Mini car insurance rates
What to expect when insuring a Mini, and what you're likely to pay.
It’s a legendary car that swept Britain off its dancing feet in the swinging ’60s and today remains as popular as ever. So if you’re after one of these iconic cars, then read on to see how much it could cost to insure.
What’s the average insurance cost for a Mini?
The average cost of popular Mini models are:
- Mini Cooper: £600 per year.
- Mini Countryman: £430 per year.
- Mini One: £715 per year.
However, the cost of insurance for a Mini varies depending on the model you choose, your location, your driving history and many other factors. You may expect to pay a higher premium for one of Mini’s more stylish and luxurious models.
Using a specific profile, we ran quotes to find the average insurance cost of a Mini One, one of the UK’s most popular models, and found it to be £715 a year or £65 a month. This is for fully comprehensive cover and no optional extras. Your actual cost could be more or less depending on the model you choose, your age, driving record and location, the number of miles you drive in a year as well as other factors.
Some of the other variables that affect the price of insurance include your the year, model and trim package of your Mini, how likely it is of being stolen and how costly it is to repair or replace.
What insurance group is a Mini?
The general insurance groups of popular Mini models are:
- Mini Hatchback: Insurance groups 11 to 33.
- Mini Clubman: Insurance groups 12 to 40.
- Mini One: Insurance group 13.
- Mini Convertible: Insurance groups 16 to 33.
- Mini Cooper S: Insurance groups 18 to 36.
However, the insurance group of your Mini will depend on its specific make and model with one generally being the cheapest and fifty the most expensive.
How a vehicle from Mini affects insurance costs
Insurance companies look at a car’s safety ratings, its likelihood of being stolen and how costly it is to replace or repair, among other factors, when deterMining the cost of insurance.
Despite a Mini’s diminutive size, it does surprising well in safety tests, which helps to bring down the cost of insuring one. It’s also not too costly to repair or replace, another positive for the cost of insurance. However, there are less expensive cars of the same size out there.
Are there any standout models?
The Mini John Cooper Works GP Concept model is all about the fun of extreme driving, and has been designed with Mini’s motorsport heritage in mind. The current model has a four-cylinder 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine with 227bhp, which reaches 0-62mph in just over six seconds. It boasts 19-inch alloy wheels and there’s a cheerful nod to the car’s British origins with the LED rear lights displaying part of the Union Jack.
Pros and cons of a Mini
- Good safety features
- Reasonable to repair
- Some models are targeted more by criminals
Mini car facts
- The first version of the Mini stayed almost unchanged for four decades. Production of this Mini stopped in 2000.
- Although production of the classical Mini Copper ended, the new generation of Mini cars has retained some of the traditional styling and much of its charm.
- In 2012, the record amount of people that could fit in a Mini car was set at 28, according to Guinness World Records.
- An a division of BMW, Mini has its own model range, including the Mini Convertible, starting at around £20,000, the Mini Clubman, priced around the same figure, and the Mini Countryman, for around £24,000.
What is Mini Connected?
Mini Connected is an infotainment system and free app that bring together navigation, security and connectivity. Features include remotely locking your window or doors, or finding petrol stations or car parks on a journey.
Insuring your Mini won’t be too costly, especially because of its better-than-average safety ratings. But be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Other car brands you might want to see rates for include:
- Alfa Romeo
Frequently asked questions about Mini
More guides on Finder
Mini Countryman insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mini Countryman falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mini Cooper insurance group & cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mini Cooper Hatchback and how to save on your car insurance premiums.