cost of the transfer before making a final decision so you can ensure you get the best deal when sending money to Switzerland.
Compare international money transfers to Switzerland
Banks vs. money transfer services
Many banks offer money transfer services to Switzerland, but that doesn’t make them the best deal. They often charge high fees, have subpar exchange rates and process transfers slowly. Another option you might want to consider is an independent money transfer company. These tend to offer all around better deals than banks, and many have different features that set them apart when you want to send money to Switzerland.
Options for sending money to Switzerland from Ireland
- Bank transfers. Many major Irish banks can safely wire your funds to Switzerland. However, the frustratingly high fees and weaker exchange rates you’ll receive by going through your bank may not make this your first choice.
- Online money transfer services. These specialists offer more affordable transfers than banks, allowing you to quickly and easily manage your transactions from home. With competitive exchange rates and lower fees, you can send funds from your bank account or visit an agent location.
- Providers with cash pickup. Trusted providers like Western Union and MoneyGram give your recipient fast access to the cash you send — sometimes within minutes. However, services typically cost more than an online transfer specialist and vary by where you’re transferring your money and how you’re paying for it.
- PayPal transfers. Not just for online purchases, PayPal offers transfers to more than 100 countries and supports multiple currencies. Its exchange rates are often better than those you’ll get from a bank but not quite as strong as rates from money transfer companies. PayPal calculates its transfer fee as a percentage of the amount you’re sending, which means it’s often better for sending smaller amounts of money.
- International money order. You can get this type of money order from your bank and send it overseas to your recipient, who then cashes it in at their own bank. While more secure than a personal check, it’s a slower option than using an electronic transfer. It also costs a little more — you’ll have to purchase the check, and your recipient may be charged a fee by their own bank cashed.
Foreign exchange rates explained
How to send money to Switzerland
- Select a money transfer provider from the table above.
- Click Go to site when you’re ready to make an account.
- Start a transfer by entering how much you want to send and your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transfer and save your tracking number.
Same-day transfers to Switzerland
If you need to send a same-day transfer to Switzerland, you’ll want to take the time to compare rates. Some companies will charge higher fees or offer less favorable exchange rates when you need quick processing time, so you’ll need to be on the lookout for a good deal if you don’t want to break the bank with a money transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Switzerland
Although Switzerland is a relatively safe country, there is always risk when picking up cash. Be sure to bring a friend along with you to an agent location in a safe area, and don’t take too long to deposit your cash into your bank account. If you do need to go somewhere with a large amount of cash, keep your bag close by and avoid taking out large amounts of money in front of strangers. This should help you minimize the risk of being stolen from, but as with everything, always remain aware of your surroundings and vigilant.
Making a money transfer to Switzerland is easy enough, but you’ll have quite a few options to choose from. Narrow down your choices by comparing exchange rates, fees and processing times. And to get the best deal when making a money transfer to Switzerland, learn more about money transfers before selecting a provider.
Cash pickup locations in Switzerland
More guides on Finder
EUR to THB Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Thai Baht. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to THB.
EUR to PKR Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Pakistani Rupee. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PKR.
EUR to PLN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Polish Zloty. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to PLN.
EUR to HUF Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Hungarian Forint. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to HUF.
EUR to HKD exchange rate
Live exchange rates US dollar to Hong Kong Dollar. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to HKD.
EUR to CNY Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Chinese Yuan Renminbi. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to CNY.
EUR to BRL Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Brazilian Real. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to BRL.
EUR to CAD exchange rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Canadian Dollar. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to CAD.
EUR to INR Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Euro to Indian Rupee. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to INR.
OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers review
Our in-depth review of the OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration.
Ask an Expert