Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
McLaren 650S car insurance rates
Covering this swank British supercar is an investment in protection.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The McLaren 650S is a true luxury sports car — fast, cool and expensive to insure. It’s got an MSRP of $273,000 with an average monthly insurance payment of around $1,040. But keep in mind that your exact rate will depend on several factors, including your driving history and location.
Compare insurance for your McLaren 650S
How do I compare insurance for the McLaren 650S?
The McLaren 650S claims to be “the world’s most versatile supercar,” designed to be lightweight and fast. Here are some points to keep in mind while shopping for insurance.
- Body type. Though it’s a coupe, it’s considered a sports coupe and therefore more expensive to cover. Its convertible model — the 650S Spider — will likely cost more.
- Fuel. The 650S is gasoline powered, with a 16 mpg city rating and a 22 mpg highway rating. This is about average compared to other coupes.
- Maintenance. Repairs can be pricey and inconvenient, as they call for specific parts only available at McLaren Retailers, and handled by academy-trained technicians.
- Coverage. Typical insurance doesn’t typically provide enough coverage for McLarens. Look to luxury providers to get full coverage.
- Warranty. McLaren’s limited warranty covers 3 years, unlimited miles and includes roadside assistance so you won’t need to purchase that as part of a separate policy. Plus, there’s an option to purchase a 12-year Extended Service Contract if you live in Australia or North America.
- Drive type. This car has rear-wheel drive and a seven-speed manual transmission. Manuals are typically cheaper than automatics to insure due to a less expensive gearbox.
- Primary or secondary vehicle. Consider if the 650S will be your main car or if it’s joining a collection. Sometimes, insurance companies will lower rates on a second car since you’ll be driving it less.
McLaren 650S car insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
Does the McLaren 650S qualify for discounts?
The McLaren 650S is equipped with a few safety features that could qualify for safe car discounts and antitheft discounts:
- Remote anti-theft alarm system
- 2 front headrests
- 4-wheel ABS
- Turn signal mirrors
- LED Headlamp
- Daytime running lights
- Engine immobilizer
- Traction control
- Stability control
Why is insurance so high for the McLaren 650S?
The Mclaren 650S costs more to insure because it’s a premium supercar built for speed and is considered high-risk. Also, this vehicle requires academy-trained technicians and premium parts, hiking up the costs to repair.
How reliable is the McLaren 650S?
McLarens aren’t typically targeted by thieves. And the company has a reputation for selling vehicles with superior engineering and specialty design.
- Safety. The 650S isn’t rated by the IIHS or NHTSA since only 500 of them have ever been released.
- Reliability. These cars were built with precision and quality. Have confidence that your 650S’s can take you from point A to point B quickly.
- Recalls. McLaren’s a relatively young company, so its recall history is scant. In the last couple of years, some of its models have been recalled for faulty airbags, but the 650S has stayed in the clear so far.
If you’re in the market for a McLaren, factor high insurance costs into your budget and shop around for car insurance rates to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
Frequently asked questions about the McLaren 650S
More guides on Finder
A new virtual debit card for kids that’s free to use when you make at least one purchase a month.
Acceptance car insurance review May 2021
Consider Acceptance if you’re a high-risk driver, but prepare for the possibility of a negative customer service experience.
What is a combined single limit car insurance policy?
This type of limit applies to liability coverage, but it’s most common with commercial car insurance.
Compare the best online car insurance companies
Compare the 5 best digital-focused car insurance companies.
Can I get car insurance premium forgiveness during the coronavirus outbreak?
Car insurance companies are chiming in with payment extensions or waived fees for financial relief.
Compare crossover insurance
Make sure your insurance covers your crossover for wherever you want to take it.
QBE renters insurance review
No-frills renters policy in 48 states, though you can’t get a quote online.
Compare car insurance after a speeding ticket
A speeding ticket likely means higher car insurance rates, unless it’s your first offense.
Does my annual mileage affect my car insurance?
Driving less than 8,000 miles a year could qualify you for a low mileage discount.
Does car insurance cover borrowing a car?
Car insurance follows the car, meaning your policy is used when you lend your car out.
Ask an Expert