What to expect when insuring a Land Rover. Plus, the insurers that could offer cover.
Iconic British car manufacturer Land Rover originally designed vehicles that were built to last forever. And while you’ll still see some of the older models out and about today, it’s the newer Range Rover models like the Evoque, Sport and Velar that’ll really catch your eye on the roads. If you’re on the hunt for one of these, read on to see how much it might cost to insure one.
What’s the average insurance cost for a Land Rover?
Land Rover models cost a pretty penny, and covering them isn’t cheap, either.
The insurance cost for a Land Rover varies greatly depending on the model you select and your own circumstances. We ran quotes using a specific profile to insure a Range Rover Evoque, one of the more popular models in the UK, and our average cost was £1,730 a year or £155 a month. This is for fully comprehensive cover and no optional extras. Your actual cost could be more or less depending on the Land Rover model you are purchasing, your driving record, the number of miles you drive in a year and the likelihood of it being stolen, among other factors.
Some of the other variables that affect the price of insurance include your age and your location, as well as the year, model and trim package of your Land Rover.
High price tags are the biggest culprits for the heftier insurance costs. However, your premium could be tempered somewhat by Land Rover’s safety features, which may lessen the need for collision repairs. That said, many models are extremely popular with thieves, increasing the likelihood of them being stolen, which in turn, could increase your premium.
Companies that offer cover for Land Rover
Although Land Rover is a luxury manufacturer, most major providers will offer cover. Compare insurers in the table below.
How a vehicle from Land Rover affects insurance costs
Insurance companies look at a car’s safety ratings, its likelihood of being stolen and how costly it is to replace or repair, among other factors, when determining the cost of insurance.
Land Rovers frequently make it onto the list of top stolen cars, and they are expensive to repair or replace, which generally makes these vehicles expensive to insure.
Are there any standout models?
The new Range Rover PHEV is Land Rover’s plug-in hybrid. The PHEV features an intelligent plug-in hybrid display, intelligent routing, plug-in hybrid fuel economy and a refined, silent ride.
This hybrid accelerates to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds, has 398 HP and has a range of 31 miles in full electric vehicle mode.
Prices start at around £72,000.
Pros and cons of a Land Rover
- Luxury vehicle
- Extremely safe with increased safety features across the models
- Higher price tag is likely to result in higher insurance premiums
- Expensive to repair or replace
- Several models are frequently targeted by thieves
Land Rover car facts
- As a luxury car marque, Land Rover models tend to start at the mid level. The Land Rover Discovery Sport starts at around £30,000, while its ultimate Range Rover is priced from around £82,000.
- Land Rovers have score the maximum five-star rating from the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) for the most popular models, including the Land Rover Discovery, Land Rover Discovery Sport, and Range Rover Evoque.
- Many of the vehicles come with safety features like driver alertness warnings and automatic emergency braking. This helps to reduce damage during accidents, helping to keep your insurance from rocketing.
- Some Land Rover models are extremely popular with criminals. In fact, three models made it to the UK’s 2017 top 10 list of most stolen cars. These were the Range Rover, the Land Rover Discovery and the Range Rover Sport.
- While Land Rover remains an established brand in the UK, its largest markets are now in China, followed by the US. The Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Sport and Evoque all do particularly well.
- You may want more than third party cover for this upscale vehicle brand, expanding your protection to either third party fire and theft or comprehensive cover.
What is Land Rover Adventure Travel?
Do you have a desire to venture out to different remote and beautiful locations around the world behind the wheel of a Land Rover? It’s possible when you sign up for one of Land Rover’s Adventure Travel journeys. Experiences include ice driving in the Arctic, trail and off-road driving in Utah and an all-terrain adventure in Africa.
Land Rovers are expensive to purchase and expensive to insure, so be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
Frequently asked questions about Land Rover