How to send money to El Salvador
International money transfers don’t have to cost a lot. Find an affordable way to send money to El Salvador.
Compare international money transfers to El Salvador
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees and other details for sending funds to El Salvador with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
Many major Hong Kong banks offer the option to send funds to El Salvador, but they typically charge high transfer fees.
A reputable money transfer specialist can typically offer lower fees and faster turnaround, saving you money and putting more dollars into your recipient’s pocket.Back to top
Why does El Salvador use the US dollar?
After suffering through a devastating civil war ended in 1992, El Salvador’s government put in place a series of acts designed to spark the economy, including privatizing the country’s banking system. In an attempt to further grow the economy, the country “dollarized” its currency system at the start of 2001, introducing the US dollar as its official currency. A downside of this system is that El Salvador has no control over its own monetary policy, including printing its own currency.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to El Salvador
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer limits. Is the minimum transfer too high for your needs? Your best option might depend on how much you want to send.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
However, most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can fluctuate with the market. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are the ways that I can send money to El Salvador?
- Bank transfers. Many major Hong Kong banks will allow you to wire money to banks in El Salvador. However, a downside is the frustratingly high fees you’ll pay.
- Online money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to El Salvador from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from agent locations in El Salvador.
- Peer-to-peer apps. Venmo, Circle and PayPal are just a few of the apps you can use to send money to El Salvador.
- International checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
Steps to send money to El Salvador
- Choose a transfer provider that has the delivery speed, rates and fees you need.
- Register with the provider, including your name, address, contact information and date of birth. A valid photo ID may also be required.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and contact details. You may also need to include their bank account information depending on the type of transfer.
- Enter the amount you want to transfer and complete your transaction. You should receive and email with a tracking or receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in El Salvador
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to El Salvador — for example, if a friend traveling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the transfer fee and delivery speeds against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Tips for picking up cash in El Salvador
Whether picking up funds in San Salvador, San Miguel or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Cash pickup locations in El Salvador
Read more on this topic
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
Ask an Expert