What to expect when insuring a Porsche. Plus, the insurers that could cover yours.
Porsche is a German car marque that oozes both luxury and high performance, and it’s adored in the UK just as it is in the rest of the world. The Porsche 911, almost certainly the car maker’s most well-known model, arrived in the 1960s and is still going strong today. If you fancy yourself as the proud owner of a Porsche sometime soon, fasten your seat belt and read on to see how much it could cost to insure.
What’s the average insurance cost for a Porsche?
The average insurance cost of a Porsche varies depending on the model you choose, your location, your driving history and many other factors. But you can expect to pay a hefty premium for one of Porsche’s stylish models.
Using a specific profile, we ran quotes to find the average insurance cost of a Porsche 911 Carrera, a coveted model in the UK, and found it to be £2,037 a year or £192 a month. This is for fully comprehensive cover and no optional extras. Your actual cost could be more or less depending on the model you choose, your age, driving record and location, as well as the number of miles you drive in a year and other factors.
Some of the other variables that affect the price of insurance include the year, model and trim package of your Porsche, how likely it is of being stolen and how costly it is to repair or replace.
Companies that provide cover for Porsche
Most, if not all, of the big-name providers will insure your Porsche. Shop around for the best deal.
How a vehicle from Porsche affects insurance costs
Insurance companies look at several car-related factors when determining the cost of insurance, including the car’s safety ratings, its likelihood of being stolen, and replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility.
A Porsche’s high price tag equates to higher insurance premiums. And because owners will want to protect their investment, most will opt for more than just third party cover. However, the good safety ratings that Porsche models have received can help to temper insurance costs. That said, some models are more likely to be targeted by thieves, which can push those premiums back up.
Other factors that affect the cost of insurance include the model, mileage and trim package. Personal factors like your driving history and age will also be taken into consideration when calculating your insurance.
Are there any standout models?
The Porsche 911 has been in production since 1963. The modern 911’s top-of-the-line GT2 RS references the classic 911 while bringing it into the future with plenty of bite.
Features include a 96.5 inch wheelbase, a top track speed of 211 mph and independent exhaust system with titanium rear silencers. The GT2 RS’s 3.8-litre 6-cylinder twin-turbo engine produces 700 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque, allowing you to go 0-62mph in under 3 seconds, and the 7-speed
Prices start at around £210,000.
Pros and cons of a Porsche
- Good safety ratings
- Luxury car
- Higher price tag
- Costly to repair or replace
- Some models are more likely to be targeted by criminals
Porsche car facts
- Porsche AG was founded in 1931 and is known for manufacturing high-performance luxury German cars.
- Porsche cars have won more than 24,000 races across the world.
- Ferdinand Porsche, the founder of the company, created the first hybrid electric car in 1899. The car used an internal combustion motor as a generator.
- Several Porsche models have been crowned World Performance Car of the Year over the years, including the Porsche Boxster, Cayman, 991 and 911 GT3.
- Porsche has a range of models, including its new Macan, which starts at around £46,000, the Cayenne SUV, from around £56,000 and the sleek and sporty 911 Carrera from around £78,000.
What is Porsche Connect?
Porsche Connect is Porsche’s suite of intelligent services. You can use these services directly through your car or with your smartphone. Features include navigation, news, weather, emergency services and more. From your smartphone, you can lock and unlock your car, find the location of your vehicle and control your Porsche’s climate.
Choose from several packages, including the Car Remote package and the Car Security package.
What is the Porsche Driving Experience?
Since 1999, Porsche has offered unique driving and racing experiences for Porsche enthusiasts at the Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone. This is a unique opportunity for drivers to test out a Porsche they’re thinking of buying, learn how to race or just have some fun driving around in a sports car.
- Porsche Sport Driving School. Discover the full performance of a Porsche whilst learning from a team of professional driving consultants.
- Porsche Tracks. With almost 5km of track, you’ll be able to experience six different track configurations in a variety of simulated driving conditions, including wet, dry, ice and snow.
Porsches aren’t cheap, and neither is the insurance to cover one, so be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
Frequently asked questions about Porsche