Compare breakdown cover
Find the right breakdown cover for you and start protecting yourself against the unknown.
Is breakdown cover worth it?
In a nutshell, yes. You never know what could happen out on the roads, and if your car suddenly packs it in, the roadside is no place to hang about. It’s also particularly relevant for you if your driving an older vehicle.
Having breakdown cover means that you can call someone to help you, either by fixing your car, helping you get to a garage or helping you back home.
You may find that breakdown cover is already written into your car insurance policy. So firstly check your policy documents to make sure you’re not spending unnecessarily.
What types of breakdown cover are there?
There is nothing worse than needing a tow and realising your breakdown policy doesn’t cover you for it. There are different types of breakdown cover out there so make sure you understand what you’re signing up to.
There are typically five types of breakdown cover out there:
- Roadside assistance. This is the most basic form of breakdown cover and it should be included within all breakdown policies. It ensures that if you breakdown over a quarter of a mile from your home someone will be sent to assist you on the road. If your car cannot be fixed on on the roadside then you’ll need National recovery cover to get your car towed.
- National recovery. This type of cover means that if your car can’t be fixed on the roadside, someone will tow it to a garage or your home.
- Home start. This provides you with cover should your vehicle breakdown at home or within a quarter of a mile radius of your home.
- European cover. As the name suggests this type of cover protects you on the roads when your driving in Europe.
- Onward travel. If you’re car can’t be fixed on the side of the road then having onward cover means that you will be offered a way to continue your journey. Some companies offer to reimbursed you for public transport costs or offer a replacement car hire whilst yours is being repaired.
What are my breakdown cover options?
You can either take out breakdown cover to cover a vehicle or a person. Prices for personal breakdown cover tend to be higher but if you’re someone who drives more than one car then it may suit your needs.
- Vehicle breakdown cover. This is the most common type of breakdown cover. In this instance cover is attached to a certain vehicle only.
- Personal breakdown cover. This is breakdown cover attached to an individual, so you’ll be protected no matter which vehicle you drive.
How can I save money on my breakdown cover?
There are a few tips and trick to think about before you sign the dotted line. We want you to get the best price for your cover so check out our handy hints below:
- Age of your car. If your car is brand new, it might be worth opting for a more basic form of cover for the first couple of years. With a new car you’re less likely to need the full works. If your car is relatively old, then it might be time to think about increasing your breakdown cover.
- Check your car insurance policy. You might find that your car insurance policy already includes breakdown cover so you don’t need to spend the extra cash. Although it is important to check what is included within this cover exactly, you may find it only covers the basics.
- Joint policy. Often it can be cheaper to buy a joint or family policy rather than individual policies for each person.
Read more on this topic
Finder Home Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020 See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 home insurance customers – who's got you feeling right at home?
Finder Travel Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020 See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 travel insurance customers – who will you go to the ends of the world for?
Finder Life Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020 See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 life insurance customers – who's got your heart racing?
Finder Pet Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020 See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 pet insurance customers – who's the top dog?
Finder Car Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020 See the full results of our independent customer satisfaction survey of 750 car insurance customers – who raced to the top spot?
Finder Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020 Looking for insurance or thinking of changing providers? Here's what customers had to say about some of the UK's top insurers.
Methodology for insurance ratings You’ll find customer satisfaction star ratings on some of our insurance companies reviews. Here’s how we came up with them.
Top 50 UK insurance companies Here's our list of the top insurance providers in the UK, and how you can contact them.
John Lewis Insurance promo code Get a big discount on John Lewis insurance by using these discount and promo codes.
Endsleigh discount codes You could save on a range of insurance policies with our Endsleigh insurance discount codes.