Volkswagen insurance rates
Find out what to expect and how much it costs to get insurance for your VW below.
From the introduction of the first VW Beetle in 1952, Volkswagen has enjoyed a cult following in the UK. Today, Volkswagen is the second best-selling car brand in the UK, with the VW Golf and VW Polo both in the top ten best-selling models.
See how to get cover and how much Volkswagen car insurance costs below.
What's in this guide?
- Where can I find Volkswagen car insurance?
- What's the average insurance cost for a Volkswagen?
- Companies that provide cover for a Volkswagen
- Find your Volkswagen model
- How a vehicle from Volkswagen affects the cost of insurance
- Are there any standout models?
- About the Volkswagen brand
- Volkswagen car facts
- Pros and cons of insuring a Volkswagen
- Bottom line
- Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
- Frequently asked questions about Volkswagen
Where can I find Volkswagen car insurance?
You can get Volkswagen insurance from a range of providers in the UK. If you want to get a quote on insurance for your VW, you can compare car insurance quotes here.
Volkswagen UK also offer insurance, which is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.
What’s the average insurance cost for a Volkswagen?
According to our insurance quote comparison, we found that the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Golf is £771 per year, or £95 per month. This is for fully comprehensive cover and no optional extras, but your premium may vary significantly based on which model you want to insure, as well as things like your age, location and driving experience.
The average annual cost of insurance for other popular Volkswagen models is as follows:
VW Golf – £760 per year
VW Beetle – £615 per year
How a vehicle from Volkswagen affects the cost of insurance
Insurance companies look at several car-related factors when determining the cost of insurance, including the car’s safety ratings, its likelihood of being stolen, replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility.
Volkswagen models are generally known for being reliable cars with tight handling. They typically garner strong safety ratings, which helps to lower insurance premiums. However some models, especially the Golf, is more popular with criminals, which could push insurance premiums up.
Other factors that affect the cost of insurance include the model, mileage and trim package. Personal factors like your driving history and age also affect your premium.
Are there any standout models?
Back in the mid 70s, Volkswagen unleashed the Golf GTI, an altogether sportier and faster version of the Golf, showing the world how to do affordable, reliable and top performance in one car. Now in its seventh generation, this iconic car is still a big hit. Alloy wheels, lowered sports-like suspension and leather steering grace the latest model, with prices starting at £28,465.
About the Volkswagen brand
Germany-based Volkswagen was founded in 1937, and its mission was to create a car that was affordable and efficient. When Beetles started to appear in the UK in 1952, after British servicemen arrived back home from Germany with their cars, the VW vision started to gain momentum. The following year in 1953, just under 1,000 cars had been sold in the UK. And the rest is history.
In 2014, Volkswagen vehicles were found to emit higher levels of nitrogen oxides than was reported in official environmental standards tests in the US. As a result, Volkswagen’s diesel emissions scandal was uncovered: The manufacturer had installed software in its engines to circumvent proper emissions testing. VW later recalled millions of vehicles worldwide, on top of paying billions of US dollars in penalties and civil settlements and has been working hard to shake off the dent in its reputation.
Volkswagen car facts
- Volkswagen sells cars with a wide spectrum of prices, from the smallest VW Up! priced at £9,600 to the high-end New Touareg starting from £48,995.
- Volkswagen models have scored extremely high safety ratings from the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP), regularly getting the maximum 5-star rating.
- The VW Golf has taken the top spot for World Car of the Year twice, 2009 and 2013. The VW Polo was crowned the winner in 2010 and VW’s smallest model, the VW Up! won in 2012.
- The VW Golf took third place for the world’s most popular car in 2017. At the time of writing in September 2018, more than 34 million have been sold.
- Other Volkswagen models fair well in sales across the world. The VW Tiguan was 8th, the VW Passat/Magotan came 10th place, the VW Bora/Jetta/Sagitar/Vento took 18th place and the VW Polo sat in 19th place for the world’s best selling cars list of 2017.
- You may want more than just third party cover for Volkswagen, especially if it’s more likely to be targeted by criminals. Expanding your protection to third party fire and theft or comprehensive cover might be a better fit for your needs.
Pros and cons of insuring a Volkswagen
- Moderately priced
- Most models have great safety ratings
- Reliable brand
- Some models have high theft rates, including the VW Golf
You may find reasonably priced car insurance for your VW, unless it’s a popular target with thieves, which could mean your premium rises. But be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
Frequently asked questions about Volkswagen
More guides on Finder
Volkswagen Touran insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Touran falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Scirocco insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Scirocco falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Fox insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Fox and see how much you could pay based on age, location and model.
Volkswagen Beetle insurance group and cost
Find out the average cost of insurance for a Volkswagen Beetle based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Volkswagen Tiguan insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Tiguan and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen Up insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Up and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen Passat insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Passat and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen (VW) Polo insurance group and costs
Find out how much it could cost you to insure a Volkswagen Polo and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Volkswagen Golf insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Volkswagen Golf and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ask an Expert