Paying tax on savings account interest | Finder UK

Paying tax on interest from a savings account

Just like any other source of income, interest earned from most UK savings accounts are subject to tax.

When you file your income tax return at the end of each financial year, you need to declare all your sources of income, including any income earned from investments. If you have money in a savings account that has earned interest in the previous financial year, you’ll also need to declare this amount and pay tax on savings interest – unless it’s in an ISA, where you don’t pay tax on any interest you earn.

At what rate is the interest taxed?

The amount of tax that applies to the interest you earn on your savings account will be determined by your overall taxable income. The total income you earn each year determines the tax rate you must pay, and HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC’s) tax rates for the 2020-2021 financial year, which you can see below.

England & Wales

BandTaxable incomeTax rate
Personal AllowanceUp to £12,5000%
Basic rate£12,501 to £50,00020%
Higher rate£50,001 to £150,00040%
Additional rateover £150,00045%


BandTaxable incomeScottish tax rate
Personal AllowanceUp to £12,5000%
Basic rate£12,501 to £14,58519%
Higher rate£14,586 to £25,15820%
Additional rate£25,159 to £43,43021%
Higher rate£43,431 to £150,00041%
Top rateover £150,00046%

Why do I need to declare interest?

Under its rules regarding investment income, HMRC requires all UK residents to declare any interest they receive as income. This is because you’ve earned that money, in a similar way to you earning your salary or wages. Any you must pay tax on any money earned throughout the financial year.

What interest do I pay tax on?

You need to declare all money you’ve earned in your tax return, including the following:

  • Interest from savings accounts and fixed-rate bonds held with banks and building societies.
  • Interest received from a children’s savings account opened or operated by you.
  • Interest paid or credited to you by HMRC.
  • Interest earned from foreign sources (although tax offsets may be available).
  • Money you’ve earned from selling investments like shares.

How do I report my interest earned?

You should declare the interest you earn can on your annual income tax return. Remember, you don’t need to pay tax on the amount you deposit into your account – it is only the interest you earned on that money that is subject to tax. If you need help declaring your interest and claiming eligible tax deductions, get in touch with an accountant.

What about interest earned in a joint account?

HMRC assumes that joint account holders are equal owners of an account and requires them to pay tax accordingly. So, for example, if you have a joint savings account with your spouse, the interest paid will be split equally between the two account holders – 50% each. When it comes to completing a tax return, each partner or spouse need only claim their share of the interest earned on the joint savings account.

What about interest earned on a children’s savings account?

Taxes will apply to a child’s savings account in two instances. First, if they earn more than their personal allowance, such as from a fund in their name. Second, if they earn more than £100 a year in interest from money given by their parents or legal guardians. The thinking behind this is to stop parents using their children as a tax-free extra allowance. This rule doesn’t apply if the money is given by another relative or a friend.

We show offers we can track - that's not every product on the market...yet. Unless we've said otherwise, products are in no particular order. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations of these) aren't ratings, though we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it. This is subject to our terms of use. When you make major financial decisions, consider getting independent financial advice. Always consider your own circumstances when you compare products so you get what's right for you.

More guides on Finder

  • Millionaire calculator: How long would it take to save a million?

    Use our calculator to find out how long it would take you to save up a million pounds based on the interest on your savings account.

  • Compare the best business credit cards of 2021

    Saving time on expense reports and streamlining your cash flow are just a couple of the many perks you could enjoy with a business credit card. Compare interest rates and check your eligibility today.

  • How many bank accounts do I need?

    It’s common to have a few different bank accounts that each have a different purpose. Here’s how you may benefit from having multiple bank accounts and the traps to avoid.

  • Are pension contributions taxable?

    Find out about the tax that you pay on your pension including how much the allowance is and how you claim tax relief on your contributions.

  • Types of bank accounts

    Should you get a current account, a savings account, or both? What about joint accounts and premium accounts? Banking can be messy if you don’t know the jargon. This guide looks at the main types of bank accounts and what services they offer to help you figure out what you need exactly.

  • Compare the best 3-year fixed-rate bonds

    Discover how to find the best fixed-rate bonds and how they compare to other savings accounts.

  • Best instant access savings accounts for the over 50s UK 2021

    Are you aged over 50 and looking for an easy access account for your savings? Our guide examines how you can choose the best option.

  • Best savings accounts

    With many types of saving account available, we look at what each one entails and which option could be the best for you.

  • Can I open a bank account for my child?

    You’ll need an adult co-signer and proof of ID to open an account. And you may need to pay taxes. Learn what to look for and how to get started.

  • Best bank accounts for kids

    All you need to know about current accounts for under 18s, from why they can make a well-informed choice to what you need to open one.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site